Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2 reps I spoke to near me (albeit, I spoke to like 7 since socal has so many tesla showrooms) told me to wait and don't change anything. Of course the other 5 had different answers such as "your order won't be fulfilled" to "it will be fulfilled in 2021", but I figure waiting isn't going to hurt

...Although Elon says RWD is a perfectly safe car on its own in snow with good tires, I like the idea of AWD for added performance and must be at least a measurable amount safer in terms of control...
I drive RWD with snow tires on snow and ice and do fine. RWD with regular all season tires didn't work at all — I had to use chains to get up my long curved, steep driveway. AWD with all season tires is sort of a compromise: it will usually be enough to get you going in slick conditions but it isn't nearly as safe when it comes to stopping on snow and ice. The best performance and safety is AWD with snow tires.

In my experience, people with AWD and all season tires have a tendency to become overconfident because they have somewhat better traction to get going than 2WD cars. Then they hit that icy patch at a stoplight or stop sign and go sliding on through an intersection. Or need to swerve to avoid an obstacle and end up in a ditch. AWD helps get you going but does nothing to help stop in slick conditions.

For those of us who drive on snow and ice a lot, nothing beats modern snow tires plus anti-lock brakes and modern traction control. I sometimes slam on the brakes on snowpack just to see what will happen — my RWD S60 with snow tires stops dead straight, every time.

For those who only deal with snow and ice on occasion, AWD with all season tires will work so long as you are keenly aware that you can't stop or turn easily and you compensate by going slowly and being very careful in slick conditions.

My take on the subject from 45+ years of driving on snow.

Good info thanks. I live in Dallas....what about having summer tires since it only snows maybe once per season?

I live in Dallas. I've had cars with high performance summer tires year round and they're fine for the most part. The handful of freezing cold and/or icy days we get, you really can't drive on them though. Zero traction. I prefer a performance all season for this reason.

You shouldn't take the risk of driving with summer tires in snow conditions. The rubber composition makes those tires to become very hard at low temperatures and you will end up without any grip left.

As well high performance all season tires have way better tread life than summer tires. My personal favorites are Michelin A/S 3+ (not sure if they have the proper

Good info thanks. I live in Dallas....what about having summer tires since it only snows maybe once per season?

You shouldn't take the risk of driving with summer tires in snow conditions. The rubber composition makes those tires to become very hard at low temperatures and you will end up without any grip left.

As well high performance all season tires have way better tread life than summer tires. My personal favorites are Michelin A/S 3+ (not sure if they have the proper

Truth. I had a couple Porsches and I was replacing those tires every 6 months...and they were expensive af. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep them in mind for the future.

If I understand what’s going on, let me suggest a different way to look at the Y situation:

Tesla pulled overall Y production ahead from “Fall” to “summer”. Ok. That’s 3 months. Fall means Dec 19, the last day before winter. Summer means the last day before fall (Sep 19).

They surprised us with production “starting in January” in their February quarterly statement. This is really 8 months ahead of sep 19 and 11 months ahead of dec 19.

If AWD and performance are the only Ys they sell between now and December, then they maximize profit and minimize mix. They don’t have to produce 5,000 cars per week to make money. They can get by on 1,000 cars or less per week (just a guess).

Anyone who gets antsy and upgrades to AWD benefits Tesla in the most maximum way (especially with FSD which is all pure profit wince there's no extra HW In The cars).

If they eventually produce LR RWD, but don’t start until December then NOTHING was delayed. We get our Ys on schedule. SRs don’t get delivered until some time in 2021.

Everyone is happy.

Well, everyone except those who can’t go a minute without an email from Tesla explaining the mixed messages or lack of messages regarding their RWD orders and the changes on the web site.

So the message is be patient or raise more money to pay for AWD.

I tried it within one minute after posting. There just doesn't seem to be a button to edit.
Some forums don't grant edit privileges to new members - Tesla Motors Club may be one of them. I seem to recall not being able to edit for a while but not too long. Not sure if they monitor number of posts or time as a member to determine when you'll be able to edit. Maybe someone else who knows the edit privilege rules can chime in?

Some forums don't grant edit privileges to new members - Tesla Motors Club may be one of them. I seem to recall not being able to edit for a while but not too long. Not sure if they monitor number of posts or time as a member to determine when you'll be able to edit. Maybe someone else who knows the edit privilege rules can chime in?

Yes, that sounds likely. Let's stop going OT in this thread now :)

I don’t think Tesla will cheat on LR RWD for SR. My take is Tesla is pushing people indirectly to jump the ship from RWD to AWD. Once they have final numbers on RWD, they will decide if making LR RWD worth the money (with separate lines in manufacturing for limited edition). Then either will upgrade remaining RWD holders to AWD or force them for SR+..
Can you please tell me where that FAQ is located. I don't see that

I cannot find any FAQ on the Tesla order page at Tesla.com. can you please give me the URL for this FAQ. This is not what my sales rep told me.

Would someone please provide the URL for the FAQ that says the RWD will not be made now? I cannot find this online.
This is not what my sales rep is saying.
I talked to Tesla a week ago and they said they have not been informed as to what is going on with the RWD. It is March and Tesla need to
talk to us if the RWD is gone. The prepare for delivery menu popped up on my account last week.

Would someone please provide the URL for the FAQ that says the RWD will not be made now? I cannot find this online.
This is not what my sales rep is saying.
I talked to Tesla a week ago and they said they have not been informed as to what is going on with the RWD. It is March and Tesla need to
talk to us if the RWD is gone. The prepare for delivery menu popped up on my account last week.
There is no official source from Tesla either confirming or denying the RWD will be made. Positively frustrating.
When I spoke with the local sales advisor yesterday he flatly stated the RWD would never be made even while he talked to me and was working with corporate sales on my order.
He is the 3rd sales person to tell me this but I know others have been told differently. I do have this chat message but I don't consider that official.

LR RWD Chat Screen Shot.PNG