Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my opinion.. there will never be a RWD MY. I think eventually there will be a SR+ that will have slightly lower range to previously advertised RWD. That or Tesla will bring back RWD for both M3 and MY (a less likely scenario). Hard to imagine a scenario where there is a RWD for one of the models (MY/M3) and not the other.
Tesla's Shanghai factory recently began producing the LR RWD M3. It wouldn't surprise me if the LR RWD MY is next.

Tesla's Shanghai factory recently began producing the LR RWD M3. It wouldn't surprise me if the LR RWD MY is next.
Well the Model Y isn't scheduled to be built in the Shanghai factory until Q1 of next year so that doesn't help folks that ordered RWD last year and want an answer now. Tesla's lack of communication is totally unacceptable but not surprising knowing their past history. There really is no excuse for the behavior and I speak as both a fan and long time investor.

Tesla makes great EVs, but their sales practice is terrible (not delivering on their promises, lack of communication and etc.). I pre-ordered the LR RWD with FSD. If there is no mentioning of the LR RWD in the Q2 earnings, I will probably just move on and upgrade to AWD without FSD.

Disappointing chat with a Tesla rep today. Looks like LR RWD may never be produced.

Me
10:43 AM
Hi Sarah. Is there a Model Y available for a test drive at the Sarasota UTC store?

Thank you for reaching out. It does not look like that location offers the Model Y just yet. I do see you have an order placed! Correct?

Me
10:45 AM
Yes. We placed it right after the reveal for a LR RWD. Any idea as to what the plan for RWD is?

We expect a Standard RWD option to be available in 2021.

10:46 AM
How about long range?

We do not expect Long Range Rear Wheel Drive to go into production.

10:48 AM
Are you offering any incentives for LR RWD orders to upgrade to AWD? If we change our order to AWD what is the lead time for delivery?

You are able to change your order if desired. We will be in touch directly with any updates to your delivery time line. I would also like to make you aware that any updates to your order would be subject to current pricing.

Disappointing chat with a Tesla rep today. Looks like LR RWD may never be produced.

Me
Hi Sarah. Is there a Model Y available for a test drive at the Sarasota UTC store?

Thank you for reaching out. It does not look like that location offers the Model Y just yet. I do see you have an order placed! Correct?

Me
Yes. We placed it right after the reveal for a LR RWD. Any idea as to what the plan for RWD is?

How about long range?

Are you offering any incentives for LR RWD orders to upgrade to AWD? If we change our order to AWD what is the lead time for delivery?

You are able to change your order if desired. We will be in touch directly with any updates to your delivery time line. I would also like to make you aware that any updates to your order would be subject to current pricing.

I also ordered day one and have jumped every hoop and filled out everything they have asked me too including submitting a copy of insurance and am still waiting for my final contract. I asked about upgrading to AWD and was told the same thing. As a stockholder and customer (3rd Tesla) this type of customer service is going to hurt the company in upcoming years with more brands to choose from. I actually sold my S a few months ago when they asked us to finalize our orders. They have had my $2,500 for over a year. I should have bought stock instead of using the money for a deposit. I think the stock was in the $250 range... I would think they have thousands of LR RWD orders on the books. I will cancel before I pay the current price, I would also upgrade if they would only charge the difference in price between the RWD and AWD.

I also ordered day one and have jumped every hoop and filled out everything they have asked me too including submitting a copy of insurance and am still waiting for my final contract. I asked about upgrading to AWD and was told the same thing. As a stockholder and customer (3rd Tesla) this type of customer service is going to hurt the company in upcoming years with more brands to choose from. I actually sold my S a few months ago when they asked us to finalize our orders. They have had my $2,500 for over a year. I should have bought stock instead of using the money for a deposit. I think the stock was in the $250 range... I would think they have thousands of LR RWD orders on the books. I will cancel before I pay the current price, I would also upgrade if they would only charge the difference in price between the RWD and AWD.

I spoke to my NA Tesla sales advisor yesterday (5/21) and got the same message: he would go in and fill out a case with corporate and change my November order to AWD BUT the current book pricing would go into effect. He said there is nothing he could do when I asked to simply pay the difference only for AWD upgrade ($4,000) from my original order date. I will be following up with him today to confirm our phone discussion - and clarify whether the premium wheel pricing I got for $1,500 at time of order will remain intact (induction wheels are $2,000 at current book pricing). I have to keep the MY under $55K in order to qualify for a $5K NJ EV rebate program announced in January so for me the book price means I have to limit my color/interior options if I want the 20" wheels.

