Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope so. I'm thinking of holding off on changing my order to AWD until we see if they're going to try and convince RWD people to upgrade with some sort of offer.
I'm on LR RWD 7 Seater pre-order. Makes things more complex. I hope they update something. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on AWD. As the pre-order was in May 19. If I pull the trigger then I'll end up paying $1990 ($1000 - FSD, $990 recent price rise) + AWD price difference.

I spoke to two different people at Tesla yesterday about my LR RWD order. Both told me that then RWD isn't going to be made. Like I got the sense that it won't EVER come out. Or at least Tesla isn't planning to make it any time soon (note that the SR version is still mentioned as going into production in 2021).

One of the two people told me I'd be upgraded to AWD at the same price. The other told me they hadn't received any instructions about what was happening. I assume that the first person spoke in error- though it was via chat and I took a screen shot.

I spoke to two different people at Tesla yesterday about my LR RWD order. Both told me that then RWD isn't going to be made. Like I got the sense that it won't EVER come out. Or at least Tesla isn't planning to make it any time soon (note that the SR version is still mentioned as going into production in 2021).

One of the two people told me I'd be upgraded to AWD at the same price. The other told me they hadn't received any instructions about what was happening. I assume that the first person spoke in error- though it was via chat and I took a screen shot.
So, we are sitting on an Easter egg??

Spoke to two people via chat who both said LR RWD would be made but they didn't say when or a timeframe. Im hoping Tesla offers us something to change to AWD as I don't think I can wait until 2021 or beyond but I have a great price locked in so I May suck it up

Spoke to two people via chat who both said LR RWD would be made but they didn't say when or a timeframe. Im hoping Tesla offers us something to change to AWD as I don't think I can wait until 2021 or beyond but I have a great price locked in so I May suck it up

My guess is that NO ONE at Tesla (or at least the low level people who talk to customers) knows what they're going to do. I was told by both people that LR AWD orderers would be followed up with "soon," but neither knew how long that would be.

Tesla would make a bad business decision by not producing the RWD at all AND just giving order holders two options - either upgrade to AWD (paying $4K+) more or just give up on their orders.
The reasons for that are impact to the brand image caused by thousands of unhappy customers, missing tax incentives in some markets and potential legal actions - including collecting/using customer’s money for a product that does/will not be produced. This is not marketed as a crowdfunding activity.

My guess is that RWD will come to the market late this year. I’m guessing late Q3. However, instead of manufacturing here in US, Tesla will use its lower cost line in China for this.
Since it is a new line, logistics for imports still needs to be tested and the current situation in China is complicated at the moment, things will not happen quickly.
This is me guessing things here.

• Disagree
Reactions: reardencode
Tesla doesn't want to commit to a production schedule for RWD because, at this point, there is just too much unknown from a factory-scheduling standpoint. Once they get a couple quarters of volume production under their belt, work through the issues with that, and get a pulse on how Model Y is affecting Model 3 sales, then they can provide a better estimate for production. Scheduling a factory like Fremont is extremely complex and there is just not enough information at this point to provide a firm timeline.

I don't blame Tesla for getting rid of RWD since they don't make it for M3 anymore. However, unless they deliver RWDs to folks who ordered them eventually or maybe deliver a comparable/better product (e.g. SR+ with ~300 miles), with hindsight this would be poor form given $2.5k deposit. Probably should have done what they did with Cybertruck and take $100 fees on 3 broad trim levels and not have folks go through a whole configurator, which gave folks a false sense of certainty. In the end, I have a hunch that the battery/power train improvements will allow by 2021 the SR+ to get close to 300 miles and RWD reservation holders could get something that fits their needs/budget/etc.

Reactions: israndy
Just called my local sales location and happened to get ahold of the sales rep who sold me my Model X 2 years ago, and she said they haven't received any word yet internally on the LR RWD config but she will keep me posted as soon as she hears something. She advised me not to make any changes as well to keep in your locked in price from the reservation.

• Informative
Reactions: mgraff and decrypt
Just called my local sales location and happened to get ahold of the sales rep who sold me my Model X 2 years ago, and she said they haven't received any word yet internally on the LR RWD config but she will keep me posted as soon as she hears something. She advised me not to make any changes as well to keep in your locked in price from the reservation.
I'm glad to see the advice to hold tight for now. If Tesla comes back and allows RWD orders to upgrade to AWD for a discounted price I'll definitely do that. One thing to consider for people who live in moderate snow climates is whether you need snow tires with AWD?
You definitely do IMO need snow tires for RWD and I have them on my Model 3 but for AWD snow tires I think they are optional. If I don't have to buy snow tires for the Model Y the savings matters over several years of ownership. If you live in a real snow climate snow tires are probably required no matter what.