Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S class or Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a BMW guy (mostly M5s but a sprinkling of 740/750s and even a 745i turbo but then I am dating myself). The easiest way to answer the question for yourself is simply find one and go spend a half hour in it. Make sure it is a P85 (and a Plus if handling is a big concern but the P85 with 21s works very well all by itself). It will change the way you look at cars and thus you will have your answer.

Tesla test drives are ok but you will get far more out of spending the exact same amount of time with one of the TMC enthusiasts (read - NERDS). Like me, a lot are perfectly happy to spend time with those considering MS.

I drove a new CLS63 AMG the other day when I went to lunch with a friend. He drove my 60kWh Tesla (really a 40, but performance wise a 60). The interior is better on the Merc...the leather was nicer and it had a suede headliner that actually matched the interior. It also had an enormous amount of bells and whistles, like adaptive seat bolsters and air conditioned seats. He said he felt like the power was similar between the cars, I would agree. The exhaust note was very nice on the AMG, but it felt antiquated to be in a rumbling noisy vibrating machine. The last thing I'll add is when I got in the car, he had it on ECO mode...I immediately switched over to Sport+. I think it's obvious why he had it there, because it sucks gas down like a thirsty camel does water. I'd still take the Tesla, it would be a close choice only if money were no object.

I used to be a BMW guy too, but appreciate Mercs. No doubt, Merc and BMW interiors are nicer. Don't get me wrong, the interior on the Tesla isn't a honda civic. But for a $100k+ car it could use a little more attention. I'd really like sport seats; I move around way too much.

I have had a string of S classes starting from 2000, all leases. The current one is a 2011 4Matic fully loaded. The wife is currently driving it.

Since delivery of the MS four months ago, I don't miss the MB for a second.

I do miss some of the features, however. The A/C seat and adaptive cruise are probably the biggest ones. The S class definitely has better seating and fit and finish, but it almost seems like all of what is there is not necessary. Every time I get in the Tesla it feels like a modern experience for me, and all these items that are 'missing' seems less important. I used to leave the MB home when we went to NYC or if their was valet, now I leave the Tesla behind, even though I always want to drive it. Now, when I get in any ICE I look at the controls and think how antiquated it all looks.

As far as value, who knows. If you drove an S class off the lot today, would it be worth the same as a Model S?

We certainly don't buy these things as an investment. We buy them with our heart.

Test drive a Tesla and I think you will get your answer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.