Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD in Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my friend is planning to purchase Model 3 SR. He has concerns with RWD performance in Snow, as he has always owned AWD cars. I did tell him my experience that I never had issues with RWD even without snow tires, although I drive very less.

Has any other RWD owners faced issues in New england area? Does putting snow tires solves this problem ? When is AWD really necessary over RWD with Model 3 ?

One of my friend is planning to purchase Model 3 SR. He has concerns with RWD performance in Snow, as he has always owned AWD cars. I did tell him my experience that I never had issues with RWD even without snow tires, although I drive very less.

Has any other RWD owners faced issues in New england area? Does putting snow tires solves this problem ? When is AWD really necessary over RWD with Model 3 ?
no problem. I'm in Nova Scotia. original LONG RANGE RWD. I do have snow tires but (ironically) the one time I had to go to service centre in Quebec City I left here 20 C ( about 70F). 3 weeks later I retrieved my car. It was snowing heavily in NewBrunswick. My winter tires were in my garage. The car is was fine but better with snow tires.

Reactions: Bobbo8 and jithesh
Always remember; AWD helps you go and Snow Tires help you stop.
Stop and turn! Turning's almost as important as stopping... ;)

I've driven my RWD S through 5 northern NE winters (admittedly, not much in the last one). I have a second set of wheels with Hakkapeliitta winter tires (first R2's, now the newer R3's). The car has excellent traction control and is outstanding in slippery conditions.

The only spot I miss AWD is the steep hill into my neighborhood. When it's really bad out, the car can struggle a bit to maintain speed.