Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWE Chargingstation@Airport Essen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV_de

Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47
Jun 11, 2009
Germany, IN
look's like they have a charging Cable for the Roadster and "Mennekes" Standart Plug.

... or just a fake for the cameras

rwestromtankst_160x107_7a743ad2a78e607cc7bd304ae7ec0dbc.jpg

more Details:
http://www.wattgehtab.com/images/stories/news/energy/rwe/rwe-strom-tankstelle-essen-tesla-roadster-30072009.jpg

Kinda looks to me like they're faking for the cameras, but there's no reason why they couldn't have custom built a cable. So maybe they did.

rwe-strom-tankstelle-essen-tesla-roadster-30072009.jpg

Original article here: RWE-Ladesäulen in Essen nehmen Betrieb auf - Wattgehtab News

Google translated into English here: Google Translate

translated said:
The metropolitan areas are only the beginning. Long-term goal is a nationwide network with Ladepunkten - and across Europe. For this reason, make 20 companies for the development of a standard charger plug strongly, with the owners of electric cars can refuel anywhere.

[Langfristiges Ziel ist ein flächendeckendes Netz mit Ladepunkten – und zwar in ganz Europa. Aus diesem Grund machen sich 20 Unternehmen für die Entwicklung eines standardisierten Ladesteckers stark, mit dem die Besitzer von Elektroautos überall tanken können.]

I thought Europe had already decided on a standard plug. I wonder if the European 2010 Roadsters will ship with it.

I try'd to get some information's in the "charging threat" about Europe and charging options.
In various threats owner's are talking about charging current's around 30-50A on 240V ...

More then 32A are almost inpossible to find in Europe, but a 3phase System with 400V@16A each is very common on normal Homes and Camping Grounds.

So, IF TM change to the European Standart Plug (Mennekes), it would make sense to change the charger too.

More then 32A are almost inpossible to find in Europe, but a 3phase System with 400V@16A each is very common on normal Homes and Camping Grounds.

I don't want to turn this into another generic charging thread, but had to pick you up on that point...

I'm not sure what you mean about "More then 32A". Is this on a single socket or overall supply to a house?

Not sure about the rest of Europe, but standard domestic supply in the UK is 100A at 240V, however the vast majority of locations have 3 phase 415V in the street. It is therefore very easy to get 3 phase installed and people that have electric heating use this.

Furthermore, most commercial locations will have three phase and/or single phase circuits with more than 32A per circuit.

...I don't want to turn this into another generic charging thread...

Neither am I
----
More the 32A on a single socket ... overall supply for a "Standard Family House" are 36A - 50A
of course on 3 phase 400V System.

the cable from the provider into the House can deliver more the 100A (3 phase 400V).
- but for more then "standard" current you have to pay for (if you use it, or not)
- you need special component
- Bigger cable to an "Industrial socket" 63 or bigger ....

Note: My Energy provider was not happy about my plan to pull 50A on a single phase ....

surely commercial locations have "bigger" sockets 63A/128A aso...
But general public will not have a access to that places ...

My Point is:
Charging in US max. 240V@50A ? right - those are 12 KW, and it's not standard at all ...
Charging in EU 240V@16A - 3.8 KW / 240V@32A - 7.6 KW right now without any changes.

But 400V@16A on 3phases - 11 KW are available, that's almost the US rate
on a 32A outlet are 22 KW - almost double the US rate.

... almost double the US rate possible, IF TM switch to a 3 phase charger.

... thinner cables, no changes at Home required ...

(sorry for the grammar)

...My Point is:
Charging in US max. 240V@50A ? right - those are 12 KW, and it's not standard at all ...
Charging in EU 240V@16A - 3.8 KW / 240V@32A - 7.6 KW right now without any changes...

In USA 3 phase doesn't go to homes. So far all Tesla charging I have seen at commercial locations converted 480V 3 phase to 240V "split phase" to use HPC, MC240 or Roadster Foundry charger.

In USA it would be fairly common to find 240V@30amp in many homes (if they have electric oven, stove or dryer). The MC240 can plug into that (with the possible need to adapt some oven/stove/dryer plug to a NEMA14-50.)
Many USA EV owners install NEMA14-50 with a 50 amp breaker so they could use the Roadster Foundry kit at 40amps. If they only have MC240 they are stuck charging at 30amps for now with the hope that a 40amp capable MC240 variant becomes available (or turn to Roadster Foundry kit in the mean time). NEMA14-50 plugs with 50amp breakers do exist already in some places as a welder plug or RV plug.

Some USA Roadster owners have installed a new circuit with 90amp breaker to use the HPC 240V@70amps. I think we have found that this turns out to be more current than many homes have as excess capacity so people either use lower current or have to upgrade the service to their house ($$$).

So my point was that you can't say "in the EU", because it sounds like the difference with the electrical supply in Germany is a bit more different than I thought :smile:

Here it's very normal to have a 32A circuit for a cooker or a shower. You also have 32A circuits for the wall sockets (one upstairs, one downstairs). In most houses, this would all come off a single phase supply and diversity ensures it doesn't overload. However, as I said it's three phase in the street and a third of the houses would be connected on each phase.

So you could charge at 32A easily - probably a bit more without problems - as long as it is not dinner time, but if you are upgrading the supply for the HPC anyway, then a three phase version would definitely make sense.

... a bit more different than I thought ...
So am I. ;-)

different Form of Power-Grid - due to that fact, your Energy provider gives you more ampere's
to get acceptable KW's for the Kitchen Stuff.

that explains the 100A@240V = 24KW each house,
almost the same 3p/400V@36A = 25KW that we have, just not that "Roadster" compatible.

FYI: things like electric oven, stove, water heater.... simply everything with more then
3.x KW consumption is connected to 3 phase's. (in Germany)