Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s both comical and very insulting at this point that Tesla can’t even do their customers the courtesy of clarifying the situation (a situation they caused in fact). It’s not an unfair request by customers who have placed $2500.00 preorder deposits to expect this.

I’m holding my reservation still, but honestly the more time that goes on being left in the dark, the less enthusiastic I am about owning a Tesla. It’s like entering a relationship on a bad footing.

• Informative
Reactions: mgraff and CyberShy
Why do people think RWD orders won't be honored?
I just see that it's not offered anymore. I feel lucky i got my order in before the option was pulled from the website.
I'm guessing they will do same thing to us they did with the 3's-
Honor the high dollar orders first, build the RWD cars later.
Because people have their Jump to Conclusions game out and that was the square they landed on. /Office Space

Just spoke to a Tesla sales rep at Dublin, CA sales center. He informed me that Tesla will be making an announcement concerning LR RWD by early March. (snip) .
OK. This gives us a timeline, but doesn't give us any indication of the decision.

Perhaps because some of us have received chat messages that state RWD won't be made. Of course, since that isn't official who knows but it does raise concerns.
OK. Unofficial.

Even if Elon tweeted that the RWD will not be made, I wouldn't believe it for a second because Musk doesn't even stick to his word (the latest being that Tesla didn't see a need to raise capital and then they sold more stock a few weeks later). In other words, I don't believe a word Musk says. He's an unreliable source. How's that FSD package working for everyone?

History has shown us that Tesla is haphazard in its message, its offerings, and, most of all, its communication. They are inconsistent and utterly unpredictable in their plans.

You can believe what you want, but that doesn't make it truth. Predicting Tesla's plans is impossible and those of us without inside information are just guessing. Asking random Tesla employees in chats just shows us that Tesla hasn't officially told them what to say. They want to please the customer and can't say "I don't know" because it makes them sound stupid.

I believe Tesla is simply pushing people to AWD to maximize the revenue during the most expensive part of the launch and has hence removed the RWD option temporarily. Not producing less affordable models in against Tesla's master plan. Whatever happened to that?

Until I am directly contacted, I am not going to make any decisions because there is none to make at this time.

I just see that it's not offered anymore. I feel lucky i got my order in before the option was pulled from the website.

I'm very disappointed that Teala did not communicate with LR RWD order holder at the time they decided not to schedule production of the vehicle. At the same time Tesla knows that a $2,500.00 order holder is more committed than a $100.00 reservation holder. Tesla will find a way to salvage a potential $57,000.00 sale.

I will give them until March 1st then cancel the reservation. I was going to trade in our MS for it, but as the 2nd car (besides M3), I will just go with the reserved Mini Cooper SE, which is arriving in March, for half of the price.

Tired of being told to "take it or leave it" (not so much in the words but by being treated as such), I will leave it.

Model Y LR RWD preorder holder since last March. I’m painfully anticipating my delivery just the same as everyone else but I don’t think it’s fair to be angry at Tesla quite yet. When we put our $2,500 down, we were told late 2020..... they haven’t broken any promises yet.
That may be true for you, but for some people like me, I ordered when they said production was moved up to summer 2020.
They decided to remove the RWD option on January 25 four days before the announcement on January 29.
It has been over 3 weeks so you would think they would have a communication strategy in place by now

Model Y LR RWD preorder holder since last March. I’m painfully anticipating my delivery just the same as everyone else but I don’t think it’s fair to be angry at Tesla quite yet. When we put our $2,500 down, we were told late 2020..... they haven’t broken any promises yet.

You are basically correct but it's information like this "that will no longer be produced" from a chat session that sends mixed messages. Like others I'm just waiting, which is precisely what the customer support team told me right after the chat message.

LR RWD Chat Screen Shot.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Dadiggaman

I'm with you. Besides, late 2020 is when they said they'd start producing as we know the more expensive variants first. Also considering a ramp up and a huge backlog I didn't expect to get a car until late 2021 or even 2022.

I suspect Tesla may never make the LR RWD. Here is how I think they will handle our orders. Tesla will contact you and give you 3 options:
Option 1: Upgrade to AWD. Keep your place in que and pay the difference of what it would have cost if you ordered AWD back when you ordered RWD, $4,000.00.
Option 2: Downgrade your order to standard range. Your vehicle price is now lower than the original $48K, but you get pushed down on the delivery que. As a plus you have to expect that they will increase the range of the standard range vehicles.
Option 3: Refund your order deposit.

There are other details that aren't a big deal but just annoying: ordered the RWD model Y for my wife and chose to upgrade the wheels just because she doesn't like the dark color of the original aero wheels available at the time. But now we got upgraded to the black induction wheels and cant change that without upgrading to AWD...

Tesla said they won't make RWD in foreseeable future in their Model Y FAQ.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
Which FAQ are you referring to?
Model Y Ordering FAQ
When will Model Y production begin?
We recommend checking the Model Y design studio for your region’s most up-to-date production estimates. Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive is not scheduled for production at this time.

Probably means it is not in the production schedule for now but may return to be in production at a later date, I am guessing late 2020 after all the AWD and Performance ones are produced.

So we reserve Model Y the 2nd day it was available. We choose LR RWD, and I talk with a Manager at one of the local store and he told he would be looking into my reservation and could possible do some price match for me to switch to AWD. However I'm not sure how my original quote price breakdown is? Anyone can tell me how much each of these option cost originally?

Model Y .JPG

So we reserve Model Y the 2nd day it was available. We choose LR RWD, and I talk with a Manager at one of the local store and he told he would be looking into my reservation and could possible do some price match for me to switch to AWD. However I'm not sure how my original quote price breakdown is? Anyone can tell me how much each of these option cost originally?

View attachment 512798

I saved a screen video of my purchase on March 19 2019

LR RWD - $47,000
White paint - $2,000
Autopilot - $3,000
FSD - $5,000

total $57k

AWD was $4k more

I think your wheels were $1500 which sounds right since black paint was free back then.

This was a day before Elon tweeted that they would be raising prices be $1k

I saved a screen video of my purchase on March 19 2019

LR RWD - $47,000
White paint - $2,000
Autopilot - $3,000
FSD - $5,000

total $57k

AWD was $4k more

I think your wheels were $1500 which sounds right since black paint was free back then.

This was a day before Elon tweeted that they would be raising prices be $1k
Ahh ok I guess that make sense, I guess my option for the Seven Seat Interior cost another $3,000.