Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S plaid + cancellation implications on CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember that they still planned on building the Model Y out of Austin with the 4680 cells and the new casting machine. My guess is they just weren't ready to cannibalize Model S Plaid for a Plaid+ that was going to take longer to produce.

Still think the plan is to vet the new 4680 tech on the Model Y, and the Plaid is using the same tri-motor design the Cybertruck will eventually use.

Was wondering about this, too. Not sure what the demand for the Plaid+ was, but hoping that the extremely high demand for the CT means they don’t want to delay it for the sale of however many Plaid+ deliveries they had planned.

Maybe the first production Tesla with three/tri motors will be the CT! It makes sense for Tesla to focus on volume production.

MY 2.0 will be a huge runner, but there's only be a single factory slated to building CTs.

There was a lot of overlap between Plaid+ and Roadster. I remember when Plaid was supposed to be a Roadster-only feature. Then it moved down to MS (MX too?) to replace Ludicrous. Bjorn talked about it and why he downgraded his MS Plaid/Plaid+ order to the LR.

I feel like plaid+ MS was “cancelled” until a later date when new batteries are available and Tesla needs to pull a demand lever for their performance model S. The tea leaves are telling me tri motor CT is going to be delayed into mid 2022 at the soonest. Hope I’m wrong because I reserved one right away and can’t wait to get mine.

I agree with the delay being due to the 4680 battery not being ready for prime time. I have an early CT order, but I just could not wait. I am still getting the CT, but expect it to be hitting the market late 2022. In the meantime, I ordered a Y as a daily driver to replace my BMW. Eliminating $200/mo. in fuel cost and unknown $$$$ maintenance costs on the Bimmer. Should get my Y in October if delivery dates are accurate.