Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news, wondering what a few months means, probably Q4? maybe end Q3?

My only concern now is will they make this a partial premium interior or will we be losing features?

This is awesome news indeed. I think the LR RWD version will have the premium interior and will probably be $46K. When the demand softens they will probably introduce a lower priced partial premium version.

I ordered in April of 2019. AWD was $4k more than RWD. This picture is when they made white default in August 2019.
View attachment 563848

I'm in the same situation.
It’s gonna be a road trip warrior. Can’t wait.
great news day all around for RWD Rez holders, whether you want to upgrade to AWD or stay and wait for RWD. Sounds like we may even get some price reduction to around $45K for the RWD (based on Elon’s tweets)

I'm in the same situation.

great news day all around for RWD Rez holders, whether you want to upgrade to AWD or stay and wait for RWD. Sounds like we may even get some price reduction to around $45K for the RWD (based on Elon’s tweets)
MY LR RWD 7 rez here.. called customer support to get the price adjusted. They said they don’t have Option to edit the design even on their end and there are no price reduction for LR RWD (FSD increased $2k since I’ve ordered though). They ask me to not to change the configuration..

Hopefully there’ll be price cut on LR RWD as well. please let me know if anyone come across price change option.

Reactions: Mooroo
I read somewhere that the Tow Hitch is only available with AWD, not RWD? I want to stick with my RWD reservation, but would like to add the tow hitch. Could anyone confirm?
No one can confirm.

Considering the LR RWD does not exist yet and the AWD is all one can order, the answer is YES, only AWD can get the hitch. You can always add it aftermarket if you ever get your RWD.

You want confirmation? Wait.

Reactions: benh57
38 pages of posts, tl;dr

Considering the Model Y to replace a CUV I am leasing. I live a few miles west of the NYC area, so it’s very suburban and pretty flat. I would like the Premium Interior.

Should I consider the LR RWD if/when it launches to save the $4000ish on the price compared to AWD or do I really need that since we do get snow and winter here? I’m guessing I would have more range (slightly, maybe 25 miles?) in the RWD option as well.

I generally only run all seasons but would consider changing to an all climate tire at replacement of the OEM ones. I don’t have the space to store the extra 4 tires and/or rims and don’t want the inconvenience of changing tires twice a year. I have been driving Subarus for the last 10-15 years exclusively which are AWD with all-seasons and have never had an issue with getting where I needed to go.

It may not be possible to order the RWD if you didn’t order one in back in 2019.

You can always swap your tires out for all seasons and sacrifice some summer traction and range. You can do this when they are brand new and maybe sell them.

Teslas come with performance tires that may not be suitable for New York winters.

38 pages of posts, tl;dr

Considering the Model Y to replace a CUV I am leasing. I live a few miles west of the NYC area, so it’s very suburban and pretty flat. I would like the Premium Interior.

Should I consider the LR RWD if/when it launches to save the $4000ish on the price compared to AWD or do I really need that since we do get snow and winter here? I’m guessing I would have more range (slightly, maybe 25 miles?) in the RWD option as well.

I generally only run all seasons but would consider changing to an all climate tire at replacement of the OEM ones. I don’t have the space to store the extra 4 tires and/or rims and don’t want the inconvenience of changing tires twice a year. I have been driving Subarus for the last 10-15 years exclusively which are AWD with all-seasons and have never had an issue with getting where I needed to go.

There is a thread on Reddit about this and several people mentioned that RWD + Winter Tires > AWD + All Season Tires..

Reactions: Pilot1226
Thanks I will go check it out. Was hoping to hear if the RWD in all seasons is “unsafe” in winter or not rather than AWD vs RWD in winters. Basically will RWD work in winter for occasional plowed snow on paved roads and highways.

It’s mostly driver. However, you can’t fix other stupid drivers. Winter tires allow you to avoid and mitigate situations caused by others that you won’t be able to do with non-winter tires.