Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD vs P3D drag race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rob968

Jul 12, 2018
NJ
In case you haven’t seen it, Teslanomics did an acceleration comparison between the RWD and the Performance AWD 3. Numbers are one thing, but it’s hugely helpful to see how it translates into actual real world differences. As you can imagine, the P3D is quite a bit faster. The big question; in a drag race, is the AWD version closer to the RWD, to the P3D, or right in the middle? “Seat of the pants” feel sadly doesn’t translate through video, so most of us will have to use our imaginations.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Just having some fun speculating while waiting for my car to be built. As I said, posted numbers are one thing, but *seeing* how dramatic of a difference there is in real life is another thing. Otherwise, what fun would it be to watch all those Model S vs fire breathing ICE car drag races when we could just look at the numbers?

In case you haven’t seen it, Teslanomics did an acceleration comparison between the RWD and the Performance AWD 3. Numbers are one thing, but it’s hugely helpful to see how it translates into actual real world differences. As you can imagine, the P3D is quite a bit faster. The big question; in a drag race, is the AWD version closer to the RWD, to the P3D, or right in the middle? “Seat of the pants” feel sadly doesn’t translate through video, so most of us will have to use our imaginations.

video is tough to watch. I'll save you the time: P3D gets mid 7s in 1/8 mile and RWD gets low 9s. And the otherwise bright Teslanomics guy is too giddy about reaction times.

Reactions: Rich966 and Mayhem
To compare to my old P85D the performance 3 is not as quick out of the hole. The P3’s 60ft time was 1.80 whereas my P85D would run low 1.6 and occasionally dip into the high 1.5’s. Surprisingly a P100D has the same 60ft as a P85D.

The Model P3’s initial jolt and head snapping acceleration is not as pronounced as the P85D. A launch mode would help reduce the 60ft by a tenth, so theoretically the best 1/4 mile time is around a 11.5 @ 114 or 115mph. Still great numbers for a heavy sedan.

To compare to my old P85D the performance 3 is not as quick out of the hole. The P3’s 60ft time was 1.80 whereas my P85D would run low 1.6 and occasionally dip into the high 1.5’s. Surprisingly a P100D has the same 60ft as a P85D.

The Model P3’s initial jolt and head snapping acceleration is not as pronounced as the P85D. A launch mode would help reduce the 60ft by a tenth, so theoretically the best 1/4 mile time is around a 11.5 @ 114 or 115mph. Still great numbers for a heavy sedan.

Agree.... Have seen lots of data points for the P85D, (and P90D, P100D for that matter) and the max G is higher in the MS P cars initially. The P3 isn't initially as high (less neck snapping) but keeps going for a bit longer. Net effect is a 0-60 time that is dang close (if not equivalent) to P85D at 3.2s (on 90%+ SOC) and the quarter in 11.7-11.8s.

Agree.... Have seen lots of data points for the P85D, (and P90D, P100D for that matter) and the max G is higher in the MS P cars initially. The P3 isn't initially as high (less neck snapping) but keeps going for a bit longer. Net effect is a 0-60 time that is dang close (if not equivalent) to P85D at 3.2s (on 90%+ SOC) and the quarter in 11.7-11.8s.

From all the data I've seen, I believe the reason for this is that 3P has insufficient grip 0-60, even with the P+ package. S/X are heavier and have greater traction as a result even with comparable tires. The downside of the P+ package is it is heavier rotational mass with the rims/tires, which has a negative impact at higher speeds (60+) once when the vehicle shifts from traction limited to power limited. In other words, 3P+ will perform better 0-60 (most of which due to tires), but 3P stock will do very well in quarter mile with less rotational mass.

The constraint is in the rear -- put 10inch sticky tires on the 3P (rear only), and you're going to see some crazy results (mid 10's @ 1/4). Drop 3-5lbs per rim, and you might shave another 1-2 tenths. But until you solve the traction problem, dropping weight is meaningless.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sg911 and FlyNavy01
I've tried tire changes with P100D and P85D and it had little to no change in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. EV's are not like ICE vehicles where adding more grip has a major affect. Tesla's traction control is very precise and leaves little room for additional performance. What we don't know is what SOC the car was at for this 1/4 mile run. Hopefully, it was at a SOC below 90%. This would indicate there is a small performance gain available. The current iteration of the performance model 3 will never dip below an 11.4 in the quarter mile.

EV's are not like ICE vehicles where adding more grip has a major affect. Tesla's traction control is very precise and leaves little room for additional performance.
That doesn't make any sense. Even a 100% perfectly applied TCS is still beholden to the actual grip physics between the tires and the ground. All TCS does is get the car closer to using 100% of the grip available to the car. If the car can output more torque than the tires will hold, increasing grip will make you faster. If changing tires on the S P cars doesn't make them faster, that just means they aren't grip limited.

Reactions: bhzmark and khraiv
I've tried tire changes with P100D and P85D and it had little to no change in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. EV's are not like ICE vehicles where adding more grip has a major affect. Tesla's traction control is very precise and leaves little room for additional performance. What we don't know is what SOC the car was at for this 1/4 mile run. Hopefully, it was at a SOC below 90%. This would indicate there is a small performance gain available. The current iteration of the performance model 3 will never dip below an 11.4 in the quarter mile.

what about replacing stock wheels to lighter forged wheels with stickier tires? would that impact those numbers?