Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD Cybertruck in the snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's speculation right now, and I've never driven a Tesla.

How do you think the RWD cybertruck handle in the snow? I really want to make the jump to a Cybertuck in the next few years. I want the dual motor cybertruck but it might be a little out of my price range. The RWD cybertruck is more affordable but I live in Ohio where we get snow and ice in the winter. That leaves me with the options of try and save up for the dual motor Cybertruck or can I make the single motor RWD cybertruck work for me. If it was FWD this wouldn't be an issue. I've driven plenty of FWD gas cars in the snow.

How do you think the RWD cybertruck handle in the snow? I really want to make the jump to a Cybertuck in the next few years. I want the dual motor cybertruck but it might be a little out of my price range. The RWD cybertruck is more affordable but I live in Ohio where we get snow and ice in the winter. That leaves me with the options of try and save up for the dual motor Cybertruck or can I make the single motor RWD cybertruck work for me. If it was FWD this wouldn't be an issue. I've driven plenty of FWD gas cars in the snow.

IME RWD Teslas do as well as an all wheel drive ICE vehicle in the snow. FWD would actually be worse in a Tesla. Most of the weight in an ICE is in the front, while a Tesla is 50/50 front/back.

I think RWD CT will do a lot better in the snow than what people are thinking

While obviously it won't be as good as awd in the snow, you should be fine. The traction control system on newer cars make rwd easy in the snow now.

It use to be a rwd car or pickup was difficult because they fishtailed in snow so fwd was the go to. Now it's not uncommon to see mustangs and Camaros driving in snow here. With good tires you will be better than most.

After 7 winters in Ontario with plenty of snow, our RWD Tesla works great with winter tires, better than the AWD gas SUV we traded for it.
My verdict, go Cybertruck RWD. (I have dual on order tho for towing capacity)
I totally agree. I've been through two winters here in Buffalo with my RWD Model 3 and it handles really well. But you might also need snow tires. I have them on my 3 but the stock tires on the Cybertruck might be fine.

Reactions: SmartElectric

its winter tyres you need.... not AWD.

Resurrecting this thread... does anyone know if there will be dedicated winter/snow tires available in the 35" size cybertruck will use?

I like to have dedicated winter tires (i.e. soft rubber type) not just the all terrain ones with mountain and snowflake rating. But the selection of dedicatd winter tires in 35" is pretty limited.

Hopefully Tesla will work something out Nokian or Bridgestone to get Hakkapeliitta or Blizzak tires made in 35" size?

Resurrecting this thread... does anyone know if there will be dedicated winter/snow tires available in the 35" size cybertruck will use?

I like to have dedicated winter tires (i.e. soft rubber type) not just the all terrain ones with mountain and snowflake rating. But the selection of dedicatd winter tires in 35" is pretty limited.

Hopefully Tesla will work something out Nokian or Bridgestone to get Hakkapeliitta or Blizzak tires made in 35" size?

We don't know what the wheel and tire size will be yet, but I'm sure there will be at least 2 options. A 35x12.5R20 size is equivalent to 315/60R20, which may have a wider selection of tires. For winter tires, I would go with narrower tires because they will perform better in winter conditions. You can use an online tire size converter to find alternative sizes.

My guess is that a RWD Tesla will be as good or better than a RWD ICE vehicle. Based on my experience with Tesla (Dual Motor), I think it is easier to electronically control electric motors than an ICE motor/transmission system.

If you were living in Colorado, Montana, or Maine, I would strongly recommend to get an all-wheel drive anything. In Ohio... it's a "baby" snow there (based on my experience in Wisconsin and Rochester NY), you should be fine with a RWD vehicle 360 days a year.

The reason RWD trucks perform so poorly in the snow is due to the rear of the vehicle being so light. Depending on the positioning of the battery pack, this could be mitigated by the increased weight (if the pack doesn't cover the bed area you're in the same boat as any ICE truck).

Depending on the snow / ice accumulation, there are some tricks you can use to make your drive easier, such as putting something heavy in bed and upgrading the tires.

RWD cybertruck will be fine in snow. I have driven RWD vehicles exclusively for 15 years without issue. People need to learn to drive. AWD before Tesla mostly helps get the vehicle moving. Most stability systems use braking not acceleration for control. Yes, there are advantages to AWD but they are vastly overstated.

My cybertruck will be AWD but mostly for range and acceleration, and will by my first AWD vehicle.

I have rwd model s 60.....great in the wi Ter in snow tires..... Only time I've been stuck is when wife backed it off the road into 6 inches of slushy snow/ice mix.
I'm in the same boat and would be deciding between rwd and awd cyber.... Extra 150km range and better stereo would easily make me upgrade tho.

Had a 2wd F150 with posi and never had a problem, most just drive too fast.

Nokian make hakka’s up to 44”. It will be fine.

Reactions: kayak1

consider used also
snow/ice - get the AWD - this maybe the last vehicle you ever buy [read: million miles]