TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

RWD vs AWD

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by aarons23, Apr 1, 2016.

1. aarons23

aarons23 Member

Since we now know the base Model 3 is RWD, I am curious what your guy's opinion on what option is? Is the RWD good in snow, etc?

2. sg021

sg021 Member

We would get AWD because our house is on a hill that is tough to navigate in the snow, and my wife is expected to get to work if at all possible. Model S RWD does ok in the snow from what I've heard, but the 3 will be lighter which will hurt it a bit.

3. mcghee33

mcghee33 Member

In general all RWD card are suboptimal in the snow. I will also say that I live in Saint Louis where we only get a little snow and ice each year compared to some, and I own an AWD car and I will never go back to front or RWD. For someone who appears to live in the NE I would recommend the AWD, you will not regret it.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

RWD is suboptimal in traditional ICE cars because the weight distribution is only 50/50 when fully loaded. Also, most people's experience dates from before traction control and stability control. With proper snow tires, my Model S85 is as good in snow and ice as anything else because the weight distribution is always close to 50/50.

That said, when you can't go in an RWD it's because it's RWD. When you can't go in an AWD, it's in spite of being AWD. There is a strong psychological factor here.

• Like x 2
  5. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

The low center of gravity due to the battery pack makes a RWD tesla better than any other RWD car. That said, I live in the NE and have a 70D. We will only consider AWD. If I lived elsewhere I wouldn't need it - but I understand general handling is different without it. Maybe someone could chime in re: the difference.

6. Kalud

Kalud Member

For what it's worth, I love my RWD Model S, after 2.5 years and 72,000 km. I would get RWD again and living around Montreal in Canada we get plenty of snow and hills.

Not sure what we'll order for our Model 3 reservation since it will replace my wife's car, but most likely RWD.

7. roguenode

roguenode Member

I think RWD can be absolutely fine in the snow. Tires make the biggest difference regardless of the drivetrain, imo.

Your local conditions are likely a bigger factor if you are thinking of going with AWD. For example, If I lived 20 miles East and went up to the mountains for summer hikes and ski resort visits, I'd go RWD for sure, even though I'd still see quite a bit of local snowfall in a mostly flat, urban environment. However, my daily driving area can get very high snow loads, has steep, dangerous roads, and is somewhat remote, so AWD makes more sense for the extra peace of mind. ymmv.

• Like x 1