Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my luck the RWD gets released with the AWD or something...

tenor.gif

Looks like they updated my order with the Gemini wheels. Like I said, I’m curious what the LR RWD range is vs the AWD. Historically the AWD has less range vs RWD?
After reading this I checked my order also. Looks like I was upgraded also. With all these changes, do you think our price will be honored or should we be expecting a price increase when pay up time comes? This is my first TESLA, so not sure if this happened with model 3 buyers or not.

This is my first TESLA, so not sure if this happened with model 3 buyers or not.
The model 3 preorder wait was different. You didn't configure anything until 2 months or so before delivery. The options were settled by then. When changes were made, like when RWD was dropped, they just stopped offering it and stopped making them once they delivered all of that configuration.

The model 3 preorder wait was different. You didn't configure anything until 2 months or so before delivery. The options were settled by then. When changes were made, like when RWD was dropped, they just stopped offering it and stopped making them once they delivered all of that configuration.

Ah ok. So we really don't know then if our pre order price will be honored ... but you're saying theres a chance;)

They will eventually come back to RWD. They are back to focusing on the higher end products first, then will turn to the lower end after they get everything up to full capacity. I'd expect to see more info in the coming months on the timeline. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it ready to go by mid-to-late Summer 2020.

I don't see how they could lose that much per car. I'd love to get AWD for free but I cannot imagine them eating that cost. I am hoping for some sort of upgrade, maybe FSD or something that doesn't cost them that much, or more realistically IMHO that they just make a limited number of RWD Model Ys. Its not like other discontinued options where they don't have the parts for it. They have rear drive units.
I agree. But they will weigh between costs on producing limited LR RWD vs AWD. They have to have separate lines in production for LR RWD. note that SR or SR+ not in discussions yet. They have the numbers of orders. They’ll figure out either producing RWD or upgrading RWD orders to AWD makes them profit. We may end up paying for the upgrade too, who knows.

I agree. But they will weigh between costs on producing limited LR RWD vs AWD. They have to have separate lines in production for LR RWD. note that SR or SR+ not in discussions yet. They have the numbers of orders. They’ll figure out either producing RWD or upgrading RWD orders to AWD makes them profit. We may end up paying for the upgrade too, who knows.
In reading through the replies I think I have a better idea on what might be happening. Since TESLA is about to start delivering, and isn't planning on doing the RWD right away, it makes more sense to not offer it until they're ready to start to deliver (catch up on AWD deliveries). Once they are caught up on the AWD, I can see them re add the RWD and start to produce those. TESLA is too smart to turn away potential clients.

RWD owners will probably be called to see if they'll upgrade, but I don't think TESLA will cancel those orders and jump bump them down the line.

In reading through the replies I think I have a better idea on what might be happening. Since TESLA is about to start delivering, and isn't planning on doing the RWD right away, it makes more sense to not offer it until they're ready to start to deliver (catch up on AWD deliveries). Once they are caught up on the AWD, I can see them re add the RWD and start to produce those. TESLA is too smart to turn away potential clients.

RWD owners will probably be called to see if they'll upgrade, but I don't think TESLA will cancel those orders and jump bump them down the line.
That sounds more logical. I guess they are also pushing the new orders with AWD to tune more profits. Also RWD will become limited edition like M3 RWD and converted to MY SR+ later when MY SR being marketed

This makes no sense at all. LR RWD is a premium product that is exactly what they started with for the M3
Also they have been advertising it since launch last March and no doubts have thousands of orders
They will build them along with AWD. No way they will piss early reservation holders who paid $2500 a year ago with a full extra year delay haha

Reactions: dontblinkdoc
This makes no sense at all. LR RWD is a premium product that is exactly what they started with for the M3
Also they have been advertising it since launch last March and no doubts have thousands of orders
They will build them along with AWD. No way they will piss early reservation holders who paid $2500 a year ago with a full extra year delay haha
I think this depends on something we don't have visibility in to which is the number of AWDP vs AWDLR vs RWD pre ordered. If most are the higher higher end then they would make what makes them the most amount of money first. I'm sure there are lots of RWD orders, but are they at the same rate as the other more profitable variants? We just don't have that information yet.

Reactions: Dadiggaman
Do you think that they are going the route of the Model X in a sense that they are only doing AWD now to just be that much better than the competition? Many other SUV’s have AWD as a standard, maybe with the efficiency gains they have stated, it is viable to only have an AWD version.

Thoughts?

I have a LR RWD pre-ordered. I understand things change. But like others have noted, people have been pre-ordering LR RWD for almost a year. I find it hard to believe Tesla is just going to abandon these people. I am hoping for the best.

Hopefully they will at least let us know.

Do you think that they are going the route of the Model X in a sense that they are only doing AWD now to just be that much better than the competition? Many other SUV’s have AWD as a standard, maybe with the efficiency gains they have stated, it is viable to only have an AWD version.

Thoughts?
This seems reasonable. I have been scoping out other cars in the segment (Macan, Stelvio etc) lately to get a feel for the size of the Y and they all only come in AWD. While I don't mind RWD, it does make sense that they've decided offering only AWD would be more competitive.

Thoughts?
I don't think they'll remove the option for good. If they want to sell as many EVs as possible, without dropping the AWD price, they'll have to offer a RWD option. Some people can't or just don't want to spend that much on a car. I do think the AWD is more profitable for them and will be why they're pushing them for now. I think the RWD will be reintroduced on the website when they catch up on current pre orders of the more profitable cars.