Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD will never get Track Mode? Enter the MPP Party Box!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I lucked out and got a chance to beta-test the Mountain Pass Performance RWD Party Box!

This was my first visit to Willow Springs Raceway. It is not the best track for a RWD Model 3 as it is such a high speed course, and charging is an issue. I went through over 40% of the battery in each session. But it is loads of fun.

The "Party Box" is a traction/stability control device - basically it is Track Mode for the RWD! What's cool is that you can select between 5 different settings which control the level of allowed wheel slip. For example, setting 1 maintains the normal stability control and allows 7% slip, and it progresses up to level 5, which turns stability control off and sets a 60% slip target. All setting retain the full ABS, which is good, especially for those of us still working on our threshold braking technique. With this single device you can take the RWD from Mild to Wild!

For the first and third sessions I had the Party Box off. The second session I played with settings 3 and 4, and the final session I used full party mode. I found a significant advantage to using the Party Box. My best lap with stock TC was 1:48.1 in the first afternoon session at about 85% SoC. My best lap of the day was 1:45.9 in the last session at about 40% SoC using full Party mode. This video shows a comparison of those two laps. I don't claim to be a great driver, I've got about 15 track days under my belt. I'm sure the car is capable of much better times. I was running with the Alfa Romeo club Time Trial and the LR RWD with stock tires ended up in class "P" based on weight to HP ratio and adjusted for modifications. I don't have the final results from the Time Trial yet as I had to leave before they announced and they have not posted them yet, but based on previous year's results, my best lap would have put right near the top of the leader-board.

The key time advantage came in the speed I was able to carry in the long sweepers of turns 2 and 8. Without the stock VSC nannies kicking in, I was able to lock in my steering angle and feel when the car was approaching the grip limit and basically steer with the throttle. Even in the most aggressive setting, I found the break-away very predictable. With a bit more experience with the Party Box, I believe I can improve much more as my confidence increases. Oh, and I've really got to get off of the stock all-season tires!

I also really should have listened to JAD when he told me to not run the full sessions! The group I was running with offered 30 minute sessions, and I just couldn't convince myself to come in before seeing the checkered flag. I was having too much fun! But, not only was I exhausted by the end of each session, but I also had brake over-heat and power reduction warnings.

I have a few upcoming track days planned at tracks I've been to before, like Buttonwillow and Fontana, so I can focus more on getting the most out of the Party Box versus just learning the track.

Oh, and I've really got to get off of the stock all-season tires!
Good new there, driving them like this will mean they'll soon need to be replaced anyway. :)

I also really should have listened to JAD when he told me to not run the full sessions! The group I was running with offered 30 minute sessions, and I just couldn't convince myself to come in before seeing the checkered flag. I was having too much fun! But, not only was I exhausted by the end of each session, but I also had brake over-heat and power reduction warnings.

Just dropping 40% SOC alone creates noticeable effect in loss of torque/HP. At that point you'll be around 50% SOC maximum, and that's quite a falloff from what you get at 70%-85%. I get what you mean though, it is hard to pull in early.

Good new there, driving them like this will mean they'll soon need to be replaced anyway. :)

Yeah, the edges are not happy.
20190223_140306.jpg

Just dropping 40% SOC alone creates noticeable effect in loss of torque/HP. At that point you'll be around 50% SOC maximum, and that's quite a falloff from what you get at 70%-85%. I get what you mean though, it is hard to pull in early.

After the second session I barely had enough range to get to the supercharger 20 miles away in Mojave.
20190223_111242.jpg
20190223_140306.jpg
20190223_111242.jpg

LOL, I thought the AX damage I did to my stock MXM4 was bad. That looks like someone took an eggbeater to hot taffy. Wow that must have stunk.

I saw similar on the "two sessions", although I was on 20 min sessions and my SC was about 35 miles. After 2 sessions I got back with about 2% remaining. Compounding issues was I had been tight for time in the morning, so only SC to about 93% before driving to track, and I had tire changed to 200tw 245/40R18 tires that have higher air and rolling resistance. I did two more afternoon sessions but I didn't fully finish the last one, so after the tire swap back I still had 5% SOC hitting the SC on the way home.

Working on getting 11kW charger installed on-site, should help a lot in that regard. Still no chance to use all 6 sessions for the day, it is just that I'll have a lot more charge left when doing 4 or 5. I might actually skip a session midday to play on the karts they have on site. Apparently it is pretty wild because they only have braking on one axel, which makes thing very "exciting" when you try to out-brake someone. :)

RWD and AWD are still in beta. Based on how awesome it is I think it is bound to be a best seller once it is released. Until then I'll keep testing and posting my results.
I assume you were given the green light to talk publicly about it. I'm looking to hear from someone with the AWD version installed on a D, do you know if they have the AWD version in external testing yet?

Reactions: New_Old_Stock