Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD Model 3 acceleration vs <$40k entry luxury sedans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the TM3 is faster than that. A 35k Ford focus RS AWD has a 0-60 of 4.7s with 350hp. My Lexus IS-F RWD with 416hp run the 0-60 per C&D in 4.1s........ I need the TM3 to be in the low 3 SSC range to meet my requirements
Is your requirement to beat them at a dragstrip?

C&D tested the 2016 Focus RS and got 4.6s (0-60) and 5.7s (5-60).
2016 Ford Focus RS - Instrumented Test

C&D tested the 2011 IS-F and got 4.7s (0-60) and 5.1s (5-60).
2011 Lexus IS F - Short Take Road Test

This thread's topic to me is all about an underlying battle between physics and (over) engineering. We can also view it as a battle between the forces of nature vs. man's attempts to overcome or harness them. With our technology right now, physics always wins...

I believe Tesla Motors' approach to harnessing physics rather than sticking to traditional engineering methods gives them enormous advantage over other automakers. They're not showing us what they are fully capable of, yet. I think they're just getting started! I expect the Roadster to become the real deal in serious EV performance and bring it to a higher level.

It will be far better than either. The torque doesn't come on at "low-mid" RPM. It comes on like a hammer at zero. You described it at "immediate torque" and that's what it is. Well beyond what any ICE can achieve. If you've not driven a high performance EV, you are in for something special. If you have driven one... you have forgotten what it is like. Even the mundane EVs on the road today are impressively fun to drive.
I know you are right. I have not driven any EV, nor have I pretended I know what it's like.

I'm just really looking forward to never worrying about where the engine RPMs are to anticipate whether I'm gonna get the acceleration I want at that moment. My driving style is such that I don't like to sit in packs of traffic. If people are going slower than I want to go, I maneuver around them (when safely possible). So being able to quickly move in to openings at the moment they're available is what I love torque for.

I know some folks feel like the power is good for merging and getting out of various traffic situations, but for me...I'll just be completely honest here...it's just because it's awesome! I like my life sandwich with a little awesome sauce.

Now that said, everyone please drive safely; only use your speed in situations that are reasonably safe.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I hope the TM3 is faster than that. A 35k Ford focus RS AWD has a 0-60 of 4.7s with 350hp. My Lexus IS-F RWD with 416hp run the 0-60 per C&D in 4.1s........ I need the TM3 to be in the low 3 SSC range to meet my requirements

Focus RS:
Ford Focus RS - Car and Driver
Rolling start 5-60: 5.7 seconds.
Base Model 3 should be comparable to that, while likely having more reasonable insurance rates. ;)

Lexus IS F - Car and Driver
Only show 0-60 in 4.7, rolling start in 5.1 seconds and price over $60K.
I am sure if you buy a $60K Model 3 it will be faster.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Focus RS:
Ford Focus RS - Car and Driver
Rolling start 5-60: 5.7 seconds.
Base Model 3 should be comparable to that, while likely having more reasonable insurance rates. ;)

Lexus IS F - Car and Driver
Only show 0-60 in 4.7, rolling start in 5.1 seconds and price over $60K.
I am sure if you buy a $60K Model 3 it will be faster.

2008 Lexus IS F - Short Take Road Test

this article says 0-60 4.2 sec. If I go to the drag strip I need good 0-60 times not 5-60. But I agree with your the Tesla should be way more fun.

This is a nice reference chart for Supercar 0-60 times under 3.0 seconds and the Tesla Model S.

Tesla times.JPG

I was just reading Car&Driver's latest review of $40k hot hatches and wanted to share a quote and some data.

2016 Ford Focus RS vs. 2015 Subaru WRX STI, 2016 Volkswagen Golf R - Comparison Tests

When speaking about the Subaru WRX STI: "At low revs, the engine is lethargic and there's a noticeable pause as boost builds--a lack of flexibility evinced by the difference between its zero-to-60-mph and 5-to-60-mph jaunts, which is double the differences of its rivals."

Here's a table of the data from the three cars in the article and my speculation about the Model 3 build levels and their acceleration. The Focus RS and Golf R are a full second slower to 5-60, than to 0-60. But I know of no modern car that has a higher difference (both in absolute value and percentage terms) between 0-60 and 5-60 times than the WRX STI. 2.0 seconds and 43% is huge and I'm glad they called it out in the article.

20160416, Hot Hatch 5-60.png

Very good point about the real world rolling start numbers vs. the rev to 4000 and dump the clutch 0-60 measured numbers.

upload_2016-4-16_9-12-50.png

I was just reading Car&Driver's latest review of $40k hot hatches and wanted to share a quote and some data.

2016 Ford Focus RS vs. 2015 Subaru WRX STI, 2016 Volkswagen Golf R - Comparison Tests

When speaking about the Subaru WRX STI: "At low revs, the engine is lethargic and there's a noticeable pause as boost builds--a lack of flexibility evinced by the difference between its zero-to-60-mph and 5-to-60-mph jaunts, which is double the differences of its rivals."

Here's a table of the data from the three cars in the article and my speculation about the Model 3 build levels and their acceleration. The Focus RS and Golf R are a full second slower to 5-60, than to 0-60. But I know of no modern car that has a higher difference (both in absolute value and percentage terms) between 0-60 and 5-60 times than the WRX STI. 2.0 seconds and 43% is huge and I'm glad they called it out in the article.

View attachment 172487

What you really need is a separate test to see how fast you can do 0-60 without drawing any one else's attention to it ;-)

EV - same figures are above.
ICE - 0-60 in about 25 seconds. LOL

From my experience (in a lowly 175hp i3) is that about 95% of the time I'm across the lights before anyone elses wheels start to turn.