Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

RWD & Hydroplaning

Just curious, from other RWD owners, how well do you think the M3 in RWD configs handles the rain? I'm completely shocked how scary it has been a couple times I've been in heavy rain situations. I continuously felt the rear end start to move out on me, and that's while going 45-50mph, it felt completely unstable. And even though it was heavy rain, I was by far the slowest person on the road, so I don't think it was purely the conditions. I've had a mustang before, I figured nothing could be worse than that in the rain, but I legitimately got off the highway and took back roads because of how unstable it felt.

Brand new M3, 3k on it, tires inflated to 45 all around. Have others experienced this? Just curious for answers, as I rented a M3 RWD on Turo before i bought mine, and he had just put new tires on it, and I was shocked at how well it handled the rain, so I don't know if there is something up with mine, or if the stock tires are just that bad?

Upvote 0

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
Some people complain about the RWD in slippery conditions, under acceleration, as they feel the back end get sideways a bit. I don't have first hand experience as I have a dual motor. I think the stability control is more than capable of handling it and you will not do a 180, but it's possible that the couple inches of sideways play before stability control kicks in scares a lot of people. Better tires are always useful. In this case, tires that are better in the rain.

EDIT: I should add that you should not accelerate hard on a slippery surface. With an EV it's hard with all that instant torque. Be gentle on the pedal, or use chill mode if it's easier for you.

Last edited:
what tires are actually on the car? my m3p with dual motors is one of the best wet handling vehicles ive owned, even with race tires.
Your experience isnt totally out of line, but heavy rains and standing water is going to do this. Could there have been excessive standing water on that highway?

better wet rated tires keep you straighter even with hydroplaning...my Hankook RS4 tires have a huge center band tread that acts like a rudder when driving aggressive through puddles.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC