TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

RWD in winter

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jjomaski, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jjomaski

jjomaski New Member

I live in buffalo ny and am day one on the list . i can get the base model betewwn jan-mar but awd is not until august . can i drive this car all rear as a red or should i wsit . also any opinions on the cost of awd . thanks to all

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It depends on you. Many people say that RWD Teslas in the winter are just fine especially with actual winter tires on in the winter.

That said, it's highly likely that the AWD model will be a superior car, in build quality, features, and acceleration.

3. Dax279

Dax279 Member

While I agree AWD would be a bit better especially if you have lots of hills in your commute, but am not sure why RWD with proper winter tires would not be fine. I have driven RWDs for years now before getting my 85d and never had an issue. Many of my trips have been through the mountains during pretty bad snow storms and RWD was just fine. I suspect that the weight of the battery and its weight would make the car handle better than the RWD ice cars I was driving (the reviews seem to indicate the car handles better in the dry due to the battery location).

4. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Everything I’ve read says that the RWD Model S with snow tires handles better than most AWD cars, due to the low center of gravity, almost perfect weight distribution, and instant torque response available to the traction control system. I’m planning on getting the RWD and I live in Colorado.

• Like x 1