Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AND... if you go to change your order, you cannot edit a LR RWD order, but only select options for an AWD model. If you select no car, the “gas savings” cost shows -$4300.

Are you going to fall for that? Tesla doesn’t return calls!

This is obviously a huge snafu of a rollout. It should be pretty obvious that they aren’t going to send cars Willy-Nilly all over the country with no organization. Regional deliveries are the most logical, but logic appears to be thrown out the window.

I got no email, just noticed the “prepare for delivery” in my account. This should be entertaining.

I’m not preparing anything, except some popcorn.

Everyone will have "prepare for delivery"

It's just the first step, you will be contacted when your car is ready to be built...

Take a deep breath....relax

Has anybody actually pulled the trigger and upgraded from RWD to
I have my MY LR RWD under “Prepare for Delivery”.
I reached out to Tesla through their chat and they said a representative would be calling me back, which they did this morning. A lady from Tesla (Nevada phone) called me and did not seem really prepared to answer questions.
She said I should have received an email from them with further instructions, which I did not receive and she could not resend it. I inquired about the RWD production and she said they would not be producing such version. After complaining and asking about what options they would give us, she said that they would upgrade us to AWD. Since I wanted to have that clear, I’ve asked her again before we finished the call and she confirmed the same thing.

I’m not sure if this is just the lack of information on their side or a joke, or maybe both.

As others have said just wait for Tesla to clarify how the RWD will be handled. I also was told via chat, which I have a copy of, that the RWD version would not be built.
However others have been told differently so it's clear Tesla Sales & Support staff don't know either. Anybody that has any history with Tesla will know communications skills is not one of Tesla's strengths:).

Last edited:
As others have said just wait for Tesla to clarify how the RWD will be handled. I also was told via chat, which I have a copy of, that the RWD version would not be built.
However others have been told differently so it's clear Tesla Sales & Support staff don't know either. Anybody that has any history with Tesla will know communications skills is not one of Tesla's strengths:).

Agree with this 100%. I called Tesla's main sales number on February 1st and the lady didn't know one way or another what would happen. So then I chatted with Tesla, and was told RWD wasn't being made and I'd be upgraded to AWD at no cost. I screen capped that just in case. Finally, I have a sales advisor in Atlanta with whom I have kept in touch after getting a Model 3 test drive last year. He was pretty explicit- sales advisors in the field haven't had any official communications about what will happen with the RWD (though it was his personal speculation that it would be produced in 2021), nor have they been told what will happen with reservation holders.

Agree with this 100%. I called Tesla's main sales number on February 1st and the lady didn't know one way or another what would happen. So then I chatted with Tesla, and was told RWD wasn't being made and I'd be upgraded to AWD at no cost. I screen capped that just in case. Finally, I have a sales advisor in Atlanta with whom I have kept in touch after getting a Model 3 test drive last year. He was pretty explicit- sales advisors in the field haven't had any official communications about what will happen with the RWD (though it was his personal speculation that it would be produced in 2021), nor have they been told what will happen with reservation holders.

Sounds like you got "sold".

Don't feed into the hype and noise and be patient.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: rathjebaxter
Really wish they were more transparent with what is going on with the RWD models.. Now going back (ordered Apr. 2019), I probably should have stuck with my initial decision of not paying the $2,500 reservation fee for the RWD and buying TSLA stock at $250 and selling it at $900 (of course it could have gone down as well, who knew) and then using the profits to buy a Performance version of the car after they announced that they would be delivering soon (of course they are 6 months ahead of schedule)...

Hopefully there is some news about the RWD soon, I don't mind waiting 3-9 months for delivery, I just need a time frame of when I can expect it or if it is even happening.. If they are indeed not making the RWD version I hope at least they allow an upgrade sooner rather than later at the old pricing (I believe +$4000) as I am not paying $5500 ($1500 extra from the time when I ordered) to upgrade when I could have initially ordered it at a lower price and could have gotten it sooner than way later.

I ordered the LR RWD due to not needing AWD in where I live in addition to wanting the car with the highest possible range. If I had known that LR RWD is potentially not going to be made (sounds like they haven't scheduled it in their production schedule but might schedule it and make it further down the road), I would have just paid for the AWD seeing now that that the range exceeds the estimates of the RWD.

For me, if they force me to upgrade to AWD at new pricing, I would most likely cancel my order and not purchase the car at all. Similarly if they decided to replace my order with a "SR+" version instead of a LR RWD version in 2021 I would most likely cancel as well because I am looking for the car with the most range.

I really wish Tesla would have been clear when they announced deliveries or at least notified RWD holders of their options as they did offer that variant of the car to be able to be ordered for almost a year and so there may be a decent amount of orders..

(I believe +$4000) as I am not paying $5500 ($1500 extra from the time when I ordered)

It’s $1,990 more than when we ordered after launch. I went into a Tesla store and talked to a manager yesterday and she totally understood our situation. She said our option is to keep waiting for some word from Tesla or upgrade now to AWD and pay the $5,990 difference because as of now they wouldn’t honor the price of all trims at time of our original purchase. She said a team in Las Vegas is handling all deliveries so the Dallas team doesn’t have the same visibility into MY orders. She said she would call Vegas the next day and for me to call her back later this week for hopefully better answers.

