Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens to our RWD LR order now that the order page doesn’t show the car anymore? Bump in AWD range, but no idea what happens to the RWD range? You would think it would also increase with only have one motor vs two?

Nothing happens. You wait.

Maybe a long time.

My guess is they are going to push the margins on the AWDs for the first 6-12 months and not produce the RWDs until production is running at full. I wasn’t planning on actually completing my RWD order until June 2021 anyway.

That would be hard to believe as it is almost a $5k difference ($48k to $52.9k).

It may be hard for Tesla to give the $5K upgrade for free. Hope they can make a deal for you guys.
I hope they can just build a limited number of RWD LR to fulfill those orders. I’m not excited to pay more for AWD, but honestly if that’s the only option I would do it.

Reactions: blissdancer
I can afford to spring for the higher AWD, but if they discontinue the RWD model and don’t honor preorders, I’m out of the Tesla brand to be honest. It won’t be about money but it will be about losing trust with Tesla.

That will make me move over to Ford Mach E. I have a reservation for both a Tesla Y RWD (placed about a month ago after reconsidering an earlier position I had on not doing a preorder) and one reservation for a Mach E California Edition.

I can afford to spring for the higher AWD, but if they discontinue the RWD model and don’t honor preorders, I’m out of the Tesla brand to be honest. It won’t be about money but it will be about losing trust with Tesla.

That will make me move over to Ford Mach E. I have a reservation for both a Tesla Y RWD (placed about a month ago after reconsidering an earlier position I had on not doing a preorder) and one reservation for a Mach E California Edition.

I guess you must be new here. Tesla did this numerous times before. Changing prices, discontinuing trims with model 3. In this case it is non issue as they discontinued RWD before any of them were made so it will not hurt anyone. You can upgrade to AWD to stay in a queue or you can get your reservation fee refunded, no harm caused.
If you are ofended by this then it is your choice. You are free to feel entitled to recieve any nonexistent product from any company you want.

I guess you must be new here. Tesla did this numerous times before. Changing prices, discontinuing trims with model 3. In this case it is non issue as they discontinued RWD before any of them were made so it will not hurt anyone. You can upgrade to AWD to stay in a queue or you can get your reservation fee refunded, no harm caused.
If you are ofended by this then it is your choice. You are free to feel entitled to recieve any nonexistent product from any company you want.

Not new here and I have witnessed Tesla’s shenanigans over the years. That’s candidly why I originally cancelled my deposit after being a day one preorder customer. I threw my hat back in the ring about a month ago. I hope I’m not wrong and they will eventually make the RWD for original preorder customers. Even if it’s after AWD and Performance buyers.

I’ll disagree with you from the stance that having a fully paid preorder for a specified product does create a bonafide entitlement (not an unreasonable one). I don’t think any logical person would disagree that it’s unfair to expect that an agreement between two parties be followed through on.

Anyhow, it’s just a car and I agree with your sentiment that life will go on if Tesla does fail to honor its commitment to preorder customers. That speaks volumes. Tesla will never occupy my garage if they don’t follow through on their commitment after receiving a preorder and a deposit. Hopefully they do follow through and it will be exciting to embrace the Tesla brand and Model Y experience. Simple as that.

Looks like they updated my order with the Gemini wheels. Like I said, I’m curious what the LR RWD range is vs the AWD. Historically the AWD has less range vs RWD?

Seems like if they went to the trouble of updating the wheels they may eventually make the LR RWD. Or, Who knows they might sell a limited number of software locked front drive units?

I purchased a rwd earlier today in the netherlands. I thought i was just in time to place on order and was very happy. However now i am reading that there is a change that Tesla will cancel my order.

Previous on the dutch site an awd was € 62.000 and by now it’s € 65.000. The order price for the rwd was € 58.000,-. The price difference is way to big for me, all i can do is wait (for a year i don’t mind) and hope that the rwd will be produced..

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Not new here and I have witnessed Tesla’s shenanigans over the years. That’s candidly why I originally cancelled my deposit after being a day one preorder customer. I threw my hat back in the ring about a month ago. I hope I’m not wrong and they will eventually make the RWD for original preorder customers. Even if it’s after AWD and Performance buyers.

I’ll disagree with you from the stance that having a fully paid preorder for a specified product does create a bonafide entitlement (not an unreasonable one). I don’t think any logical person would disagree that it’s unfair to expect that an agreement between two parties be followed through on.

Anyhow, it’s just a car and I agree with your sentiment that life will go on if Tesla does fail to honor its commitment to preorder customers. That speaks volumes. Tesla will never occupy my garage if they don’t follow through on their commitment after receiving a preorder and a deposit. Hopefully they do follow through and it will be exciting to embrace the Tesla brand and Model Y experience. Simple as that.
I agree with you. I’m on the same boat. To make it worse I’m on LR RWD 7 Seater pre-ordered in May’19. It’s Tesla’s fault if they can’t make what they promised. They should honor or come up with a deal that works for both parties.

Reactions: tpa dude
Reading in other posts, found this from another user.. JavaScript from the webpage says “
{\"options\":{\"$MDLY\":{\"set_rules\":[{\"action\":\"set\",\"target\":\"$MTY03\",\"condition_code\":\"$MTY02\",\"condition_state\":\"set\"}]}},\"comments\":\"RWD needs to be changed to AWD\",\"effective_date\":\"2020-01-25\"}”

But not sure if they will force price increase or honor the pre-order price. Fingers crossed

But not sure if they will force price increase or honor the pre-order price. Fingers crossed

I don't see how they could lose that much per car. I'd love to get AWD for free but I cannot imagine them eating that cost. I am hoping for some sort of upgrade, maybe FSD or something that doesn't cost them that much, or more realistically IMHO that they just make a limited number of RWD Model Ys. Its not like other discontinued options where they don't have the parts for it. They have rear drive units.