Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume that a LR RWD will have less miles than an AWD?... Base on old M3 comparison of 310 rwd and 325 awd... Maybe only about 305-315 range for LR RWD Y?

I would assume the opposite. The old M3 LR RWD had a longer range than the AWD when released because it is lighter. The recent increase in AWD range is do to technical improvements which should apply to the RWD model.

I would assume the opposite. The old M3 LR RWD had a longer range than the AWD when released because it is lighter. The recent increase in AWD range is do to technical improvements which should apply to the RWD model.

I thought dual motors always came with a longer range than RWD's.... After looking in to it, I guess older LR RWD and LR AWD M3 had the same range back then at 310 with $6k price difference.

My recollection was that when they first added dual motor to the MS there was an unexpected bonus of a small increase in range. I cannot find any reference to that via a quick search, but that is how I remember it. Perhaps now with all the advancements and different motors that is no longer true.

My recollection was that when they first added dual motor to the MS there was an unexpected bonus of a small increase in range. I cannot find any reference to that via a quick search, but that is how I remember it. Perhaps now with all the advancements and different motors that is no longer true.

Yes that is correct. I had an old 2016 S75. I would have got only 10 miles more if I chose to go with a dual motor.

Tesla offering more range on RWD for $4-$6k cheaper, would swing a lot of people away from the dual motor.

Yes that is correct. I had an old 2016 S75. I would have got only 10 miles more if I chose to go with a dual motor.

Tesla offering more range on RWD for $4-$6k cheaper, would swing a lot of people away from the dual motor.

I wouldn't be surprised if it technically got better range pursuant to the EPA test cycle, but Tesla still rated it as the same range as the AWD, which they have the ability to do.

The older Model S and X used AC induction electric motors. The 3, Y and newer Raven models of the S and X use permanent magnet electric motors. The efficiency models for the two technologies are different and provide differing real-world range effects.

AC induction electric motors in the early S and X offered the ability for flux regulation which provided greater optimization of efficiency during sustained speed. The downside of AC induction motors are they were not as efficient during regen. In the real world, adding dual AC induction electric motors increased range due to optimized of flux regulation across both motors at cruising speeds and increased regen captured over both units during deceleration.

The permanent magnet electric motors in the 3, Y and newer Raven models are less expensive to build but are unable to regulate flux. They are, however, able to take advantage of pre-excitation from the magnets. Thus permanent magnet electric motors are more efficient in stop-and-go traffic where acceleration and regen are most dominant. Because the permanent magnet electric motors (3, Y and newer Raven models) are already optimized for regen, the added regen of the second motor is not that much greater than with a single unit. So, adding a dual permanent magnet motor leads no added optimization of efficiency during sustained speed and a slight reduction in range due to the extra weight in stop and go traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Yep, exactly. Even though a RWD Y will be more efficient, Tesla can advertise it with the same range as the AWD.
They can, but why would they? 2018/2019 LR RWD was rated at 310 and then increased to 325. LR AWD was rated at 310 and then later increased to 322 but the impact of whatever efficiency improvements were made to dual motor couldn't be seen on RWD model since it had been discontinued by that point. For example, EPA shows the range of 2020 LR RWD (that was never released) as 330.

Either way, I dont expect a massive difference between RWD and AWD , probably 10-15mi difference

Wish they would release the RWD, California has this new $1,500 discount on the Model Y which shows up on my RWD order but I am debating upgrading to AWD to take advantage of that stacked with the $2,000 from the CA Rebate and then $800 from my local power company for $4300 off..

Wish they would release the RWD, California has this new $1,500 discount on the Model Y which shows up on my RWD order but I am debating upgrading to AWD to take advantage of that stacked with the $2,000 from the CA Rebate and then $800 from my local power company for $4300 off..
I'm in a similar situation. We got rid of my 2010 Prius (about 173K miles) in August. This has worked out since I have been working from home, and expect do so indefinitely. However, my wife, who is currently on leave, is expected to go back to work in-person in mid-March 2021 (assuming CA has a better handle on the pandemic by then).

We've held out for the RWD because we expected it to be a few thousand dollars cheaper, and it would have comparable, if not slightly better, range than the AWD. Plus, living in southern California, we have needed AWD once over the past 10 years.

However, with no word on the RWD (and no guarantee it will be produced and delivered by March 2021), and with the new $1,500 clean fuel reward, Southern California Edison's expiring $1,000 clean fuel reward, and the $2,000 clean vehicle rebate project, I am tempted to upgrade to the AWD (White/Black, 20" Induction, no FSD, no tow).