Reactions: mhcrowder
This whole process is very frustrating. I don't even want AWD at the original listed price. If I did, I would have reserved AWD from the very beginning. I live in Phoenix, I don't need AWD and I'm not paying an extra couple grand.

If Tesla wants to fulfill my order with an AWD model at the price I reserved RWD for, great. But I'm not real keen on paying extra for something I don't need and didn't order.

I probably should have stuck with my initial decision of not paying the $2,500 reservation fee for the RWD and buying TSLA stock at $250 and selling it at $900 (of course it could have gone down as well, who knew) and then using the profits to buy a Performance version of the car...
You could take the money you WERE going to use to buy the car and buy stock, and then take out a loan for the car. That's what I did with the Model 3. I now have enough to buy two Model 3's and change and it keeps going up.

You could take the money you WERE going to use to buy the car and buy stock, and then take out a loan for the car. That's what I did with the Model 3. I now have enough to buy two Model 3's and change and it keeps going up.

While I strongly agree TSLA will be up significantly in the mid to long term future, the average person probably shouldn’t take a financial risk on an already depreciating asset.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberShy
I just upgraded mine to AWD. Ended up being $3k more since white is free ($2k savings) and FSD is $7k ($1k savings from when autopilot was $3k and FSD was separate $5k)

Can you share how you 'upgraded' your order? I also want to switch to AWD and drop FSD, but when doing so seems like creating a new order with new pricing. Are you just accepting the current pricing hoping to keep your 'place in line' or was there a phone call involved?
Or maybe I need to revisit my math on my LR RWD which with white (free), 20" wheels ($2K), white interior ($1K), and FSD ($7K) comes out to $56,500. I'd love to simply drop FSD and pay $4K for AWD, but I don't think that the site works like that and I'd be paying $2500 more to make the change.

Can you share how you 'upgraded' your order? I also want to switch to AWD and drop FSD, but when doing so seems like creating a new order with new pricing. Are you just accepting the current pricing hoping to keep your 'place in line' or was there a phone call involved?
Or maybe I need to revisit my math on my LR RWD which with white (free), 20" wheels ($2K), white interior ($1K), and FSD ($7K) comes out to $56,500. I'd love to simply drop FSD and pay $4K for AWD, but I don't think that the site works like that and I'd be paying $2500 more to make the change.

You have to accept current pricing and edit the existing order to what you would like. I edited mine to AWD, I cannot wait that long.

Made the change online. I talked to a Tesla rep and they said updating order is at new prices. You aren’t locked into the original prices at time of your original order.

My original order was $57k. RWD (47k) white paint (2k) auto pilot (3k) FSD (5k)

new order at current pricing was 59,990 so only 3k more. AWD (52,990) FSD (7k) and white is free now.

I did end up changing color to silver (1k) and upgraded to 20” wheels (2k) so actual total is $62,990. All in all it’s 6k more which is what it would have been if I ordered like that a year ago so I’m ok with it.

How are you finding the original order amount? The order confirmation e-mail I have only shows generic terms and conditions, the options, and the deposit of $2500. My Tesla Account website only shows the currently configured amount (that apparently has changed for some folks from the original deposit/order).

Made the change online. I talked to a Tesla rep and they said updating order is at new prices. You aren’t locked into the original prices at time of your original order.

new order at current pricing was 59,990 so only 3k more. AWD (52,990) FSD (7k) and white is free now.

I did end up changing color to silver (1k) and upgraded to 20” wheels (2k) so actual total is $62,990. All in all it’s 6k more which is what it would have been if I ordered like that a year ago so I’m ok with it.

Please let us know when you receive delivery notification.
Not knowing what's gonna happen and when will be the delivery is they ever produce RWD is a pain.

I'm almost give up and trying to upgrade to AWD but can't justify the cost for something i don't need.

Thanks. I just updated mine to AWD too. I spoke to a rep locally who said RWD won't be delivered this year so my options are to wait it out until 2021 (or forever?) or simply pay a little extra for AWD and be assured delivery this year. I ended up dropping FSD to offset some of the costs and overall good with the lower total. After thinking about it, I think making changes and forcing today's pricing is reasonable. There are costs associated with all these changes and they need to crank out the higher margin stuff for a while. It would be nice if they sent out a formal communication to RWD folks, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't think they know if they'll ever produce them.

Please let us know when you receive delivery notification.
Not knowing what's gonna happen and when will be the delivery is they ever produce RWD is a pain.

I'm almost give up and trying to upgrade to AWD but can't justify the cost for something i don't need.

I’ll post back in here when I do. My original order was March 19th.

Although Elon says RWD is a perfectly safe car on its own in snow with good tires, I like the idea of AWD for added performance and must be at least a measurable amount safer in terms of control.

Part of my reason for originally wanting RWD was to have more than 300 miles of range which the AWD was improved to have last month so it checks off my needs.