TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

S 60 Range Increasing ith

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Thomas Allen, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Thomas Allen

Thomas Allen Member

#1 Thomas Allen, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Everyone seems to be concerned with decreasing range as their Tesla ages, while mine is moving in the other direction. When I picked up my 2014 MS CPO in May, my 90% was 183 miles. In July it went to 184 miles, and in September it increased to 185 miles. I drive about 1000 miles each month, with the same mix of highway and city. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Like x 1
  2. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

I have a late 2013 S60, my 90% was 179 and 100% was 199 miles. During a routine check, Tesla found a air leak on my battery and sent my battery back to Fremont for repair. After I got my battery back, my 90% is 182, and 100% is 202 miles now.

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

A variation of 2 miles is nothing to write home about. It's within the margin of error.

4. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

My 2014 S60 is down to 169 @ 90%. My Wife's 2013 S60 is at 182@ 90%. Sounds like you are doing pretty good.

5. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

With my 3.5 year old 85 kWh, I find that the rated range for a 100% charge tends to drop after a few months of doing nothing but my daily commute and short weekend trips and tends to rise after a big road trip with lots of deep battery cycles and 100% charges. For example, a 100% charge on July 4th of this year at 76,429 miles only yielded 251 miles. But I got 256 miles for a 100% charge near the end of a recent road trip (with about 83,000 miles on the odometer). Based on reading lots of threads in the battery section of TMC, I interpret this as 1) the battery being better balanced after lots of 100% charges and 2) the battery capacity estimation algorithm giving a more accurate estimate after getting good date from running the battery from higher to much lower than I do during day-to-day usage. I bet you are seeing this increase because you are doing deeper cycles and fully charging more often than the person that owned the car before you.

I also find temperature can cause the rated range of a 100% charge to vary a bit with warmer ambient temperatures yielding a few extra miles vs. cooler temperatures (especially noticeable when getting a full charge in Las Vegas or Barstow during the summer).

6. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

Have you contacted Tesla regarding your car? To be down 7% off rated range is significant...

My 2014 CPO has been around 160-163 @ 90% since delivery in late-June. I've been in touch with service and they say the battery is fine (tested at 200 in pre-delivery inspection) but there is something in the firmware that needs to be corrected. You may have a similar issue.

7. scottm

scottm Active Member

If your capacity truly keeps going up, you've discovered the chemical equivalent of perpetual motion.

Tesla will want to buy your battery back to learn and capitalize on that phenomena!

8. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

The last time it was in for a warranty issue they ran a batter health check, and said it was fine, but I am going to bring the issue up again at its next servicing.

9. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

They told me my battery was fine, too, but that there was some firmware fix that needed to be created and applied. (They diagnosed remotely, too.) My battery does not show that it charges to 100% -- it stopped somewhere in the last 10% -- and not near 200 miles rated range. I was told this is not the battery but something in the way it displays.

I would ask them if your battery is fine why it is showing 169 @ 90% -- that's only 188 @ 100%. Your wife's is reasonable and what I might accept as normal. Please let me know what you find out.