Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD in the snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my Model Y SR out in the snow for the first time and it did much better than I anticipated on 2 inch unplowed roads! I did hit it hard in a couple of turns to test the traction system and it did really well, even the stock tires exceeded my expectations. I did feel and hear something engaging in the front of the car when the car was trying to gain traction, maybe the brakes? I wasn’t sure since there is not supposed to be a motor up there, but it felt and heard like it was assisting the traction system.

Reactions: hakunamattata
Took my Model Y SR out in the snow for the first time and it did much better than I anticipated on 2 inch unplowed roads! I did hit it hard in a couple of turns to test the traction system and it did really well, even the stock tires exceeded my expectations. I did feel and hear something engaging in the front of the car when the car was trying to gain traction, maybe the brakes? I wasn’t sure since there is not supposed to be a motor up there, but it felt and heard like it was assisting the traction system.
Did you change your regeneration (braking) to low or keep it at normal? In both my M3 and MY when the road is snow covered I reduce it and that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Did not realize that. I wonder why since reducing the setting certainly helps to minimize losing traction when regen kicks in on snow. Hopefully they added new functionality that accomplishes the same thing.
No one outside of Tesla knows why they removed the Low setting option. One theory is that the EPA was going to force Tesla to restate the estimated range of the Long Range Model Y after factoring in some Low regeneration. Rather than having to do that Tesla decided, for the time being, to remove the Low setting.

I have a LR RWD 3. It does petty well in the snow. I almost got stuck once in a few inches of snow on a minor incline. I also had issues driving on the highway at about 30-35 mph on slick roads. I was having trouble maintaining speed (30-35mph) on rolling hills without the rear tires spinning. Obviously these were very slick conditions. AWD definitely would have helped, but it might have masked the true lack of traction which would have caused me to drive slightly faster since I'd be unaware of the low surface friction. In this example RWD is "better" because you are aware of low surface friction...plus you always have "AWD braking" so RWD should be somewhat safer since you can stop better than you can go.

• Informative
Reactions: laughMan