Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 and Honda CRV which we will replace with the Model Y RWD.

Please do not overextend your self for a Tesla.

I think they will slowly get cheaper. We drive a lot and I think electric is the biggest benefit, so maybe look at other cars like the Kona.
We love the Tesla, before we got it we really liked the CRV which is an excellent car, but we do love the Tesla.
This. All this. Thank you for keeping me from walking over a ledge! I don't know why I was expecting peer pressure from Tesla strangers do go against my better judgement. Y'all are awesome. Thanks

Driving today, I saw a Black Model Y with no dual motor badging with a MFG plate, wondering it is a RWD or an early prototype.. I wasn't able to get close to get a picture of the back with MFG plate but I'm certain it was a MFG plate without "DUAL MOTOR" badging.

Best image I could get was from my dash cam.

Attachments

• SS_092820_1417_00.jpg
    SS_092820_1417_00.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: PNWLeccy
It's been a few months now since Elon mentioned LR RWD will be available in a "few months". Figure early Oct start to pump up orders in Q4. Any idea?
May be Q1 of 2021, in general Q1 are slow.

Now how much price difference?

If it's only $3k, I don't think this would be worthwhile.

Having 400 HP instead of 200 HP is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Coming from a Prius i'm expecting even the RWD performance to be just fine. I'd rather have +50 mi range as I love roadtrips. If the range isn't that much more then i may flip back to RWD.

Once covid is over and i'm driving again, anyway...

I had booked the RWD and later converted to AWD in July when the price dropped $3000. We don't do road trips much and the max we can do locally in one day is 120miles. So if the extra range helps you to remove a charging stop from your road trip, then the RWD is definitely worth waiting for. Otherwise, if you need a car now(this was our case since we had returned our lease car) and don't mind the quick acceleration, just go with the AWD. You will be paying more for the dual motor, but you will get at least some of it back on resale/trade-in.

Remember, the quick acceleration of the AWD, you get to enjoy it every time you drive it, but you get to use the extra range(RWD) only when you do long road trips.

If you are coming from an ICE car, you will still find the RWD acceleration as very quick. But the way AWD pulls is different.

Reactions: Kofther
I had booked the RWD and later converted to AWD in July when the price dropped $3000. We don't do road trips much and the max we can do locally in one day is 120miles. So if the extra range helps you to remove a charging stop from your road trip, then the RWD is definitely worth waiting for. Otherwise, if you need a car now(this was our case since we had returned our lease car) and don't mind the quick acceleration, just go with the AWD. You will be paying more for the dual motor, but you will get at least some of it back on resale/trade-in.

Remember, the quick acceleration of the AWD, you get to enjoy it every time you drive it, but you get to use the extra range(RWD) only when you do long road trips.

If you are coming from an ICE car, you will still find the RWD acceleration as very quick. But the way AWD pulls is different.

What was the original price on your RWD order?

Looks like this may be 2021, still don't see anything on the CARB certificate website yet and Elon stated that 7 seaters would be made in Nov for December..

I'm starting to think the same. Either production isn't as high as they thought, or there is more demand for the higher trims than anticipated. It sure seems like there is still a full backlog of orders right now.

I'm starting to think the same. Either production isn't as high as they thought, or there is more demand for the higher trims than anticipated. It sure seems like there is still a full backlog of orders right now.

They probably have enough demand to fulfill the current production line for AWD trims. Tesla is aiming for record production this quarter, so it would make sense to not introduce a new configuration that may cause line downtime. Changing the powertrain spec is a far more involved change than adding a 7-seat option, which really only impacts downstream GA (general assembly).

Tesla aims for record production every quarter ;)

It would appear to me (who knows nothing) that RWD would just involve not installing the front motor and software changes. Adding a third row would need a lot of new processes for fitment and whatnot.

It's not as simple as it sounds. Different wiring harness, battery pack (RWD version does not have high-voltage cables for the front motor), and different cooling components. And I'm sure there are other changes.

Reactions: MP3Mike