Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW... submitted for your approval... as we are passing through the shadowy area of reality and the economic pandemic Twilight Zone.

My order for LR RWD White/White FSD in FL is in Waiting for formal writing up of Contract Completion/Delivery mode with Trade-in, insurance, title and all tasks completed with the $ balance due, tax etc. details set in 'concrete' as of March 20 when Tesla knew they were closing the plant in 3 days on March 23, so the deal/contract is clearly binding. (and BTW, there is no 30 day limit on the mutually completed and accepted trade in valuation part of the contract, especially where the plant closure was known and foreseeable, as opposed to the open trade-in OFFER 30 day limit.)

If you were Tesla, in order to maximize the $ profit on a completed deal... would you immediately deliver an upgraded AWD available vehicle for immediate delivery after the plant re-opens in order to minimize the declining value of the trade (MX in my case) or wait for production of the RWD and eat the lower trade-in value whenever RWD is ultimately delivered, (as I see used car prices are dropping significantly these days). In other words, would Tesla decide it is cheaper to provide an upgraded AWD than eat the lowering value of the trade-in value by waiting for RWD production? Remember, there are many examples of them leaving upgrades on cars especially in the early production of a new model because it was just cheaper not to swap it out.

Again, this is a case scenario for only those whose few whose LR RWD deal/contract has already been completely finalized. Just sayin...
You’re living in the twilight zone. They’ll readjust your trade value or ask for a mileage update when they assign you a VIN...which won’t be until next year.

Reactions: benh57 and MP3Mike
So, for those of us with RWD orders who have been invited to prepare for delivery, I would suggest we view the situation through a factual objective lens instead of a subjective glass half empty/half full emotional lens.

Fact: No one on this or any other site knows the actual RWD plans, nor do most all Tesla employees. The FAQ stating RWD is currently not scheduled for production could change anytime if not already changed. It's just a FAQ.

Fact: Tesla's MO for new vehicle ramp up has changed, as the MY was publicly scheduled for first large batch of deliveries in Q3 of 2020. Based on VIN feedback, approx. 3,000 MYs were built and delivered by end of Q1. Numerous lucky buyers took delivery by 3/31 even though they ordered days or a week or two before delivery, so the order queue is not nearly as deep as the M3 considering there are only four colors and two of three configs available, yet some very recent orders were filled. Accordingly, everything has been moved forward by as much as 9-10 months, especially given there has been no MY production hell, despite some QA issues.

Fact: Those buyers who have 100% completed the prepare for delivery process have a legally binding contract pursuant to the stated terms, including the trade-in. Tesla CANNOT change those terms even if they don't get the bargain that they expected or hoped for. They CANNOT readjust the trade in value, unless there is subsequent excessive use or damage to the trade-in. Normal wear and tear including average additional mileage are baked in. This is basic Business Law 101. The 30 day rule is only for the buyer to accept the terms of Tesla's trade in OFFER. Once the ACCEPT button is pushed, the contract is set in concrete and Tesla can no longer withdraw the trade in offer, which they could have done at any time until accepted by the buyer... and which they maybe SHOULD have done, given the COVID plant closure on the horizon, but they didn't.

The intent of the OP was to make the case that those RWD buyers who have completed the prepare for delivery process should expect their cars much sooner than later and not rely on speculation that the RWD is way off in the future or not at all. If Tesla completed the prepare for deliver process knowing full well that they had no intention of delivering the car within a reasonable time, well that opens up a whole new can of worms involving bad faith and an inevitable costly class action lawsuit. It just makes no business sense otherwise that the RWD MYs and all the components (RWD) in question were ready for production just prior to the plant closing and that deliveries should be expected a month or so after Fremont startup.

Just submitted for your approval... from deep within the TWZ.
Rod

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
So, for those of us with RWD orders who have been invited to prepare for delivery, I would suggest we view the situation through a factual objective lens instead of a subjective glass half empty/half full emotional lens.

Fact: No one on this or any other site knows the actual RWD plans, nor do most all Tesla employees. The FAQ stating RWD is currently not scheduled for production could change anytime if not already changed. It's just a FAQ.

