Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD Model S Canadian Winters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I blame Subaru and others for their incessant advertising suggesting the AWD is somehow safer in Canadian winters. I had my RWD Model S for 5 winters and can tell you with proper winter tires, it is as safe as any AWD car. Maybe safer because you don't get lulled in to a false sense of security and get into trouble when it comes time to stop or turn.

I drove daily from the GTA to the Waterloo Region, to Bruce County and Muskoka regularly as well as to Chicago every Christmas. NEVER ONCE did I feel I was in a situation where AWD could have gotten out of a situation I was in.

Here is an older Tesla video describing why you don't need AWD:

Thanks. I've got Bridgestone blizzak on my Volt here in Ottawa and never slipped once this winter but found them loud. Sounds like RWD with winter tires should drive the same as my FWD Volt with winter tires. Once I found out the BMW i3 is RWD I am fine now as I saw a lot of i3 in Ottawa all winter

I didn't go with the X-ice because the Blizzak's are better rated for snow/slush covered roads whereas Xice are better for ice/shiny roads you find more likely on highways. My commute is all city/suburb driving with a portion on country roads between city and suburb so a part of my drive is not on roads that get plowed first after a snow storm so I wanted the snow traction. The reviews said the Xice were not good in those slushy/heavy road snow conditions