Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Customer communication does not seem to be a priority for Tesla. I don’t see why the company can’t provide a timeframe other than an off the cuff tweet from the CEO. Is there a downside I’m missing?
They will release when AWD orders are less than the total capacity of the Y assembly lines. They do not want to have people Delay their AWD order and wait for RWD by giving an exact date.

When you placed your order didn't it have an estimated date to start deliveries of Fall of 2020? Maybe things for the RWD version are still on schedule and it was only the AWD variant that got pulled forward.
Technically, Fall 2020 goes from September 22nd to December 21st. And it seems like Tesla generally retools towards the beginning of the quarter to be full speed delivery rush towards the end of the quarter. So if Tesla intends to keep their original Fall 2020 estimate, RWD tooling changes would probably happen in October?

I think battery day will provide a plan for MY LR/RWD orders. Musk has said the RWD car will be built so what better time to announce details like the reopening of orders for the RWD version along with details on range and cost. (and maybe even an updated battery). If I remember reading, there are a couple other EV producer with RWD versions of their car so Musk could get in their face with a better produce at a competitive cost.

Reactions: Kofther
I think battery day will provide a plan for MY LR/RWD orders. Musk has said the RWD car will be built so what better time to announce details like the reopening of orders for the RWD version along with details on range and cost. (and maybe even an updated battery). If I remember reading, there are a couple other EV producer with RWD versions of their car so Musk could get in their face with a better produce at a competitive cost.

Nothing about it was said about it. :(

Let me preface this by saying my post may seem slightly irrational (call me out on it if you want) and I may just be typing for my own cathartic reasons to get these thoughts out there in the universe (my apologies). I also apologize if this is a bad place to jump into a specific thread on the MY RWD for my rambling. Here it goes anyway... We're going to need to buy a vehicle in the next 6 months-1 year. We've wanted a Model Y since launch, but as Elon has noted, it's currently just not affordable for many/most folks (including my fam). However, if the touted MY RWD is actually released and can cost $45k or less, then we can pooooossibly make a huge stretch with financing to order it. Is this a wise financial decision? NO! But we might do it anyway. After a test drive and many Youtube videos later, this seems like a dream car for us, especially if a RWD will offer even more range. Ideally, we would've gone with a cheaper standard range model Y, but it seems that is definitely not going to be released. Sure, there would've been compromise in range but it's all about looking at what we can (barely) afford and a RWD might be right there on the edge. We've looked at the model 3 standard range plus as an alternative, but for our family size (my wife and I have 3 young kids) the sedan-style trunk space and some other things will not quite work for our regular needs. So for us, <$45k is the magic number for a MY RWD.

I know they just mentioned at battery day that in a few years (Elon time?) a $25k vehicle will be available, but we can't wait for a couple reasons. One, we're a one vehicle family and our current van is on its last legs (we've owned it for the past 12 years as a single-vehicle family). Two, based on our finances, I'm pretty sure that whatever vehicle we'll need to buy in the next 6 months-1 year will probably be our vehicle for the next 10-12 years or so.

Here's where it gets weird. I strongly believe that our alternative (based on affordability, trunk space, etc.) will be a Honda CR-V. I know, completely different animal. Maybe even purchase a certified used one with not many miles on it. This is obviously extremely different than a Model Y, but for our family needs either will do. As I mentioned though, if we do buy a Honda then we probably won't be buying another vehicle (such as a Tesla) in the next decade. Hopefully when we'll need a new car again 10 years from now (circa 2030) we'll be in an even better financial situation, Tesla will be booming as a company, and there will even be a lot of used (2025?) Model Ys in the market.

Obviously we'll wait the next few months to see what happens with MY RWD. But I've got a couple backup plan questions (sorry for hijacking the forum with this side-thread). A model S (with the lift-gate) would work for us too, but those things are so much more expensive. If you were me, does it make sense to start looking at Model S used cars (around $37k-$42k) on Tesla's webpage or would you not settle for a Tesla that wasn't your dream vehicle? I guess I'm asking: is any Tesla better than no Tesla? Fingers crossed for the MY RWD (as cheap as it can possibly be).

^ no
CRV, RAV4, etc, are all good, reliable cars.
Thank you. Up until my post, this has been one of those conversations I've been having in my head alone. And I'm pretty sure the devil on my shoulder is trying to get me to commit to an unwise financial decision I'd regret later. It's nice to hear some more reason out in the universe, even from a Tesla forum where I half-expected everyone might tell me that "any Tesla is better than no Tesla." Nice to hear that CRV and RAV4 are reliable alternatives to perhaps an unwise (forced) financial decision. Thank you

Let me preface this by saying my post may seem slightly irrational (call me out on it if you want) and I may just be typing for my own cathartic reasons to get these thoughts out there in the universe (my apologies). I also apologize if this is a bad place to jump into a specific thread on the MY RWD for my rambling. Here it goes anyway... We're going to need to buy a vehicle in the next 6 months-1 year. We've wanted a Model Y since launch, but as Elon has noted, it's currently just not affordable for many/most folks (including my fam). However, if the touted MY RWD is actually released and can cost $45k or less, then we can pooooossibly make a huge stretch with financing to order it. Is this a wise financial decision? NO! But we might do it anyway. After a test drive and many Youtube videos later, this seems like a dream car for us, especially if a RWD will offer even more range. Ideally, we would've gone with a cheaper standard range model Y, but it seems that is definitely not going to be released. Sure, there would've been compromise in range but it's all about looking at what we can (barely) afford and a RWD might be right there on the edge. We've looked at the model 3 standard range plus as an alternative, but for our family size (my wife and I have 3 young kids) the sedan-style trunk space and some other things will not quite work for our regular needs. So for us, <$45k is the magic number for a MY RWD.

