Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But between now and 12/31, can't you double dip?

I think there may be a chance to double dip over the next month if your lucky.

Have a LR RWD 3 from March 2018 and AWD/performance wasn't even announced at the time. Would have totally gone for the AWD if it was available for the added performance. Have they announced the pricing for the RWD Y? I have a sense it will only be a 2-3k difference in price this time around as they seem to be pushing AWD more. Might make sense to try and double dip now for those on the fence.

Also another tip is that discounted inventory Ys have been popping up if you contact an OA. They might have been previous demo test drive cars but sold as new with full warranty. Good way to save several thousands.

Last edited:
I'm in the situation of having a LR RWD reservation since July of 2019, I was hoping this car would be released, or at least have some more information by now. I need to turn in my lease next week, and I was going to wait until December because I also have a reservation for the ID.4 1st edition... My original logic was that I'd go with whoever could deliver my car first, but on the announcement today that the ID.4 has been delayed to late Q1 of 2021 I'm more or less set to just go with the Tesla now and I might as well upgrade to AWD since the price after incentives is now less than my original $49k reservation for the RWD.

I've wanted to use my friends referral code but we weren't allowed to apply referral codes for these early reservations; My question then would be should I just cancel my original reservation and re-do it with my friends referral link? or is there some advantage to keeping my original reservation and just upgrading to the AWD?

Reactions: Gary95476
I'm in the situation of having a LR RWD reservation since July of 2019, I was hoping this car would be released, or at least have some more information by now. I need to turn in my lease next week, and I was going to wait until December because I also have a reservation for the ID.4 1st edition... My original logic was that I'd go with whoever could deliver my car first, but on the announcement today that the ID.4 has been delayed to late Q1 of 2021 I'm more or less set to just go with the Tesla now and I might as well upgrade to AWD since the price after incentives is now less than my original $49k reservation for the RWD.

I've wanted to use my friends referral code but we weren't allowed to apply referral codes for these early reservations; My question then would be should I just cancel my original reservation and re-do it with my friends referral link? or is there some advantage to keeping my original reservation and just upgrading to the AWD?
I jumped off the rwd train on 11/5, when I ordered an awd. Took delivery 11/18

The value of a single referral code (1000 SC miles) is about $75 (depending on where you charge). The hassle of getting your $2500 back may or may not be worth that.

I know a guy who may be able to apply that code for ya though...

I was able to apply a referral code on my RWD reservation by calling a SA.. but still I think YMMV
So far I've gone twice to speak with SA about this. Both times it hasn't happened yet, so yes YMMV otherwise I'd not be asking lol. Maybe third time's the charm? One of you was kind enough to send me the SA that got it done for you so I'll reach out to someone with a track record. Thank you all for the responses!

Even though I don't like the new console, I may wait until the Model Y gets the new console and potentially get AWD or just wait it out for RWD, really don't need a new car right now so I am fine waiting, just wish I can get my $2,500 back to not have to give Tesla a interest free loan as it would be worth $25,000 now in TSLA stock if I had put it in back when I put down the reservation fee.

So I spoke to a SA that could add the referral code, but they were unable since it was originally a RWD reservation. Only way to add the referral code was to cancel and get my $2500 back, then re-order. Wish I could have waited out the RWD bandwagon. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting!

I ordered my LR RWD in January and have been patiently waiting. I didn't want an early one off the line anyway as it seems there are often problems with those. In all that time waiting, I've received two texts from Tesla, back in July the funny one referring to a text I didn't get:

Tesla Update - Our apologies, the previous text sent earlier today about your Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive order was sent in error. Please disregard the timing previously provided, we do not have a timing estimate for Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive vehicles at this time.

And yesterday Dec 1, another sort of similar useless one:

Tesla Update - Hello, this is to inform you that we have updated your delivery location to our Dublin delivery center, located at 6701 Amador Plaza Road, Dublin, CA. This will not affect your delivery time-frame. Please reach out to your local Tesla Advisor if you have any questions or concerns.

So I guess we're still hanging in there...

Reactions: seangoggin
So I spoke to a SA that could add the referral code, but they were unable since it was originally a RWD reservation. Only way to add the referral code was to cancel and get my $2500 back, then re-order. Wish I could have waited out the RWD bandwagon. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting!

It sounds like your advisor is helping you through the process, but I will say as someone who switched from RWD to AWD (taking delivery a week or so from now), make sure that your advisor checks if there is not a hold on your account. There was some kind of tag on my order that marked me as "ineligible" for matching with a VIN- my assumption is that this was done to avoid accidentally matching RWD orders to AWD- and if you change to AWD the simplest thing to do might be to cancel your previous order and submit a new one.

I ordered my LR RWD in January and have been patiently waiting. I didn't want an early one off the line anyway as it seems there are often problems with those. In all that time waiting, I've received two texts from Tesla, back in July the funny one referring to a text I didn't get:

Tesla Update - Our apologies, the previous text sent earlier today about your Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive order was sent in error. Please disregard the timing previously provided, we do not have a timing estimate for Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive vehicles at this time.

And yesterday Dec 1, another sort of similar useless one:

Tesla Update - Hello, this is to inform you that we have updated your delivery location to our Dublin delivery center, located at 6701 Amador Plaza Road, Dublin, CA. This will not affect your delivery time-frame. Please reach out to your local Tesla Advisor if you have any questions or concerns.

So I guess we're still hanging in there...

Interesting, I ordered April 2019 and have gotten no communication besides the apology text, at one point my order did show a delivery location however it is gone now.. Wondering if it is actually moving along since you have a delivery location now..

• Helpful
Reactions: Rogue Synapse
I just got a SMS from Tesla regarding my RWD preorder (Tesla Mexico)

"Actualización de Tesla– Su pedido para su Model Y todavía está en espera.

Favor de responder DICIEMBRE si estuviera interesado en recibir un vehículo de entrega para este mes y un representante de Tesla se comunicará con usted para discutir los próximos pasos."

In summary, it says I should respond DECEMBER if Im interested to get my vehicle delivered this month, and that a sales representative will be in touch with me. Not sure how accurate this info is thou (this is the first SMS I've ever get from Tesla regarding my reservation)

I just got a SMS from Tesla regarding my RWD preorder (Tesla Mexico)

"Actualización de Tesla– Su pedido para su Model Y todavía está en espera.

Favor de responder DICIEMBRE si estuviera interesado en recibir un vehículo de entrega para este mes y un representante de Tesla se comunicará con usted para discutir los próximos pasos."

In summary, it says I should respond DECEMBER if Im interested to get my vehicle delivered this month, and that a sales representative will be in touch with me. Not sure how accurate this info is thou (this is the first SMS I've ever get from Tesla regarding my reservation)
I think what they mean is for you to switch to a dual motor model Y, if you read carefully it clearly says "si estubiera interesado en recibir UN vehiculo" but they dont say its the RWD. Intersting that they are trying to push AWD in Mexico rather than release RWD in US or Canada. A lot of us are waiting on that model, along with 7 seater.