Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RYDEEN RDV360 degree Bird's Eye view plus Integrated 9500ci Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is nice, but it would be better if TM offered the four cameras as a factory option, so the display could be on the big screen.

I have Nissan's version in my LEAF. Packaged with an upgraded stereo, it was an $1,100 option, but they increased the price to $1,500 for MY15.

Unfortunately, Nissan shuts off the cameras at 10 kilometers per hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke to tech support. Unfortunately, this system will not work for what I had in mind. First, the system powers down when the car is OFF. It is not recommended to keep the unit connected to the Tesla 24/7 due to the current drain. Tech support said to install a separate backup battery plus a separate charger if I want to have the unit record when the car is parked. Second, my car has the folding mirrors. As result, when the mirrors are folded in, the side cameras will not be able to record images to the side of the car (the cameras will be pointed to the inside of the car). Also, there is a possibility that the alignment of the cameras may shift over time from repeated movements of the mirror assembly, as the camera is secured to the bottom of the mirror assembly via a slide on clip. Tech support indicated that the system records in the .264 format, but all four camera images will be displayed at the same time on a computer. Thus, it is not possible to view just one image full screen on a display. In addition, the resolution of the camera is only 640x480 (DVD resolution). As a result, the system may not be able to resolve the license number on a moving vehicle (that cuts you off or hits your car), especially in low light situations. Furthermore, I was told that the rear camera image is reversed. Guess I need to keep looking.

The RDV360 looks to be about $635 on Amazon, and the lcd rear view mirror appears to be about $120. However, Rydeen recommends professional installation due to the need for calibration during install.

This looks like a nice system. How bright is the video image in the mirror in sunlight? Do you have the Pano roof? I've found my own video mirror makes the video look really washed out and it's hard to see with glare/reflection from the mirror especially in bright sunlight and some light from the Pano roof (which has an additional 30% Photosync tint on it).

This looks like a nice system. How bright is the video image in the mirror in sunlight? Do you have the Pano roof? I've found my own video mirror makes the video look really washed out and it's hard to see with glare/reflection from the mirror especially in bright sunlight and some light from the Pano roof (which has an additional 30% Photosync tint on it).

The image is bright and visible in sunlight. You can adjust the settings in terms of brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. Parking is a lot easier with the 360 degree view. Love the DVR capability too!

This is nice, but it would be better if TM offered the four cameras as a factory option, so the display could be on the big screen.

I have Nissan's version in my LEAF. Packaged with an upgraded stereo, it was an $1,100 option, but they increased the price to $1,500 for MY15.

Unfortunately, Nissan shuts off the cameras at 10 kilometers per hour.

The image quality of Nissan's OEM system looks vastly superior to this aftermarket solution. The Nissan around-view images are stitched together seamlessly, whereas the aftermarket system would really be better off showing the four images independently as the perspectives are different and distort heavily along the edges. My guess is it takes very precise placement of the cameras to make it look right and without engineering them into the car you can't match the quality.

Wait a minute! This is not possible!!!!! How is your mirror showing an image of your car from 10-20 feet overhead? Gotta blimp or an ever-friendly drone above you?!?!?!?!?:confused:

(Or is it prolecting a cartoon of your car surrounded by four cameras'-worth of super-integrated images of the car's corners? That's really super-nifty-keen-o):cool:

Yep. Not only is it super-nifty-keen-o, but it is a factory option on the Nissan Leaf.

GSP

There may be hope after all to get the 360 degree image on the touchscreen.

Late today I found a device with two RCA camera inputs (NTSC, PAL, etc) and one HDVS output with a Fakra plug perfectly compatible with the Tesla touchscreen connector. I've ordered one for testing. I don't know yet how soon it will be delivered but i'll report back when I've got the hardware and tested it. Fingers crossed.

That's exciting. If it works, please let us know the product! I'm hoping to integrate my original front camera without the rear view mirror. It would open many other possibilities as well.

I still have serious doubts if this touchscreen solution will work but at least there's a glimmer of hope. As swegman indicates, even if it does work the image will not be high resolution.