Tesla sales reps responses on LR RWD are all over the place. I can't see Telsa honoring the old prices giving the current demand and push for higher margins. This situation just sucks!

It'd be "fine" (still shitty) if it were actually just sales reps blowing hot air or miscommunicating, but if some people are getting concessions and others aren't, that's not cool.

I have yet to see concrete evidence that anyone got an actual concession. It's mentioned here and there, but no one has posted a screenshot of an order with a line item discount.

Me

Me

How about long range?

I believe that is what they call. Bait and switch
And it is not legal

• Funny
Reactions: CyberShy
You're order agreement includes a line about cancelling your order and refunding your deposit/order fee if they decide to not make what you ordered. They aren't trying to switch you to something else.

If you even have to start reading the fine print of an order agreement - or contemplate evaluating the circumstances around deposit refunds when there is zero communication about something they changed their mind to make - then I agree...it’s not bait and switch - it’s just crappy customer service and poor corporate communications.

I'm assuming it isn't in their production schedule/calendar right now but it can definitely change in the future so that they do a limited production of these maybe like a 1-2 week run, a LR battery in a SR RWD build. I am assuming there are 1000-2000 RWD orders, maybe they can convince 30% to upgrade to AWD but the other 70% is still a lot of cars/potential profit (I am not sure what the profits are for each). Maybe it isn't worth it for Tesla to fufill these orders but if demand slows they will still have a good amount of people who want a RWD car which they can make to potentially make some profit and sell more units.

I remember some people ordered the silver color after it was discontinued and Tesla still made that color for them, what about the mid-range model 3?

Anyways my $2,500 deposit is a lost cause, I probably should have trusted my gut feeling that this would happen and bought Tesla stock and bought a AWD model now and probably already have it.

I feel as though all the reps and all the people stating that the RWD will not be made may be Tesla employees trying to scare and convince people to upgrade to the AWD right now so that they can sell the car.

For me, I will wait because I am assuming that a SR Model Y would be RWD because it may be hard to have a AWD dual motor Model Y at $39-40K..

I'll wait and see when the SR comes out if they make the LR RWD, if not, I will probably buy a Cyber Truck or put the money I saved towards an investment property..

Not going to need the car any time soon especially with the what is going on in the world so I can wait it out..

Reactions: mgraff
I preordered my Model Y LR RWD the night of the reveal and plunked down my $2500. It was the perfect choice and perfect price point for me because I could afford the FSD which I really want. I felt good about it, especially as prices for everything have gone up since. I was excited as news surfaced that they were ahead of schedule and sold my main car to save toward my eventual downpayment over and above the $2500. Then... one day they seemed to drop LR RWD and I didnt know what to do. Several calls to reps convinced me not to alter my order and instead I plunked down $100 deposit on a second order for an AWD but without FSD which truly sucks.
I’ve since filled out all the info including credit report, etc and two different reps have called me but each advised me differently. One said that they felt that my original RWD LR would probably be made by end of the year but that sounded more like her hunch than factual info. And the other rep thought it might not be made at all or perhaps sometime in 2021. Its all so lame. On the one hand I really want the FSD but I simply cant go without a car til some unknown date in 2021. Tesla has the right to make what they want but its so incredibly disrespectful to us eager customers who forked over thousands of dollars for a product they presented us at a pricepoint they presented and not convey where that stands. I feel they need to either honor these original LR RWD orders next or they should incentivize us to upgrade by just charging the RWD to AWD difference of that time. C’mon Elon. We are your biggest fans and loyalists. Dont let US down.

Reactions: JustSaying and 1051
Has no one tweeted a question to Musk asking about this lack of info on the LR RWD Y? I don’t the Twitter.

It’s just crappy customer service and poor corporate communications.
What company are you talking about? This is Tesla. Customer service ceased in 2018 when the 3 was launched.

Last edited:
I made my "reservation" for a LR RWD MY a year ago. I though my $2500 put me in line and by line I thought anyone putting their $2500 after me would get their car after me. Surprise. Tesla can't crew gum and walk at the same time so only certain colors and configurations are produced. So now we have people putting in orders and receiving their cars within weeks because they chose the current configuration. Now I wonder what line I'm in. Finally I get it. By having my reservation I lock in the price of the car and upgrades I chose. Yes, that seems true so far. But to get that price you must keep the configuration for a car that may never be built. Is this a legit business? And, if the demand is so great why are some orders being filled so quickly? Shouldn't there be several hundred thousand performance and AWD orders? I would just like to be treated fairly.