Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD this year, or hold out for Performance in a year...

Wait to get Performance or get RWD this year?

• I will get RWD so I get it ASAP

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • I will wait and get AWD even if it means I might miss the full tax credit

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • I will give up the tax credit and splurge on a PXXD

Votes: 15 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon never said that. The only thing he said was that sometime in 2018 they would be at 10k per week. Sometime in 2018 could be all the way in December of next year.

So you think that even though he just said customers won't see AWD until next year that they'll somehow start delivering them this year? Most of the time, things come LATER than he says. I definitely wouldn't bet money that AWD will be available this year. I wish it would, but I'm not holding my breath!

There is absolutely no way that we will see AWD this year and his twitter comment confirms that. I'm a Tesla fan like everyone else here but anyone who believes that they will be far enough ahead that they will start AWD this year is delusional. You just can't ignore the track record Tesla has for timeliness, I think they will start production in July but I think the goals they have set (1,000 in July, 2,000 in August, etc) are aggressive and unlikely. I mean 1,000 a week in July!?

That being said I'd love for Elon to prove me wrong.

Reactions: McHoffa
Seriously torn with my purchasing decision. I've been waiting for this car forever, since before the Model S. Plan was to get optioned up AWD car. Now we know that AWD means waiting until next year, I am considering just getting RWD. I'm currently in NC mountains, but may be closer to Charlotte in a year or so where there is really no winter. I'm pretty sure I'd get mine this year if I want RWD, which means guaranteed tax credit, but that I would get that money in late January/early February, which would be very good.

The only thing I'm torn on now is if I should put off my order, giving me another 6+ months of saving time, and getting a Performance model just for the heck of it. Fairly sure that my next car after this will be for comfort only, as it will drive itself, so thinking maybe I should get something insanely, or ludicrously, fun, even if it means paying a lot more and missing the tax credit. I've never had a fast car, so it would be a huge for me.

Anyone else unsure of what they're going to get?
I'm in the same boat mate... And really feel that waiting in line in the rain was now a waste of time... As having AWD is very important to me

Reactions: McHoffa
Once Tesla got the first Model S production line up and working properly....it was rinse and repeat to double the throughput.

I don't know if they are going to do the same thing with the Model 3, but i don't see why not.

As a matter of fact...I would assume a large part of the Model 3 production line would be rinse and repeat from the Model S and X lines. Such as paint. Tesla knows how to paint a car now. That function should be somewhat rinse and repeat. Since production is starting in about a month....I would assume they are almost finished with the production lines and are now pushing throw-away cars down the line now....and fine tuning everything.
So you are saying Musk will deliver a car ahead of schedule and you are 100% sure. :rolleyes:
I'm absolutely not sure....however as I said....its Teslas turn for something early.

Screenshot_20170523-232441.png
AWD will be out in 2017 and P version in Q1/Q2 of 2018 meaning good chance we will all get the full credit. Threads like this post misinformation about the AWD and P timeline plus add confusion regarding the tax credit availability.
Ummm... Elon disagrees with you

I would be willing to forego the tax credit in order to get a performance model. In other words, timing of the tax credit isn't what's going to make my decision, and I definitely want a performance model.

That said, there's still a very good chance I'll just keep my P85. I have been to the hardware store and lumber yard a number of times in the last couple of weeks, and am remembering how much I like the ability to haul 8'-10' long pieces of lumber and 10' long segments of PVC. I could hitch a trailer to the X, but it's much easier to just take the S. I think the 3 will have really good cargo capacity, but I don't see it being quite as versatile as the S.
What are ya building? :)

I hope so too. If we can't that would mean that I camped out over night at a Tesla store for nothing and will be left to fight with the masses the minute the option becomes available in late 2017/early 2018.
Me too and I'm hoping there is a special option to select "no, I'd like to wait for AWD- put me first in line to configure AWD when it becomes available"

Reactions: nd4spd569
There's always the option to buy the RWD now and keep for a year or so then sell it and get the P/AWD. I doubt they will depreciate that much given all of the pent up demand. Also by then any kinks will have been worked out.
U just gave me idea to buy base model with no options... Would stand to lose the least money on it if I resell next year... but then do I lose my place in line for PAWD???

The base model having 0-60 of 6s or less will be plenty for me, I think. I enjoy the RWD P85 so I think a RWD Model 3 with larger battery will be the target. I do expect a P75 to be available at launch (pun intended) and it'll be 0-60 in 5s or so, which should be plenty.
Base Model S 0-60 is 5.5 seconds. We now know the base Model 3 is 5.6 seconds. That's only 0.1 second slower. I'd expect the entire lineup to follow pretty closely except the P75D would probably be closer to 3 seconds or more rather than 2.3 just because it won't have the huge battery. Compare it more to a P85D Model S.

Solar roof is there when it is on the roof. Not sure what is hard to understand about that.
The ability to order the shingles wasn't slated to occur until 2018. Its still 2017 ( second quarter ) right?

3 years ago .... reusable rockets weren't even heard of and Tesla slated Space X ( re-usable rocket ) missions to occur "before" 2020 ( late 2018 ).

Reactions: Waiting4M3
View attachment 228207
Ummm... Elon disagrees with you

You mean Elon disagrees with himself. He's previously stated in a tweet that some of the March 31st reservation holders may get AWD models before the end of the year. Elon Musk on Twitter now this was replying to someone in California

The twitter question you cited was regarding the AWD rollout asked be a Colorado resident. Now if California March 31st res holders for AWD is a maybe in Dec 2017, then it's safer to simply say early next year when responding to a CO resident for which you don't know when they reserved.