Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S charges over the set limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this morning that my S had charged itself to 92% even though the set limit is 90%. This has never happend before. SW is version 2019.36.2.1. I charged it in my garage from a Tesla wall connector. I started to use the new Scheduled Departure charging this week on weekdays but today is Saturday. Just wondering if this new scheduled charging feature has brought along a new bug.

The exact same thing just happened to me. I set up Scheduled Departure, weekday only. I noticed that my car started charging as soon as I plugged it in on Friday night, and then also started charging on Saturday morning (today), pushing it over the limit.

In general I’m a big fan of Tesla’s UI choices, but whoever designed scheduled departure was too clever for their own good. For example, if I choose weekday only, what time is the car supposed to charge on weekends? Does weekday only apply only to the preconditioning, or the charging? Why are those two things tied together anyway? All very confusing.
I think this new “Scheduled Departure” feature is, how they say, somewhat half-baked. I’m assuming it’ll all get fixed in an upcoming release. In the meantime, I’m switching back to regular timed charging.

Reactions: AlreadyPro
I meant the old charging option: “start charging at xxx time”, with no preconditioning or anything. If I set it to charge at 4 AM I get most of the benefit of the scheduled version, and I can always turn the heat on with the app.
I set my 2017 S75 D AP2.0 MCU1 to schedule Departure and charge limit to 80%
When I got in the car the next morning to leave it had charged to 87%> I wonder if it would have continued to charge to 100% if I hadn't have gotten in the car to leave?

I've been regularly seeing ~78% with my normal limit set at 75%. Maybe a cold weather buffer, or the estimate being off when the battery cools off after charging? It seems to have only started since it's gotten cold.

This morning the SOC was 93%. The charging had stopped maybe 12 hours before so the peak had probably been around 94 or 95%. I reduced the limit from 90 down to 80% in order not to unnecessarily put strain on the battery when the overcharging occurs.

If you're about to get in the car and drive it I wouldn't stress yourself about straining the battery. It's the time spent at very high SOC that matters, much more than whether you get there at all.
I agree, but I think that 12 hours is already quite long time to have highish SOC, which can be the case during weekends. Hope the next update fixes this bug.