Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S or 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sach

Sep 20, 2020
Iowa
I’ve always been a little Schizophrenic as far as cars are concerned. Currently we own a 1991 Acura NSX and a 2015 Subaru outback. I’m planning on selling the NSX and buying a late model Tesla. I would appreciate thoughts from experienced Tesla owners on whether I should consider something like a 2017-2018 S or 2020 Model 3 Performance (in the $55K to $65K range). I have owned sprts cars on and off for 50 years, so I like performance, but in my old age I like comfort too.

I’ve always been a little Schizophrenic as far as cars are concerned. Currently we own a 1991 Acura NSX and a 2015 Subaru outback. I’m planning on selling the NSX and buying a late model Tesla. I would appreciate thoughts from experienced Tesla owners on whether I should consider something like a 2017-2018 S or 2020 Model 3 Performance (in the $55K to $65K range). I have owned sprts cars on and off for 50 years, so I like performance, but in my old age I like comfort too.
It's like picking either a corolla or an avalon. The choice is yours'.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

You need to have a chat with yourself and convince yourself to drive both cars and then ask yourself which car you prefer.

I personally prefer the Model S over the Model 3.

Consider what the S has (or could have as an option) that the 3 doesn't, and see if they're important to you. Some that I could think of:
Adjustable suspension
A second screen
HEPA filter
Hatchback
More space
Sunroof

If those are not important to you, the 3 is a great choice. The smaller size makes driving and parking easier.

I would also suggest that you find a way for "extended" test drives. Rent/friends/whatever other way.

I was in the same pickle with S vs 3 and what I can say for sure is that a quick drive when visiting a show room is not enough. After a 10 minute drive in both the S and the 3 I was almost sure that I'd be fine with a 3 too. Long story short, I ended up getting an S and I still feel it's not comfortable enough. Maybe the new ones with adaptive suspension are much better but those are out of this price range.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid and Tozz
I would do anything I could to keep the NSX. That is now a collectors car. I’ve loved both my Tesla’s, the are fast but not really engaging to drive. It’s easy to drive them fast. If you drive the NSX regularly I think you might miss some the connected feelings of driving. I miss driving a stick shift somethings, there is something really gratifying about coming around a corner either perfect rev matched downshift. Keep the NSX buy a used 3.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne
I considered s vs 3 for a while. Decided on the S but that's for my own strange reasons. For most people I'd say 3. Just as fast, more agile, probably more reliable, much cheaper.

My reasons for going S were the option of a third row, cheaper used since it's a lot older, better looking IMO, I also really like having an instrument cluster.

Reactions: cucubits
If you want a luxury sedan with instrument display for the Driver then get the Model S. The interior is closer to traditional but those years are older technology. If you want tech then go for the Model 3 Long Range AWD. Forget the performance model unless you need to show off to your friends and don't mind a rougher ride. The added cost, IMO, just is not worth it. That cost in range and $.

Model 3:
Do you really need to drive 162mph? Or will 145mph satisfy your need for speed?. Those extra 17 mph will cost you $8000 more for the Performance. Instead- if you have the bucks for Performance M3. go for the $8000 FSD option on the Long Range AWD as that is a more mature and wiser expenditure. I guarantee you will use the FSD many more times than the Performance option.

I guarantee you will use the FSD many more times than the Performance option.

I’m gonna go ahead and pull a “lol wut” on that statement. At least the performance improvement exists... FSD is a super expensive pipe dream.

Now that TACC and autosteer are included in the base price of the car, I honestly can’t comprehend why anyone buys FSD.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
As a 6 ft+ person and coming from a large Audi A7 I personally found the 3 more comfortable and more fun to drive. I’d rather have my hatchback but the trunk opens so big it actually has never been an issue. The lack of quality CPO from Tesla anymore and the full new warranty finally cinched it all. If Tesla still offered full refurbished CPO with warranty I would have likely got the used S.

If you are after a comfortable ride, the Model S Raven with air suspension plus adaptive suspension is the finest Grand Touring vehicle available from Tesla.

Model 3, then Y are the most nimble, but if you want comfort, then the adaptive suspension blows them away.

I’m gonna go ahead and pull a “lol wut” on that statement. At least the performance improvement exists... FSD is a super expensive pipe dream.

Now that TACC and autosteer are included in the base price of the car, I honestly can’t comprehend why anyone buys FSD.

I guess you don't know what additional features are currently offered. But surely you must know that FSD future proofs your investment for added autonomy. I didn't buy it to be able to sleep at the wheel. I bought it to get future upgrades to traditional AP.

But if you are just driving locally on short trips, FSD is not really important. I use FSD all the time on highways. Today it has some features for local driving but those aren't ready to be relied upon yet. Maybe next month.
Here are some good demos of the differences back in January and a month ago.

But the key advantage is the updates are coming every few days with new enhancements to FSD while AP only seems to only get added features of older technology once or twice a year. Plus the free hardware upgrades for any connected to the FSD goal.
I do agree the name of AP and FSD is inaccurate and there have been lawsuits in Europe forbidding the marketing using names like these. There are no pilots. Tesla is not an airplane. And it is just an auto assist with the goal of FULL Self Driving. If you search the YT you will find the Tesla alpha test car with current hardware driving all over with the driver in a no touch mode. Pretty amazing!

Each person has to weigh his budget on FSD but my initial post was comparing the cost benefit of FSD to Performance. If you are spending $8K, the FSD is a better return on the money in my opinion, but I don't drive my car on the race track..

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
If you are after a comfortable ride, the Model S Raven with air suspension plus adaptive suspension is the finest Grand Touring vehicle available from Tesla.

Yes, but what is really new and impressive is if you set the Model S to adaptive suspension it will lower the car for high speed- more efficiency. If you have a driveway that has an incline as I do, your Model S can remember that location and always raise the clearance automatically when you enter your driveway. .

Lol, pretty sure we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. ;)

As soon as my Tesla shares get high enough I plan to order a Model Y to replace my Leaf. It will be for mostly local driving. I am open to considering a Performance trim if anyone can convince me why I would benefit from it. I agree with you that you probably would never enjoy FSD but you haven't presented any reason why Performance upgrade is a better expense of $8000. The OP was ready to spend on the Performance and we're just offering solicited opinions to make what we think is a better bang for the buck.

Kyle Conner, Out of Spec Motoring, believes Performance is better than FSD but his reason is he likes to race his M3P on the track comparing to other cars. He even owns a race track. I rarely drive faster than 80mph and like range I get. AP is great, FSD just makes it better.