Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD MY Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

n88

Jan 12, 2015
FL
So... who out there is still holding out and waiting for the elusive LR RWD? How far have you gone in the order process? What information have you received? What have you ordered? Where are you?

Order: Jan '20
White/White 5 seat 19 FSD LR RWD
Central FL
Current Status: Drafting up Contract for Final Payment, competed all tasks; Lic, Reg, Ins, and Trade-in as of 3/20/20
Info: Received text message" Have no est. delivery time at this moment... we will notify you." 5/16

Reactions: seangoggin
I have the same status: Waiting Contract and VIN, competed all tasks; Lic, Reg, Ins

I think the best indication is Troy's delivery spreadsheet see "Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet".
I think Tesla will focus on Performance and Long Range AWD Model Ys until they mostly clear the backlog.

Then I think they will do a run of LR RWD Model Ys or decide to sell us Long Range AWD models with front motors as a software-enabled upgrade feature. I think most likely is the limited run of LR RWD units, since they will likely start the SR RWD orders after that.

As of July 14, they are have cleared about
58.5% Long Range AWD
70.2% Performance​
backlog and are producing about 5% to 7% of the backlog a week.

So around mid-September to mid-October.

It all depends on the production volume and the number of Performance and LR AWD orders.

Right now little is getting delivered because at the beginning of the quarter they ship the cars to the furthest destinations.
For Model Y this is Quebec and the East coast and all the cars are going to spend 3 weeks on rail and road.

I have the same status: Waiting Contract and VIN, competed all tasks; Lic, Reg, Ins

I think the best indication is Troy's delivery spreadsheet see "Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet".
I think Tesla will focus on Performance and Long Range AWD Model Ys until they mostly clear the backlog.

Then I think they will do a run of LR RWD Model Ys or decide to sell us Long Range AWD models with front motors as a software-enabled upgrade feature. I think most likely is the limited run of LR RWD units, since they will likely start the SR RWD orders after that.

As of July 14, they are have cleared about
58.5% Long Range AWD
70.2% Performance​
backlog and are producing about 5% to 7% of the backlog a week.

So around mid-September to mid-October.

It all depends on the production volume and the number of Performance and LR AWD orders.

Right now little is getting delivered because at the beginning of the quarter they ship the cars to the furthest destinations.
For Model Y this is Quebec and the East coast and all the cars are going to spend 3 weeks on rail and road.

Thanks Troy!

Troy has added a better estimate to the Spreadsheet of when we are likely to mostly be done much of the backlog given current rates.

So I maybe VINs around 3rd week in August and deliveries early to mid-September.

If the economy continues weak we may see an expanded LR RWD production run and for it to return to the order page again.
We saw this in China, the Model 3 is popular, but expensive for the market so the Model 3 LR returned to the Chinese market.

Reactions: Troy
Either way, the RWD is a better and cheaper car.

I am optimistic, I think they will get the GA4.5 line running in about 10 days and will start eating the AWD and Performance backlogs big time.

Which means the RWD will return to the order screen around the end of August and we will get our cars existing orders in late September and October.

Reactions: Kofther
Either way, the RWD is a better and cheaper car.

I am optimistic, I think they will get the GA4.5 line running in about 10 days and will start eating the AWD and Performance backlogs big time.

Which means the RWD will return to the order screen around the end of August and we will get our cars existing orders in late September and October.
Better than AWD? Why?

Better than AWD? Why?

Range

What is AWD giving you?

You have AWD breaking, the front motor gives some improved traction but is it needed. I have a RWD Model 3 and I know with it’s advanced traction control and a good set of snow tires it has no snow or bad weather issues. I have been forced to drive it across a muddy field once and the Tesla RWD is fine for even somewhat extreme conditions (scout camp).

Speed is not a reason, it is plenty fast. You can pass if needed super fast on any two lane highway.

The extra weight and cost is just not needed. The reduced weight increases the Model 3 RWD range and I hope the same for the Model Y.

Just received text:

Tesla Update - Our apologies, the previous text sent earlier today about your Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive order was sent in error. Please disregard the timing previously provided, we do not have a timing estimate for Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive vehicles at this time.

Interesting, as no previous text was received. Something is afoot, if not a specific delivery timeline.

Got both texts. The first one said 5-8 weeks though. We originally had the RWD order placed in January 2020 but was changed to AWD in July 2020 (still waiting for VIN) when the price dropped.

Same timeframe as my order. Ordered RWD in January, changed to AWD when the price dropped and haven't heard peep out of Tesla since.

Was: RWD, Red Multicoat, White Interior, 19" w/ Gemini wheels
Now: AWD, Red Multicoat, Black Interior, 19" w/ Gemini Wheels, Tow Hitch