Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD wheel spin on hard launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible/easy to spin the rear tires if launching hard from a standstill? What about when taking a turn and hitting the "gas"? Even with traction control I can usually get a little spin on higher HP RWD ICE cars. Just trying to get an idea how easy or difficult it is to break loose the rear tires.

Coming from a Mustang driver (1968 coupe), flipping an Infinity I30t in a S-turn, getting squirrelly in a 2005 Toyota Tundra on wet and dry pavement, i haven't been able to push it past out of my comfort zone. It rides very squarely on the pavement in turns, ramps, and even slow city right turns. I'm a bit surprised.

I've had the rear slide a little in a left turn when I as trying to make the light...maybe from 50 to 35 mph (braking before the turn) at the peak of the turn (dry pavement)..but it's pretty stable from my perspective. I'll need to find a nice empty lot to see how loose it'll get, but form en everyday driver...I'm pleasantly surprised.

I have an S 75 RWD only. I can tell you that I can do a hard straight launch and only get a slight chirp from the wheels. when I do a hard start in a curve, the car only puts down the power that it can handle and once I straighten back up, you feel the extra rush of torque. I would say the computer handles the power very well. Coming from the ole Fbody days, I was slightly disappointed but I'm over it now.
FB_IMG_1461531647890.jpg

Reactions: Scrutmonkey
Is it possible/easy to spin the rear tires if launching hard from a standstill? What about when taking a turn and hitting the "gas"? Even with traction control I can usually get a little spin on higher HP RWD ICE cars. Just trying to get an idea how easy or difficult it is to break loose the rear tires.
Short answer, no. Long answer:
Traction on hard acceleration
Lots of different opinions and physics discussion. haha

You can push it slightly more by turning on Slip Start. It doesn't break the rear end loose but the traction control isn't as aggressive when accelerating through a turn when you're starting at a low speed. Slip Start gets disabled after you drive for a few minutes though.

I get a little chirp on a WoT from a standstill on the 18" Michelin tires, but not much. I will say if you take it into a parking lot and throw it into a really hard turn it's pretty amazing how glued it stays. You can really feel the low center of gravity due to battery weight.