Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD this year, or hold out for Performance in a year...

Wait to get Performance or get RWD this year?

• I will get RWD so I get it ASAP

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • I will wait and get AWD even if it means I might miss the full tax credit

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • I will give up the tax credit and splurge on a PXXD

Votes: 15 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously torn with my purchasing decision. I've been waiting for this car forever, since before the Model S. Plan was to get optioned up AWD car. Now we know that AWD means waiting until next year, I am considering just getting RWD. I'm currently in NC mountains, but may be closer to Charlotte in a year or so where there is really no winter. I'm pretty sure I'd get mine this year if I want RWD, which means guaranteed tax credit, but that I would get that money in late January/early February, which would be very good.

The only thing I'm torn on now is if I should put off my order, giving me another 6+ months of saving time, and getting a Performance model just for the heck of it. Fairly sure that my next car after this will be for comfort only, as it will drive itself, so thinking maybe I should get something insanely, or ludicrously, fun, even if it means paying a lot more and missing the tax credit. I've never had a fast car, so it would be a huge for me.

Anyone else unsure of what they're going to get?

I am going to wait for the PxxD version. I wasn't planning on it originally, but now that I have a P Model, I am spoiled. I am assuming the P will have similar performance numbers to my classic P85.
The base model having 0-60 of 6s or less will be plenty for me, I think. I enjoy the RWD P85 so I think a RWD Model 3 with larger battery will be the target. I do expect a P75 to be available at launch (pun intended) and it'll be 0-60 in 5s or so, which should be plenty.

I didn't vote since I think there is a decent chance that the poll presents a false choice re the tax credit.

On March 24, Elon said the "P" version would be out "probably a year from now," so roughly late March 2018. The AWD version should be available earlier.

It seems like there is a decent shot (although not certain) that the $7500 credit won't run out until June 30, 2018, with the $3750 tax credit available until December 31, 2018. So, many customers ordering the P version may qualify for the full tax credit, depending on how things roll out.

Personally, I am hoping to order a P version first but if the "P" timeline slips or full tax credit phases out sooner might start with an AWD instead (I hope to eventually order one P and one AWD).

Last edited:
My reservation will probably be due to be filled in the spring next year so I will probably have a choice of drive type and get the full tax credit. I will probably go with RWD and large battery option; maybe P depending on price. This will be the most fun driving combination combined with close to max range.

I didn't vote since I think there is a decent chance that the poll presents a false choice re the tax credit.

On March 24, Elon said the "P" version would be out "probably a year from now," so roughly late March 2018. The AWD version should be available earlier.

It seems like there is a decent shot (although not certain) that the $7500 credit won't run out until June 30, 2018, with the $3750 tax credit available until December 31, 2018. So, many customers ordering the P version may qualify for the full tax credit, depending on how things roll out.

Personally, I am hoping to order a P version first but if the "P" timeline slips or full tax credit phases out sooner might start with an AWD instead (I hope to eventually order one P and one AWD).

Exactly. Missing out on the tax credit completely and getting the performance version is a false choice. The poll wording needs to be updated.

I wouldn't mind a RWD P version for our model 3. It is always possible to buy a regular RWD version and later sell it to buy an PXxD. This way you will get the tax credit and I doubt it will be hard to sell an early model 3...

I would be willing to forego the tax credit in order to get a performance model. In other words, timing of the tax credit isn't what's going to make my decision, and I definitely want a performance model.

That said, there's still a very good chance I'll just keep my P85. I have been to the hardware store and lumber yard a number of times in the last couple of weeks, and am remembering how much I like the ability to haul 8'-10' long pieces of lumber and 10' long segments of PVC. I could hitch a trailer to the X, but it's much easier to just take the S. I think the 3 will have really good cargo capacity, but I don't see it being quite as versatile as the S.

Reactions: jsrawa and McHoffa
I am a non owner in CA reserved at around 10:10 at the store morning of the opening of reservations.....

I have 2 reservations (last minute decision while standing in line - in case a family member decided later they wanted one). One potential scenario I am debating now (If the urge for the PXXD is overwhelming) is getting a loaded RWD early (auto pilot will be a nice perk on my 35 mile one way commute in LA traffic) and then trading it in for the PXXD using the second reservation.

If, on the slim chance this is how it goes, how much depreciation do you think I will take a hit for? My initial thought is the 3 RWD will hold value pretty well due to the back log of orders also the 7500 credit will also ease the pain - I suppose I'll have to return the $2500 to the state though....