I know they just mentioned at battery day that in a few years (Elon time?) a $25k vehicle will be available, but we can't wait for a couple reasons. One, we're a one vehicle family and our current van is on its last legs (we've owned it for the past 12 years as a single-vehicle family). Two, based on our finances, I'm pretty sure that whatever vehicle we'll need to buy in the next 6 months-1 year will probably be our vehicle for the next 10-12 years or so.

Here's where it gets weird. I strongly believe that our alternative (based on affordability, trunk space, etc.) will be a Honda CR-V. I know, completely different animal. Maybe even purchase a certified used one with not many miles on it. This is obviously extremely different than a Model Y, but for our family needs either will do. As I mentioned though, if we do buy a Honda then we probably won't be buying another vehicle (such as a Tesla) in the next decade. Hopefully when we'll need a new car again 10 years from now (circa 2030) we'll be in an even better financial situation, Tesla will be booming as a company, and there will even be a lot of used (2025?) Model Ys in the market.

Obviously we'll wait the next few months to see what happens with MY RWD. But I've got a couple backup plan questions (sorry for hijacking the forum with this side-thread). A model S (with the lift-gate) would work for us too, but those things are so much more expensive. If you were me, does it make sense to start looking at Model S used cars (around $37k-$42k) on Tesla's webpage or would you not settle for a Tesla that wasn't your dream vehicle? I guess I'm asking: is any Tesla better than no Tesla? Fingers crossed for the MY RWD (as cheap as it can possibly be).

Im exactly like you, in your position!

Need smaller SUV and waiting for MY RWD.
Honda CR-V is an option but Toyota RAV Hybrid or Prime is first on our list.
Our problem is we don`t need MY AWD, 316 miles are not enough for our trips with children.
If it comes with at least 350 mi range we would buy it asap.
Another option is to buy RAV Hybrid and cheaper version of (RWD) of MY for city driving.

I'm audiophile and want good stereo system in city driving, tried M3 SR+ and was disappointed is sound quality.;
Im hoping they will include premium sound in RWD version , if not it will be major let down for me

Reactions: Jefferson5436

Model S is beautiful car, but MY is just better value, and if you need back space for children then MY is your choice

As I mentioned though, if we do buy a Honda then we probably won't be buying another vehicle (such as a Tesla) in the next decade. Hopefully when we'll need a new car again 10 years from now (circa 2030) we'll be in an even better financial situation, Tesla will be booming as a company, and there will even be a lot of used (2025?) Model Ys in the market.
I have always kept my cars for around 10 years or more, but I've recently discovered the value of leasing if I need a car for a transitional period.

If you want a new car while keeping your options open to defer your decision on the MY, you can likely find an aggressive 3-year lease deal on a higher trim level CRV and let the dealer take the risk on the residual. At the end of the lease, you can either buy it out if it's a favorable amount (credit unions can offer used car loan rates as low as new car loans), or turn it in if it's not (and there's not an appreciable amount of damage to pay for).

It's worth doing the math to see if it makes financial sense. Don't play the payment comparison game with the dealer, just total up the cost for the entire lease period (including down payment, taxes, fees, etc.) and see who is cheaper.

Thank you. Up until my post, this has been one of those conversations I've been having in my head alone. And I'm pretty sure the devil on my shoulder is trying to get me to commit to an unwise financial decision I'd regret later. It's nice to hear some more reason out in the universe, even from a Tesla forum where I half-expected everyone might tell me that "any Tesla is better than no Tesla." Nice to hear that CRV and RAV4 are reliable alternatives to perhaps an unwise (forced) financial decision. Thank you

I have a Model 3 and Honda CRV which we will replace with the Model Y RWD.

Please do not overextend your self for a Tesla.

I think they will slowly get cheaper. We drive a lot and I think electric is the biggest benefit, so maybe look at other cars like the Kona.
We love the Tesla, before we got it we really liked the CRV which is an excellent car, but we do love the Tesla.

• Love
Im exactly like you, in your position!

Need smaller SUV and waiting for MY RWD.
Honda CR-V is an option but Toyota RAV Hybrid or Prime is first on our list.
Our problem is we don`t need MY AWD

Super glad to hear we're not alone. For us, it mostly matters in terms of storage space. All the features of the AWD aren't as important to us (in terms of priorities) as they may be for some. For example, we don't need it to have an insanely fast 0-60, we don't need AWD (not in TX), top speed doesn't matter, etc. I've appreciated the advice about looking at smaller SUVs and potentially even temporarily leasing. We've never leased before so I may look into that some more. But I just appreciate the advice all around. I think it has definitely talked me out of some likely buyer's remorse if we were to just go with a different Tesla (such as a M3 SR+ or used Model S) that wasn't the one we'd actually want/need for our family's purposes.

I hope the sound is good for you in the MY RWD! It'll be interesting to see where they may make some compromises now that they're not going to offer the standard range. That was a huge bummer to us (we would've been all over the MY standard range or SR+ if there ever was such a thing imagined).