Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched this thread for several days and understand that current conclusion is no answer. However, I would like to continue checking in case anyone get contacted officially regarding their order.
I think at this time, 2 types of responses are most annoying. 1, Tesla is right (not wrong) to cut lr rwd and not providing further information. The thing is, Tesla removed this config by themselves, not under external pressure, so they could have enough time to prepare the answer. Even as simple as "we will let you know what will happen by xxx" would be much better than silence. 2, awd is better than rwd / worth considering. This is not helpful because even awd is at least $990 more expensive than it was, and for sure if you already paid $2500 for deposit, no reason you would like to pay at least $990 more.
I think at the moment, I would really like to know
1. When we will get further informed, especially if it would be before / during lr awd pre-order production.
2. What options would be available. Delayed (when), upgrade (same as the price when placed order, discount, free, etc.), downgrade to sr (for me this is not an option), or canceled (the worst case, you would need to pay more and at the end of the queue).
3. If there is lr rwd, what would be the range. If we can upgrade, how would the queue look like.

One reason we want some type of information is because we don't know what would be better: pay $100 to order another one (avoid the worst case I listed, but no refund for this $100), or just wait.
It’s NOT $990 more.. for those who did say 1 reservation (like me), you have to pay $2000 (FSD Price increase since then)+ $990 ( Jan’20 price increase)+$4500 AWD upgrade.. total $7490..
That’s why I’m mad as tesla has made no official communication to LR RWD reservation holders..

The thing is, Tesla removed this config by themselves, not under external pressure, so they could have enough time to prepare the answer. Even as simple as "we will let you know what will happen by xxx" would be much better than silence.

This is exactly my thought. As a buddy of mine said, “the hard part of running a car company is making cars profitably. The corporate stuff like messaging is comparatively easy.”

Whenever it was that the production management and the accountants sat down and figured out that it wasn’t worth the cost to build the LR RWD model [full disclosure I’m of the opinion that it will never get made], they should have had some hard discussions with marketing about what to do with deposit holders and how to communicate that message. THEN you make the announcement externally.

Just making that production decision internally and not telling customers OR your sales teams is undisciplined and, frankly, stupid.

I watched this thread for several days and understand that current conclusion is no answer. However, I would like to continue checking in case anyone get contacted officially regarding their order.
I think at this time, 2 types of responses are most annoying. 1, Tesla is right (not wrong) to cut lr rwd and not providing further information. The thing is, Tesla removed this config by themselves, not under external pressure, so they could have enough time to prepare the answer. Even as simple as "we will let you know what will happen by xxx" would be much better than silence. 2, awd is better than rwd / worth considering. This is not helpful because even awd is at least $990 more expensive than it was, and for sure if you already paid $2500 for deposit, no reason you would like to pay at least $990 more.
I think at the moment, I would really like to know
1. When we will get further informed, especially if it would be before / during lr awd pre-order production.
2. What options would be available. Delayed (when), upgrade (same as the price when placed order, discount, free, etc.), downgrade to sr (for me this is not an option), or canceled (the worst case, you would need to pay more and at the end of the queue).
3. If there is lr rwd, what would be the range. If we can upgrade, how would the queue look like.

One reason we want some type of information is because we don't know what would be better: pay $100 to order another one (avoid the worst case I listed, but no refund for this $100), or just wait.

I made a second order for $100. The local tesla sales rep said that they would refund the $100 if needed when we get contacted to make a change to the order.

Will I keep my place in the preorder line if I upgrade to AWD or performance?
Thinking I’ll wait and see what happens in the next month or so, as no one knows for sure right now, and then likely upgrade to an AWD or performance assuming the preorder sequence is respected regardless of trip ordered... I ordered not that long ago so I won’t be among the first deliveries anyway.

Will I keep my place in the preorder line if I upgrade to AWD or performance?
Thinking I’ll wait and see what happens in the next month or so, as no one knows for sure right now, and then likely upgrade to an AWD or performance assuming the preorder sequence is respected regardless of trip ordered... I ordered not that long ago so I won’t be among the first deliveries anyway.

no one really knows if you keep your place in line or not. I changed my order a couple months ago from rwd to awd and kept the same reservation number. Not sure if that means anything though.

no one really knows if you keep your place in line or not. I changed my order a couple months ago from rwd to awd and kept the same reservation number. Not sure if that means anything though.

My assumption is that you would be placed roughly in line with where you would have been had you originally placed an AWD order- it wouldn’t be fair at all for you to be placed at the end of the queue after all the $100 depositors when Tesla has been holding $2500 of your money.

It’s funny how impatient people are when waiting. News doesn’t change the waiting. Knowing doesn’t change the waiting. I remember the time before tracking numbers for shipping were invented so I’m Prepared.

Tesla totally threw reservations out the window with the 3. It all became regional and the “reservations” around the world didn’t matter. Is there any reason to think the Y will be any different? I doubt it.

I look forward to being contacted by Tesla asking what they want me to do with my LR RWD order if they tell me I have to upgrade to AWD.

I’m going to sit back and laugh with 2-8 weeks or more of silence. Maybe they will start having anxiety attacks about not knowing my response.

If they refund my money without asking, I’ll just buy Tesla stock with it. At least I can check on it every minute of every weekday.

It’s funny how impatient people are when waiting. News doesn’t change the waiting. Knowing doesn’t change the waiting.

I disagree. If I had a very relevant piece of information- if Tesla were going to offer me a Model Y at roughly $50k or less- I would happily wait, with a lot less anxiety. [And if they wouldn’t, I would quickly change my order to a Model 3.]

It’s the “not knowing” that makes me anxious, not the length of time I have to wait.

I disagree. If I had a very relevant piece of information- if Tesla were going to offer me a Model Y at roughly $50k or less- I would happily wait, with a lot less anxiety. [And if they wouldn’t, I would quickly change my order to a Model 3.]

It’s the “not knowing” that makes me anxious, not the length of time I have to wait.
yes, if i was told "buy the $51k version as the $48k version will be in some purgatory state" up front, i'd just do that. but at this point i've lent tesla $2500 for quite a few months, without knowing if it's best to wait, or to put in another order, or what? (and if i had known the price would go up $2k i'd certainly would've just opted to pay $51k last year)

Reactions: Dadiggaman
It’s NOT $990 more.. for those who did say 1 reservation (like me), you have to pay $2000 (FSD Price increase since then)+ $990 ( Jan’20 price increase)+$4500 AWD upgrade.. total $7490..
That’s why I’m mad as tesla has made no official communication to LR RWD reservation holders..
Yes, that's why I say at least. The earlier you made the order, the worse the worst possible case could be, which is super unfair.

Why do people think RWD orders won't be honored?
I just see that it's not offered anymore. I feel lucky i got my order in before the option was pulled from the website.
I'm guessing they will do same thing to us they did with the 3's-
Honor the high dollar orders first, build the RWD cars later.

Reactions: benh57
Why do people think RWD orders won't be honored?
I just see that it's not offered anymore. I feel lucky i got my order in before the option was pulled from the website.
I'm guessing they will do same thing to us they did with the 3's-
Honor the high dollar orders first, build the RWD cars later.
Perhaps because some of us have received chat messages that state RWD won't be made. Of course since that isn't official who knows but it does raise concerns.