Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone who ordered a RWD with $2500 down payment (i.e. pre $990 price increase) been able to upgrade to AWD and NOT be charged the new $990 price increase? I don't want to change anything else, just go from RWD to AWD,

I saw on Twitter that Ryan Shaw upgraded his wheels via chat to the 20" ones and only got charged $1500 extra and not $3000 extra, but it is a $3000 risk if you try it..

But most people I've seen got hit with the price increase..

Reactions: mhcrowder
Still no response to my email back asking them for any update on the LR RWD orders

I just got off the phone with another Tesla worker. He said they are having issues due to restructuring and the delivery team is smaller team now.

He also said that when the 3 came out they decided not to make the Performance model but still filled those orders that has 2500 deposits eventually, Anyone know If this is true?

Again I was told that the RWDs are not in product yet.

Again I was told to wait for a call or email but understand that the notification and delivery team is mainly new people who are prone to mistakes.

I just got off of a Chat with Tesla. The response I got back was that the only options I have right now is to upgrade through the website and be subject to the new pricing or wait for the RWD. I guess I'm going to wait and see what happens. Now that they've got Fremont line shutdown, maybe they can get caught up and figure out what to do about the RWD orders. But who am I kidding!

I just got off the phone with another Tesla worker. He said they are having issues due to restructuring and the delivery team is smaller team now.

He also said that when the 3 came out they decided not to make the Performance model but still filled those orders that has 2500 deposits eventually, Anyone know If this is true?

Again I was told that the RWDs are not in product yet.

Again I was told to wait for a call or email but understand that the notification and delivery team is mainly new people who are prone to mistakes.

I recall that LR RWD came out first for the Model 3, then the performance etc.. But then again I remember that they still made the Mid-Range model 3 for people who ordered it even though they discontinued it.

They also made the Silver Metallic Model 3 for people who had reservations for it eventually after it was discontinued.

I am hopeful that they will make the LR RWD Model Y, it will just take some time. Plus although it would be super nice to have the car now, it does seem like the earlier ones have a few cosmetic issues and not many accessories are out and so if they do eventually make the RWD, hopefully the accessory market is more mature.. Waiting on the 3D Maxpider floor mats for the Model Y.

I don't even mind that much anymore as my cash is collecting interest that I can use for accessories, HomeLink, charger etc..

Has anybody called Tesla to inquire about the delivery dates for LR RWD?
Mine is also listed as Prepare for Delivery and they provided a phone number where questions can be addressed.
I ordered a RWD Model Y in October 2018 and have recently heard about the possibility of Tesla not manufacturing the RWD until next year. I also received a message on my account that said 'Get Ready for Delivery' and I've provided them with my address. I started an online chat in the support section of the site and they forwarded my information to a person on their sales team. I received a call within an hour and spoke with a fellow who confirmed they will not be producing the Model Y RWD until the first quarter of 2021 and that if I upgraded to the AWD version I could expect delivery in April 2020. I decided to upgrade to the AWD but won't hold my breath for an April delivery. I do hope to see it sometime in the summer.

• Informative
Reactions: mgraff
I ordered a RWD Model Y in October 2018 and have recently heard about the possibility of Tesla not manufacturing the RWD until next year. I also received a message on my account that said 'Get Ready for Delivery' and I've provided them with my address. I started an online chat in the support section of the site and they forwarded my information to a person on their sales team. I received a call within an hour and spoke with a fellow who confirmed they will not be producing the Model Y RWD until the first quarter of 2021 and that if I upgraded to the AWD version I could expect delivery in April 2020. I decided to upgrade to the AWD but won't hold my breath for an April delivery. I do hope to see it sometime in the summer.

Did they make you pay the full price of the upgrade, or did they adjust to what it would have been without the price increases since your original reservation?

Reactions: Nullogy45
I thought that there was some evidence or facts supporting the post when I first saw it on Twitter.. Then when I realized that their evidence was the delivery info page and a whole bunch of speculation.. I was shaking my head the whole way while reading it..
What is it with every EV news website being so dang click-baity? Electrek generally has good content, but they have very little journalistic prowess. They will turn the slightest tidbit of info into a big story. Inside EVs, Teslaratia, etc. just generate pure clickbait.

We need a Motortrend or Motor1 of the EV world.

Just saw someone post that they contacted Tesla yesterday to change their AWD order color and rims which resulted in them getting delivery the same day because they had one available. Interesting thing is that the person got the same configuration as me but in AWD and is in the same region as me as well, man I could have potentially gotten delivery if I had ordered the AWD!

The most interesting thing I found with their post is that they stated that they paid the same price for the upgrades as when they had ordered so they were not subject to the $990 price increase or the $500 increase in the induction rims.

That being said, I wonder if changing from RWD to AWD will trigger the price increase of $990 or will we get the same price as when we ordered.. I don't want to take a risk for that but from several data points that I have seen, it appears that if you upgrade and get the right adviser you should be able to get the price of when you ordered. Or maybe you will get the original price that you ordered if you have the AWD at the original price and then change accessories..

Reactions: aronth5
Just saw someone post that they contacted Tesla yesterday to change their AWD order color and rims which resulted in them getting delivery the same day because they had one available. Interesting thing is that the person got the same configuration as me but in AWD and is in the same region as me as well, man I could have potentially gotten delivery if I had ordered the AWD!

The most interesting thing I found with their post is that they stated that they paid the same price for the upgrades as when they had ordered so they were not subject to the $990 price increase or the $500 increase in the induction rims.

That being said, I wonder if changing from RWD to AWD will trigger the price increase of $990 or will we get the same price as when we ordered.. I don't want to take a risk for that but from several data points that I have seen, it appears that if you upgrade and get the right adviser you should be able to get the price of when you ordered. Or maybe you will get the original price that you ordered if you have the AWD at the original price and then change accessories..

interesting. Where did you see this - link?

I have a data point to add. LR RWD Reservation holder since day 1. I originally chose 18” which turned into Gemini. Did not like the wheels, so I spoke to a delivery advisor today. It only cost me $1500 (not $2000) to upgrade.

I asked if I could upgrade to AWD for $4k instead of $6.5k ($.5 wheel price increase, $990 base price increase, and $1k FSD increase). I was told that any power train upgrades cause current pricing to come into affect. Not what I wanted to hear.

To make things worse (for what it’s worth) he confirmed RWD LR, SR, or 7 seat won’t be made until 2021.

Again, I can only confirm the $1500 wheel part - since I have an updated invoice. But would 100% pay the original $4k difference for AWD to get it in 2020 if someone can confirm it’s possible.

Reactions: mhcrowder