Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ryan Shaw got his Model Y detailed and ceramic-coated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No idea who this Ryan is but he sounds like a whiny YouTuber trying to make a video that will get lots of hits because its about attacking Tesla's Build Quality.

I don't think it was whiny at all. At least he is not like all the idiots on YouTube posting a thumbnail with their Tesla and them with the thumbs down and a frowny face (God I hate that!!!). He is just pointing out the fact that Tesla is sub par when it comes to paint quality. I don't think anyone can dispute that with actual proof.

First off... Why are attacking a YouTuber that is truly trying to help others?!? No one understands where you are coming from at all. Ryan has helped us all through the Tesla Model Y journey. I think this video is truly one of his best as it gave everyone including you insight on how this work is performed. I personally have had this done to all of my cars and never have experienced the process from start to finish. So Ryan helped us all and actually showed us. No need to attack people that give you content. Please don’t respond you will not get a reply.
Hey, @ryanshawtech, I'm not attacking you. I shared your video and called it interesting. Then I explained how it affects my plans.

• Disagree
Reactions: mwdietertg
For some reason, some people -- including Ryan Shaw -- are taking my OP as an attack. It's not and there's nothing about it that would suggest otherwise. I don't know why I need to explain this, but now I have and I'm not doing it again. I'm also never posting anything by him again, because I don't need this drama.

Reactions: everydaychris
I think Ryan's channel is great. I'm a subscriber. I would like to see more charging things in general, because it seems like most YouTubers:

1. Edit out the duration of when they leave the highway on a road trip and go to the said charger, this adds time, I would like to see a stopwatch or something going until they get back on the highway so you get a due sense of "time"

2. Are people out in Cali where there are a lot of free chargers. I'm outside of the NYC metro area and it seems like there are some L2 chargers but they aren't nearly as prevalent. It seems like in Cali they're in every shopping mall. Here, not so much. Until it gets to the point where you don't have to "hunt" for the L2 chargers when you're in a store, it's just an extra thing to worry about at times. There certainly aren't any free ones.

3. Electrify's new charging stations going in are CCS or Chademo. I wish they had a J1772, so I could use the L2 with a Tesla. I'm not paying for that $500 adapter.

However, I do think that if you're spending that much money on any car on any make that it should be build to a certain standard or expectation. I'm only looking at the Model Y non-performance with no FSD, and that's still pushing $53k, about $13k more than I've ever paid for a car... I'm not saying the Model Y isn't worth $53k, but I am saying that it should probably have equal or better build quality compared to the Honda Pilot that I bought for 40k...

Would I lose sleep over it if the panels weren't perfect? No, probably not. Would it frustrate me at cause me to love the car just a hair less every time I looked at it? Maybe. Would I get rid of the car or get a different car because of those minor imperfections? No way.

Paint correction plus ceramic coating would be somewhere in the range of a couple of thousand, depending on how much correction was needed and what sort of coating. Film would would add thousands more, depending on whether you do just the front or the whole thing; something in the range of one to five thou.

Adjust all this for local cost of living, quality of the shop, and the cost of materials.

I got my Y paint correction, full frontal xpel PPF, and complete ceramic coating done for $2400 in the East Bay (Concord, CA). The guy Abraham is a one man shop and currently does the work in his garage. I think the pricing is reasonable in the bay area and he did excellent work.

If anyone is interested, the business is called Quartz Detail Restoration & Protection.

Remember these YouTube guys get hundreds a month income from their channel.

Personally? I’m going to look at it and note any glaring errors and then do my usual. I like the TurtleWax Ceramic Spray and that will be good enough.
To each their own of course, but I hope you know that my motivation for making this video is to help others. I learned a lot from YouTube videos
Detailers do want my money, and I'm willing to give it to them if they earn it. In the perfect world, the Tesla would arrive without significant defects and be at least coated with ceramic. But we don't live in that world, so we have to make do. I don't begrudge people the money they make for doing work for me that I couldn't do myself.

As for YTers, I'm pretty sure he spent more on that work than he'll ever make from one more video.

Interesting video. Based on this, whenever I eventually get my own Model Y, here's my plan:
  1. Take it to a detailer first and pay them to list all of the defects, on paper. Why? Because they're going to be better at catching them than I ever will, and I'll be paying them for more work later, anyhow.
  2. Complain to Tesla about any significant defects. This includes uneven body panel gaps, noises, and things just plain not fitting and/or not working. This does not include paint issues: I don't trust Tesla to fix them as opposed to making them worse.
  3. Once the car is back from Tesla, pay the detailer to confirm that the issues that were supposed to be fixed actually got fixed. If not, complain again to Tesla until they are.
  4. Now that Tesla's done with it, have the detailer cover the car with PPF and ceramic coating, after paint correction.
  5. ???
  6. PROFIT!!!
What do you think?
hey Electric Steve. I think a lot of people (including me at first) saw this post and thought you were being sarcastic, and saying that I did this entire process just to profit for a YouTube video and make tesla look bad (which definitely wasn’t the goal). Sorry to see you’ve been attacked! Especially since that wasn’t your intention.

