Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD quicker after V9 2018.42.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you explain the responsiveness of the car, I thought there was really no delay with electric vehicles to begin with.
IMO the pedal mappings from before the update were decidedly non-linear. By that I mean negative/positive acceleration versus pedal position was flat/low in the middle of the pedal's range, and was markedly higher near the ends. If I didn't feather it just right at a certain point in the pedal's travel when slowing down the car would slow down a little faster than I wanted it to, and vice versa in terms of acceleration.

The pedal mappings now are much more consistent insofar as the change in acceleration compared to the change in pedal movement is more predictable/consistent across the pedal's entire movement range. With the last version, it was relatively flat in the middle (large inputs resulted in smaller outputs) and increased sharply at each end (small inputs resulted in large outputs).

IMO the pedal mappings from before the update were decidedly non-linear. By that I mean negative/positive acceleration versus pedal position was flat/low in the middle of the pedal's range, and was markedly higher near the ends. If I didn't feather it just right at a certain point in the pedal's travel when slowing down the car would slow down a little faster than I wanted it to, and vice versa in terms of acceleration.

The pedal mappings now are much more consistent insofar as the change in acceleration compared to the change in pedal movement is more predictable/consistent across the pedal's entire movement range. With the last version, it was relatively flat in the middle (large inputs resulted in smaller outputs) and increased sharply at each end (small inputs resulted in large outputs).
Excellent insights.

The control response you describe is one that RC aircraft pilots have known for years. It’s called “exponential” or expo. It alters the otherwise linear servo power curve to increase or decrease sensitivity at the center of servo travel. We dial in at the transmitter exactly how much expo we want. It is customary to set expo to reduce the response in the middle of the curve to smooth out flights. Doing so makes it feel exactly the same as your sense of the old firmware. More responsive at high and low control settings but less in the middle. By analogy maybe Tesla has dialed out the throttle “expo” and made the power curve more linear in the new firmware. Makes perfect sense. I’m gonna feel for it. Helps to know. Thanks.

Notice how 42.2 materially improves efficiency?

Excellent insights.

The control response you describe is one that RC aircraft pilots have known for years. It’s called “exponential” or expo. It alters the otherwise linear servo power curve to increase or decrease sensitivity at the center of servo travel. We dial in at the transmitter exactly how much expo we want. It is customary to set expo to reduce the response in the middle of the curve to smooth out flights. Doing so makes it feel exactly the same as your sense of the old firmware. More responsive at high and low control settings but less in the middle. By analogy maybe Tesla has dialed out the throttle “expo” and made the power curve more linear in the new firmware. Makes perfect sense. I’m gonna feel for it. Helps to know. Thanks.

Notice how 42.2 materially improves efficiency?
Thanks! I'm not sure if 42.2 did anything to efficiency. I'm leaning towards yes, but I didn't have any of my routes nailed down enough to feel confident it did. And even if it did, I'm not sure if the improvement is from an actual change to the motor software, just because Tesla dialing out the throttle expo helps drivers better use regen, or both.

Maybe they want to push the Mid Range. A lot of people on the waiting list still.
This! They went with 1 less charger board in the MR and apparently an IGBT based inverter instead of the SiC MOSFET based one in the LR. If they can get the price of those down right around the time they finish the newer/less expensive SR pack casing/penthouse, I'm hoping they can start offering a SR with the pup for $40k+. Ideally they can go straight to the $35k+ base SR, but I'm not holding my breath.