Fact: Tesla's MO for new vehicle ramp up has changed, as the MY was publicly scheduled for first large batch of deliveries in Q3 of 2020. Based on VIN feedback, approx. 3,000 MYs were built and delivered by end of Q1. Numerous lucky buyers took delivery by 3/31 even though they ordered days or a week or two before delivery, so the order queue is not nearly as deep as the M3 considering there are only four colors and two of three configs available, yet some very recent orders were filled. Accordingly, everything has been moved forward by as much as 9-10 months, especially given there has been no MY production hell, despite some QA issues.

Fact: Those buyers who have 100% completed the prepare for delivery process have a legally binding contract pursuant to the stated terms, including the trade-in. Tesla CANNOT change those terms even if they don't get the bargain that they expected or hoped for. They CANNOT readjust the trade in value, unless there is subsequent excessive use or damage to the trade-in. Normal wear and tear including average additional mileage are baked in. This is basic Business Law 101. The 30 day rule is only for the buyer to accept the terms of Tesla's trade in OFFER. Once the ACCEPT button is pushed, the contract is set in concrete and Tesla can no longer withdraw the trade in offer, which they could have done at any time until accepted by the buyer... and which they maybe SHOULD have done, given the COVID plant closure on the horizon, but they didn't.

The intent of the OP was to make the case that those RWD buyers who have completed the prepare for delivery process should expect their cars much sooner than later and not rely on speculation that the RWD is way off in the future or not at all. If Tesla completed the prepare for deliver process knowing full well that they had no intention of delivering the car within a reasonable time, well that opens up a whole new can of worms involving bad faith and an inevitable costly class action lawsuit. It just makes no business sense otherwise that the RWD MYs and all the components (RWD) in question were ready for production just prior to the plant closing and that deliveries should be expected a month or so after Fremont startup.

Rod

Doesn't the order agreement contain this: "We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order." So they have an out if they decide to not produce the RWD version.

I've never traded a vehicle in to Tesla and I don't see a trade in agreement on their site so I don't know what is included in it.

Rod

Nothing is set in concrete until you sign it at delivery. They can change it if they feel necessary. Did you read your purchase agreement?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Doesn't the order agreement contain this: "We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order." So they have an out if they decide to not produce the RWD version.

The order agreement says that, but I think what n88 is referring to is a purchase contract, which is different, I think? (Full disclosure- not a lawyer)

So I finally decided to change my order from RWD to AWD and here is my thinking. The reasoning won't work for many but for some it may.
I own a Model 3 RWD which I've driven thru two Massachusett's winters. Before the first winter I purchased 4 snow tires mounted on my 18" aeros. To avoid the hassle of changing tires I purchased separate turbine 18" wheels for the rest of the year. (And they look great with multi coat red). Although our winters especially this last one were not very snowy, IMO snow times are necessary since you never know what a NE winter will be from year to year. For years I drove AWD cars on all season tires and never had a problem. So for the Model Y I am going to do the same which will avoid the cost of snow tires and in my case a second set of wheels. Assuming I keep the car long enough that will probably be 8 snow tires in total. Helps to offset the added cost of AWD. Also, since Tesla on their own had moved me to the 20" wheels at no added cost to me I simply changed back to the Gemini wheels which helped offset the difference by $2k. Between that and tires/wheel savings it's fairly close to net zero in cost. Now for others in warmer climates I get this reasoning doesn't help but for others perhaps this does.

Oh and I also added the tow hitch.

Maybe. But probably more likely at the Annual Meeting, which has a longer Q&A session.

my only hope is it’s in the earnings report. They didn’t talk about it last time, except that it “wasn’t schedule for production”. And with the factory shutdown, I don’t even think they’re planning that far out.

Say

I posted that, but it barely got any votes. Only the top 4 or 5 questions will get asked. None seem very interesting - mostly investor questions.

my only hope is it’s in the earnings report. They didn’t talk about it last time, except that it “wasn’t schedule for production”. And with the factory shutdown, I don’t even think they’re planning that far out.

Say

I posted that, but it barely got any votes. Only the top 4 or 5 questions will get asked. None seem very interesting - mostly investor questions.

I would definitely vote on it, but I don't want to log into my brokerage account there..

My local Tesla store had a demo Model Y (only for
48 hours or so). I went to take a look at it (no test drives allowed). Overall good fit/finish from what I could see. The rear visibility is definitely a huge concern for me, but the rest was as expected.

When I asked about RWD availability, the rep said that it won’t be at until next year. The rep also inferred it won’t be offered for sale again, so don’t change the order.

With that said, I think Tesla front line is unfortunately left to speculate just like we are doing.