TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

RWD vs P3D drag race

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by rob968, Aug 7, 2018.

1. rob968

rob968 Member

In case you haven’t seen it, Teslanomics did an acceleration comparison between the RWD and the Performance AWD 3. Numbers are one thing, but it’s hugely helpful to see how it translates into actual real world differences. As you can imagine, the P3D is quite a bit faster. The big question; in a drag race, is the AWD version closer to the RWD, to the P3D, or right in the middle? “Seat of the pants” feel sadly doesn’t translate through video, so most of us will have to use our imaginations.

• Informative x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Not sure why this is a big question the stated specs and what folks are seeing are in line with Tesla numbers ...AWD 4.5 vs RWD 5.1 is smaller gap ..

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. rob968

rob968 Member

Just having some fun speculating while waiting for my car to be built. As I said, posted numbers are one thing, but *seeing* how dramatic of a difference there is in real life is another thing. Otherwise, what fun would it be to watch all those Model S vs fire breathing ICE car drag races when we could just look at the numbers?

4. AndyW318

AndyW318 Member

And now for an actual video of it happening:

• Like x 2
  5. TexasTeslaRacing

Looks like an 11.79 @ 113mph for 1/4 mile. Not bad.

• Like x 1
  6. Mayhem

Mayhem Professional F5 Presser

Another 11.8 1/4 run... same as P85D (w/o Luda upgrade)!

7. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

video is tough to watch. I'll save you the time: P3D gets mid 7s in 1/8 mile and RWD gets low 9s. And the otherwise bright Teslanomics guy is too giddy about reaction times.

• Like x 2
  8. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

Even better:

1/4 mile - [email protected]

9. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Damn, that dark one looks really good with the turbine wheels.

10. TexasTeslaRacing

To compare to my old P85D the performance 3 is not as quick out of the hole. The P3’s 60ft time was 1.80 whereas my P85D would run low 1.6 and occasionally dip into the high 1.5’s. Surprisingly a P100D has the same 60ft as a P85D.

The Model P3’s initial jolt and head snapping acceleration is not as pronounced as the P85D. A launch mode would help reduce the 60ft by a tenth, so theoretically the best 1/4 mile time is around a 11.5 @ 114 or 115mph. Still great numbers for a heavy sedan.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  11. Mayhem

Mayhem Professional F5 Presser

Agree.... Have seen lots of data points for the P85D, (and P90D, P100D for that matter) and the max G is higher in the MS P cars initially. The P3 isn't initially as high (less neck snapping) but keeps going for a bit longer. Net effect is a 0-60 time that is dang close (if not equivalent) to P85D at 3.2s (on 90%+ SOC) and the quarter in 11.7-11.8s.

12. khraiv

khraiv Member

From all the data I've seen, I believe the reason for this is that 3P has insufficient grip 0-60, even with the P+ package. S/X are heavier and have greater traction as a result even with comparable tires. The downside of the P+ package is it is heavier rotational mass with the rims/tires, which has a negative impact at higher speeds (60+) once when the vehicle shifts from traction limited to power limited. In other words, 3P+ will perform better 0-60 (most of which due to tires), but 3P stock will do very well in quarter mile with less rotational mass.

The constraint is in the rear -- put 10inch sticky tires on the 3P (rear only), and you're going to see some crazy results (mid 10's @ 1/4). Drop 3-5lbs per rim, and you might shave another 1-2 tenths. But until you solve the traction problem, dropping weight is meaningless.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. TexasTeslaRacing

I've tried tire changes with P100D and P85D and it had little to no change in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. EV's are not like ICE vehicles where adding more grip has a major affect. Tesla's traction control is very precise and leaves little room for additional performance. What we don't know is what SOC the car was at for this 1/4 mile run. Hopefully, it was at a SOC below 90%. This would indicate there is a small performance gain available. The current iteration of the performance model 3 will never dip below an 11.4 in the quarter mile.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  14. PessimiStick

PessimiStick Member

That doesn't make any sense. Even a 100% perfectly applied TCS is still beholden to the actual grip physics between the tires and the ground. All TCS does is get the car closer to using 100% of the grip available to the car. If the car can output more torque than the tires will hold, increasing grip will make you faster. If changing tires on the S P cars doesn't make them faster, that just means they aren't grip limited.

• Like x 2
  15. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

I'm glad he made this video although I'm generally not a fan of Ben and his "Teslanomics"

• Like x 2
  16. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I doubt this at all ...

• Like x 2
  17. shiz

shiz Member

what about replacing stock wheels to lighter forged wheels with stickier tires? would that impact those numbers?