Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE
You definitely do IMO need snow tires for RWD and I have them on my Model 3 but for AWD snow tires I think they are optional. [/QUOTE]

I lived in Montana for 15 yrs. and nevre had snow tires for my AWD Subaru. Then I got a Prius V, no AWD, no snow tires and never had a problem for the 3yrs I was there.

I'm glad to see the advice to hold tight for now. If Tesla comes back and allows RWD orders to upgrade to AWD for a discounted price I'll definitely do that. One thing to consider for people who live in moderate snow climates is whether you need snow tires with AWD?
You definitely do IMO need snow tires for RWD and I have them on my Model 3 but for AWD snow tires I think they are optional. If I don't have to buy snow tires for the Model Y the savings matters over several years of ownership. If you live in a real snow climate snow tires are probably required no matter what.
AWD is no replacement for snow tires. Four wheels driving aren’t effective if they can’t grip the road. Additionally, the tire compound in all seasons becomes harder under 7-8 C (46 F) and loses performance.

That’s what I’m hoping for. My math figured 330ish based on the 280 to 315 change for the AWD.

I LOL at the posts in this thread. So much drama over something that hasn’t happened.

It’s like being mad at the sun at night.
I think the most realistic option, the car comes out a few months before the cheapest standard range. So, let's say around Q4 2020?

I think the most realistic option, the car comes out a few months before the cheapest standard range. So, let's say around Q4 2020?

The FAQ says, "Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive is not scheduled for production at this time."

Model Y Ordering FAQ

Yet SR is specifically mentioned on the main ordering page as coming in 2021.

So if SR **is** scheduled for production and LR RWD is not, that means one of two things: either LR RWD will never be produced (my hunch) or it will be produced AFTER the standard range enters production. So for everyone hoping for a later-2020 delivery of their LR RWD order, it ain't going to happen.

The FAQ says, "Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive is not scheduled for production at this time."

Model Y Ordering FAQ

Yet SR is specifically mentioned on the main ordering page as coming in 2021.

So if SR **is** scheduled for production and LR RWD is not, that means one of two things: either LR RWD will never be produced (my hunch) or it will be produced AFTER the standard range enters production. So for everyone hoping for a later-2020 delivery of their LR RWD order, it ain't going to happen.
I don’t think Tesla will cheat on LR RWD for SR. My take is Tesla is pushing people indirectly to jump the ship from RWD to AWD. Once they have final numbers on RWD, they will decide if making LR RWD worth the money (with separate lines in manufacturing for limited edition). Then either will upgrade remaining RWD holders to AWD or force them for SR+..

Looking at the informal Tesla y preorder tracker that is linked in this forum, about 27% of preorders are the RWD Y. I know the sample size (over 150 responses) isn’t large enough to draw a firm conclusion, but if 27% is somewhat accurate, that’s a large percentage for Tesla to have taken off the table or risk for sales losses (if they cancel RWD production entirely and people either cancel order or don’t upgrade).

It’s painful to witness Tesla continuing to self inflict damage to themselves with sloppy communication and product planning missteps. With a company having the market cap that Tesla has, there is no excuse for it. I come from a fortune 50 corporate marketing background, it’s not an easy task but there should be some executive in the room chiming in when these decisions are being made pointing out the consequences.

To reach or maintain the level of a world class company, Tesla should have had a clear communication plan to existing RWD order holders, in conjunction to communicating to the world (and their customers) the removal of the model. This is a large purchase item for most anyone, the lack of any communication is even worse given we’re talking about a $50k-$56k purchase experience. Hopefully they’ll make it up, is all I’m hoping for. Maybe Monday there will be an email in our inboxes explaining what is going on with RWD and what our options are. That’s the least they can do.

And yes, I know there will be a bunch of fans that say the product will make up for it and quit whining. For those that think that, I can’t think of many companies that make it long term, only relying on overcoming poor customer experiences with a great product. Eventually it catches up... I want Tesla to do better because they need to do better.

Last edited:
Looking at the informal Tesla y preorder tracker that is linked in this forum, about 27% of preorders are the RWD Y. I know the sample size (over 150 responses) isn’t large enough to draw a firm conclusion, but if 27% is somewhat accurate, that’s a large percentage for Tesla to have taken off the table or risk for sales losses (if they cancel RWD production entirely and people either cancel order or don’t upgrade).

It’s painful to witness Tesla continuing to self inflict damage to themselves with sloppy communication and product planning missteps. With a company having the market cap that Tesla has, there is no excuse for it. I come from a fortune 50 corporate marketing background, it’s not an easy task but there should be some executive in the room chiming in when these decisions are being made pointing out the consequences.

To reach or maintain the level of a world class company, Tesla should have had a clear communication plan to existing RWD order holders, in conjunction to communicating to the world (and their customers) the removal of the model. This is a large purchase item for most anyone, the lack of any communication is even worse given we’re talking about a $50k-$56k purchase experience. Hopefully they’ll make it up, is all I’m hoping for. Maybe Monday there will be an email in our inboxes explaining what is going on with RWD and what our options are. That’s the least they can do.

And yes, I know there will be a bunch of fans that say the product will make up for it and quit whining. For those that think that, I can’t think of many companies that make it long term, only relying on overcoming poor customer experiences with a great product. Eventually it catches up... I want Tesla to do better because they need to do better.
I am coming from similar background and 100% agree with what you say - company must have clear and immediate communication in such cases. They knew that they removing rwd option and we're supposed to update order owners. Instead they choose to ignore them for now.

Reactions: jgd108
I am coming from similar background and 100% agree with what you say - company must have clear and immediate communication in such cases. They knew that they removing rwd option and we're supposed to update order owners. Instead they choose to ignore them for now.

I've been doing nothing but reading Reddit, this forum, and Twitter since Wednesday, and I'll tell you something consistent about Tesla's messaging here- it's horribly inconsistent. It seems like every person who contacts Tesla hears a different answer. Personally, I was told by two different people that we'd receive a follow up "soon," though neither could elaborate as to HOW soon. One of them told me I'd be upgraded to AWD at no charge. The other said that she'd received no specific information about the LR RWD at all.

Just horrible discipline for a big company. As tpa said above, some executive (or team of execs) should've locked down the messaging strategy whenever Tesla made the final decision to alter the production ramp, and that message should have been delivered company-wide so that everyone spoke consistently.

As much as I would dream to get a free $4k AWD upgrade, I highly doubt this would ever happen (maybe a discount, not free).
Otherwise, can you imagine those who paid for AWD how they would be **

Agree and that is why I do not believe they will upgrade us for free. I do want to get at least a $990 discount as it is their fault we need to pay now more. This will be a fair solution.

Anyway, the problem is how Tesla communicates. And while they produce a great product, they do suffer from the fast-growing "startup" disease. And you can clearly see this with their support (aka service) not catching up.

Tesla will face real competition in EV space in about 2-3 years. And by then they will be better to fix this problem.

I went by a Tesla showroom today and talked to one of the sellers. They still have no clue what is going to happen and have no instructions on the matter.
There is no way on earth that the company is going to give a free (4k) upgrade to AWD.
I can see it in the form of upgrades like color and wheels and you pay the rest.

One thing Tesla has not learned is how to properly stay on message. All of these sudden shifts, jumps, deletions, and changes without notice seem like they are still making decisions on the future on the fly and arbitrarily.

Employees should all be told to say “I don’t know” if the message is not consistent or defined.

And worst of all, customer orders should never change without informing the customer, even if they are for the better.

Reactions: blissdancer