Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience was similar - I asked if I could at least get the FSD for the pricing I had in October and was told probably not but they would ask. Got a call back that afternoon saying yes they would honor the FSD pricing (1000 less than current). Then got the call a week later when the change order from RWD to AWD had been been processed that they had also left the AWD at the October pricing.

Reactions: aronth5 and Mooroo
The RWD to AWD upgrade is still very confusing to me. Spoke with my local Tesla dealer & they insisted that if I upgrade to AWD, pricing will be at current prices. They also stated that the reason some people say their upgrade stayed at original prices is because the system takes some time to update to the current prices. They assured me that those who upgraded to AWD would pay current price when they picked up their Y. Can anyone confirm that they did indeed upgrade from RWD to AWD and was able to pick up their Y at the original pricing & if so, when did they upgrade & when did they pick up their new Y?

Reactions: Mooroo
The RWD to AWD upgrade is still very confusing to me. Spoke with my local Tesla dealer & they insisted that if I upgrade to AWD, pricing will be at current prices. They also stated that the reason some people say their upgrade stayed at original prices is because the system takes some time to update to the current prices. They assured me that those who upgraded to AWD would pay current price when they picked up their Y. Can anyone confirm that they did indeed upgrade from RWD to AWD and was able to pick up their Y at the original pricing & if so, when did they upgrade & when did they pick up their new Y?

I have not picked up yet but I can tell you that my order documents in my account show the pricing as it would have been in October when I originally ordered the RWD. My advisor told me the same things you are being told but that he would send an email to double check and called me back to tell me they were honoring the FSD pricing from Oct and then about a week later when the change order was processed he called to tell me they also honored the Oct pricing for the vehicle - which I confirmed in my account.

Princeboomer, have you taken delivery yet of your model Y? I live between 2 tesla dealerships and both have informed me that if I change to AWD, new pricing occurs. This is so frustrating.

Have not taken delivery yet but do have the order agreement showing the previous pricing. Again the dealership told me same thing - I insisted they email the higher ups and at least ask and they did - then called me back and were surprised that they agreed but actually said that they understood this was going to be the policy for RWD Model Y orders if they chose to upgrade - they were positive it would not happen before they asked though.

Reactions: Mooroo
Have not taken delivery yet but do have the order agreement showing the previous pricing. Again the dealership told me same thing - I insisted they email the higher ups and at least ask and they did - then called me back and were surprised that they agreed but actually said that they understood this was going to be the policy for RWD Model Y orders if they chose to upgrade - they were positive it would not happen before they asked though.

Interesting, wondering if the rest of us RWD will get contact in the next 3 months or so to upgrade hopefully at previous pricing.

Don't worry, I predict on Jan 1st Mr. Musk will announce the launch of RWD for all of those who ordered it during pre-launch :) At the same exact price we booked it for.

I'm really hoping your prediction comes to fruition sometime late this quarter (August - September) , rather than next year.

But knowing my luck, Musk will instead announce at Battery Day that the SR+ model is going into production and our LR RWD preorders will be rolled into these.

My guess is that LR RWD and SR+ will start production at the same time. They will be the same car, just that LR RWD will have the bigger pack.

My issue with this is the main reason for my choice of a LR RWD Model Y versus an SR+ Model 3 was primarily the sound system. I'd be very unhappy if this is how they choose to release the LR RWD (without the premium interior).

I cancelled my MY RWD order (still loving my LR M3 RWD).

I asked on April 10th to add the tow package and was informed in writing to do it post-delivery. I've learned today that tow package will not be available on RWD. I asked about updating to AWD+tow package ($4000+$1000). Online order chat stated that I could upgrade to AWD at the original price but not add the tow package. (i.e. that only RWD->AWD change was possible, no other changes). Silly that Tesla would not take an additional $1k on top of $4k.

While I'm sure I could have added the tow hitch to the AWD post delivery, I've already been miscommunicated to and I don't see the point of keeping my order and taking the risk (of not doing it, of prices to go up, to having it worked on, to delays in SC due to demand/shutdowns, etc). While FSD pricing may go up, I think overall prices will continue to drop across the lineup as capabilities go up.

I'm not in a rush to take delivery so I'll let the early adopters move up in line and wait post-pandemic to re-order. Still excited to order a MY in the future, but the Toyota Sienna will have to remain the family road tripper in the mean-time.

I’m holding out hope that Tesla will produce the LR AWD and the proof of that is they haven’t cancelled our orders.

They want us to upgrade because moe money.

I don’t want to upgrade because I don’t need AWD and never will.

I originally ordered a MY LR RWD then upgraded and paid the March 19 price for the AWD upgrade then 20 days later recieved the car, I was told that some cars that were ordered with the $2,500 deposit had a problem when the factory converted those pre orders to orders with prices, the SKU numbers were off, So if you have a car with upgraded wheels showing the price at $1,500 you probably have or will have a problem because they system is looking for a different sku. You will pay the $1,500 but the wheel sku is different. I would suggest calling and have them check every sku on your order. If i added a hitch or made any other changes the order would change to new prices.