No idea who this Ryan is but he sounds like a whiny YouTuber trying to make a video that will get lots of hits because its about attacking Tesla's Build Quality.

Have you ever seen my channel? Been looking forward to this car every day for about 6 months, and called Tesla constantly for 2 weeks to in one available in LA. The first flaw I noticed was paint, and got it fixed because I absolutely love the car. There are a couple flaws as well, and I would hate to recommend the car, and have other people experience flaws that I never told them about. But I also go into detail about how amazing the car is, and why it is worth buying despite the flaws it will likely have.

To each their own of course, but I hope you know that my motivation for making this video is to help others. I learned a lot from YouTube videos

hey Electric Steve. I think a lot of people (including me at first) saw this post and thought you were being sarcastic, and saying that I did this entire process just to profit for a YouTube video and make tesla look bad (which definitely wasn’t the goal). Sorry to see you’ve been attacked! Especially since that wasn’t your intention.
Indeed it wasn't. I posted your video because I liked it. I'm a happy subscriber.

I'm sorry if I came across as sarcastic. That wasn't my intention. In fact, those are my actual plans for what I'm going to do with my own Model Y, once it arrives. Tesla has its problems, but it's still head and shoulders above the competition.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback and please keep on making those videos.

Okay, bloody wonderful, everyone is happy. No hard feeling all around? How nice. By the posts it sounds like both are really excited and first time Tesla buyers. That is great. We want more buyers to improve the product.

This is the internet, someone will read your post and get offended and another will read it and find no fault. Neither is wrong.

To think that this car is expensive? At 60 grand well equipped? Well...compared to some other middle of the road cars maybe but not when compared to a lot of others and most pickup trucks. Honda, Toyota and Nissan are not really in the comparison because of the sticker price. Perhaps more than some usually spend on cars.

Well don't get your hopes up as to it being a luxury ride. Ride quality is good but not great, its a heavy beast and shows it in corners, it's not quiet with road noise and has many more quality issues other than just the paint. That being said it goes like stink, is easy to charge at home, stereo sound is okay and it's fun to drive for a chunky monkey. Most that drive it forgive the crap and smoke an Audi or E class at the light once in a while.

Steve will get his cars paint looking pretty and coated to protect same and Ryan on YouTube is entertaining and trying to make a buck, I'll watch. It's all good. I wish both of you the best and will be happy to buy you a pint if we meet. So no more fighting, kiss and makeup.

PS Steve you might need to order the Homelink. (Probably was included on the Nissan and also on Ryan's previous ride, but not in your new luxury ride.) Cheers! Keep smiling and don't get your knickers in a twist.

Okay, bloody wonderful, everyone is happy. No hard feeling all around? How nice. By the posts it sounds like both are really excited and first time Tesla buyers. That is great. We want more buyers to improve the product.

This is the internet, someone will read your post and get offended and another will read it and find no fault. Neither is wrong.

To think that this car is expensive? At 60 grand well equipped? Well...compared to some other middle of the road cars maybe but not when compared to a lot of others and most pickup trucks. Honda, Toyota and Nissan are not really in the comparison because of the sticker price. Perhaps more than some usually spend on cars.

Well don't get your hopes up as to it being a luxury ride. Ride quality is good but not great, its a heavy beast and shows it in corners, it's not quiet with road noise and has many more quality issues other than just the paint. That being said it goes like stink, is easy to charge at home, stereo sound is okay and it's fun to drive for a chunky monkey. Most that drive it forgive the crap and smoke an Audi or E class at the light once in a while.

Steve will get his cars paint looking pretty and coated to protect same and Ryan on YouTube is entertaining and trying to make a buck, I'll watch. It's all good. I wish both of you the best and will be happy to buy you a pint if we meet. So no more fighting, kiss and makeup.

PS Steve you might need to order the Homelink. (Probably was included on the Nissan and also on Ryan's previous ride, but not in your new luxury ride.) Cheers! Keep smiling and don't get your knickers in a twist.
I don't have a garage anymore, so I don't think I'll bother.

classy man

this is why I follow him

Agree. This seems to fall more into the category of OCD rather than practical or useful. When you first pick up your car, they give you as much time as you want to look it over for defects. Spend a lot of time looking it over very carefully and let them know if there are any defects that you identify. If you can't see anything after a thorough inspection it's not worth having a detailer comb over it in fine detail. Other than perhaps detailers, no one else is going to notice anything that you didn't didn't notice after a thorough close up inspection. Not to mention the fact that Tesla likely wont be willing to fix the defects for free anyway if you accept the car and drive off the lot and then show up later reporting defects. For all they know, you could've caused those defects on your own after you left the lot. Particularly things like paint chips, etc.
My paint is awful. I have mismatched doors on my 2022 model 3. It was pouring rain when I picked mine up. They Instructed me to accept delivery on the app when I checked in before even seeing the car. I was not allowed to look at the car in a show room or even the empty service center. I had a small little girl with me and like I said it was pouring rain. If I had given the chance to thriroughly inspect it I would have rejected it. I pointed out the paint and I was told too bad so said and to report it in the app.