Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm here.. still waiting for an update for Tesla.. or at least a paussible way to upgrade RWD to AWD without huge price increase (recalculate car value at todays value vs ordering last year when FSD was at 6k). Still cant believe they didn't addressed us before offering the 7-seat to 5-seat downgrade option to few customers, since those guys did expect their car for 2021 or later, while RWD we expected almost the same treatment or close as the AWD/Performance (well they dint explicit said their plans to push RWD off till 2 months ago, and not while ordering). Plus offering AWD upgrades for a price == more profit for the same car.

And to add something on my particular mix I'm from Mexico, so who knows when they will start exporting model Ys down here, according to dealer they expect their first deliveries till June/July (AWD/P?) Who knows.. i bet they dont know either.

Hopefully we hear something new after this/next week start with deliveries.
With no communication from Tesla I'm getting closer and closer to ordering an E-Mach1. My first car was a 69 Mach 1 so I guess it's meant to be.

Given lower financing rates, I was considering going ahead and upgrading. After seeing more Model 3s in the wild in Blue, i wasn't crazy about the color anyway (blue/white) and wanted to change to white/black.

I noticed, it is no longer allowing me to edit my design like it used to. It just redirects back to my account page. Tried both firefox and *gasp* IE. Also tested on mobile with the same response. Not sure if it means anything significant, but its a change at least.

I wonder if the delay in RWD is partially due to Model Y AWD using a heat pump for heating:
Model Y uses a heat pump to maximize efficiency; therefore, your air conditioning compressor and external fan may run and make noise even when the outside temperature is cold and your vehicle is heating or supercharging.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
high voltage.png

Heat pumps don't work well at very low temperatures, so the placement right next to the front motor is probably as a backup heat source similar to how the front motor is used to heat up the batteries.

But for RWD models, looks like there would need to be an alternative heat source to design.

Reactions: aronth5
Given lower financing rates, I was considering going ahead and upgrading. After seeing more Model 3s in the wild in Blue, i wasn't crazy about the color anyway (blue/white) and wanted to change to white/black.

I noticed, it is no longer allowing me to edit my design like it used to. It just redirects back to my account page. Tried both firefox and *gasp* IE. Also tested on mobile with the same response. Not sure if it means anything significant, but its a change at least.

Same for my account.

I wonder if the delay in RWD is partially due to Model Y AWD using a heat pump for heating:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
View attachment 521404

Heat pumps don't work well at very low temperatures, so the placement right next to the front motor is probably as a backup heat source similar to how the front motor is used to heat up the batteries.

But for RWD models, looks like there would need to be an alternative heat source to design.

Do you think the RWD will have lower range due to not having the heat pump?

Tesla will co e through. When an order is taken and no time for execution of the contract is given, California courts will impute a “reasonable time” to perform. Once a deposit is taken, a clause excusing performance requires reasonable cause to excuse performance. Not wanting to build the car they advertised and accepted a deposit for sale is not reasonable cause.

But also, from the purchase agreement, "We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after you place your pre-order..." So I wonder if someone threatened to take Tesla to court, they could just refund everyone's deposit and say, "sorry, folks."

But also, from the purchase agreement, "We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after you place your pre-order..." So I wonder if someone threatened to take Tesla to court, they could just refund everyone's deposit and say, "sorry, folks."
Funny you mentioned the purchase agreement. The link doesn't exist anymore. I can not find it in my account.

If you look at the order tracker sheet, RWD pre-orders only make up about 10% of the orders. That's not many at all. And it seems really unlikely to me that they'd do a special production run to make a few thousand cars at most.
You may be right but 10% of a million cars sold is 100K which is more then a few thousand cars. Tesla expects to deliver upwards of 500k Model Y's annually.
You also have to be careful to assume the order tracker sheet associated with a Tesla forum would be representative all buyers who may not be as enthusiastic to spend the extra money for AWD.

I have that file as well but that is the "Pre-Order" agreement, not the "Purchase" agreement, the actual purchase agreement only shows up after you are assigned a VIN.

100% correct. My mistake.

But regardless of which document this is in, I think the statement I quoted gives Tesla some protection if they wish to simply cancel a model type and give customers their money back. That's terrible optics, of course, but I don't think they could be held legally responsible in any sort of way if they did that.

Seems the edit design is bugged now.
Tried to change to AWD but the price and range is all mess up....

I'm starting to lose hope in RWD.
My car lease is going to finish in Dec 2020 so i need a car before that.
I don't think they would produce RWD and even they would I don't think it's going to be 2020.

Seems the edit design is bugged now.
Tried to change to AWD but the price and range is all mess up....

I'm starting to lose hope in RWD.
My car lease is going to finish in Dec 2020 so i need a car before that.
I don't think they would produce RWD and even they would I don't think it's going to be 2020.

December 2020 is a long way away. My recommendation is to give Tesla another month to get through the first batch of deliveries before you give up. Remember the car was originally not gong to be delivered until Fall 2020, they are way ahead of schedule.

You may be right but 10% of a million cars sold is 100K which is more then a few thousand cars. Tesla expects to deliver upwards of 500k Model Y's annually.
You also have to be careful to assume the order tracker sheet associated with a Tesla forum would be representative all buyers who may not be as enthusiastic to spend the extra money for AWD.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. First, I don't think they're going to make the LR RWD as a part of the regular Model Y lineup moving forward, since they no longer make the same variant in the Model 3.

Second, and this is what I was getting at in my post, I don't think that they will make a special run of cars just to fulfill the 10% of pre-orders of the LR RWD- that's the small number that I was referring to.

But to make sure my math was correct I went back and filtered the spreadsheet to orders placed before Feb 1, 2020, which is 555. Of those, 109 were RWD orders, which makes about 20%- previously I had inadvertently included orders after the Q1 earnings call (when the pre-order price was reduced) so that skewed my numbers.

That said, I still think it's unlikely that they'll make a special run for that slice of pre-orders. I have no idea how many Model Y's were pre-ordered, but let's say for kicks it was 10,000 cars. At 20% that's 2,000 cars, which is still less than the number of roadsters Tesla made (~2,500). So I see a production run that small- especially for a lower margin car (compared to AWD or Performance) as being really unlikely.

Tesla must be mucking around with the RWD configuration based on what I just looked at which is different then the other day.
I love the purchase price after savings of $6,800. Quick deliver my Y-:)
Multiple errors
1) Purchase price of $0 is priceless
2) Model Y isn't eligible for Mass Rebate- too expensive
3) Gas savings should be zero- since it will replace my Model 3
Why Tesla cannot just list the price without the savings estimate is beyond me.

My local sales advisor is still stating I will get a call from Corporate sales to get me a reasonable AWD upgrade price. Not holding my breath but we shall see.
Pricing Model Y.PNG