Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very impressed with my Model S interior usefulness compared to my Model X interior rear volume utilization. I'm very surprised the 3 didn't get the rear hatch configuration as it seems unbeatable in a sedan. Everyone wants to compare the value of the Model 3 to the 3 series BMW but the 3 isn't a true volume car compared to vehicles such as the Camry or Accord. If the Model 3 is to be an exercise in sustainable transport and become a true volume car those should be the pricing, range and build quality targets.
The reason given for why they didn't go with a hatch design is that would have required a substantial crossmember near the back of the roof for structural support at the hatch hinge. That would impact the headroom for backseat passengers and break up the open feeling to the glass roof that makes the cabin feel bigger.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I think an interior Model S refresh is immenant. They can’t wait 6 or more months. Too drastic an impact on S sales.

I was seriously considering buying a Model S instead of the 3 but can’t justify the price difference for inferior range and what I consider inferior interior. The superior performance and exterior looks of the S don’t compensate enough for me at that price difference.

My Model 3 expected delivery is Dec-Feb. In the mean time I’ll patiently wait to see what happens with the S and make my decision accordingly.

Reactions: Matias
From this historic interviews I've seen Elon and Franz von Holzhausen, they designed the Model S to be a $50k car initially. For $50k, the interior stacks up very well with competition in 2012/2013 like the E class or 5 series. The reality is that they needed to sell it for much more, but didn't have the ability or didn't prioritize the interior.

Performance is an easy and profitable thing for them to turn up. Luxury buyers pay absurd amount of money to go from a standard Mercedes to an AMG model with only 1 second 0-60 difference.
A Model S is not equivalent to an AMG or BMW M series. Except for the difference in acceleration, there is nothing "sport" about the Model S - not even the P100D. No sport suspension, no special sport driving bits, nothing.

I think an interior Model S refresh is immenant. They can’t wait 6 or more months. Too drastic an impact on S sales.

I was seriously considering buying a Model S instead of the 3 but can’t justify the price difference for inferior range and what I consider inferior interior. The superior performance and exterior looks of the S don’t compensate enough for me at that price difference.

My Model 3 expected delivery is Dec-Feb. In the mean time I’ll patiently wait to see what happens with the S and make my decision accordingly.
it appears that your decision is already made, enjoy your car when you finally get it

What nobody has actually confirmed is whether or not the Model 3 interior feels subjectively lower quality than S. I think it's likely that the materials used will be harder/feel cheaper - we don't actually know yet. Also, while I intend to buy a 3 to use as a spare car, the S will probably ride better/smoother due to air suspension, 1000 more pounds of mass and a longer wheelbase - as is usually the case with larger cars.

One thing which I don't think has been mentioned here is the possibility of a price bump to the S and X. When the Model S came out, it was heavily promoted as "starting under $50,000" and it actually was priced at something like $49,990 for 15 minutes or so. Sure it was a stripped 40 kWh version, but the price has just steadily climbed since then. I wonder (fear) that the 3 may suffer the same fate and it certainly wouldn't make sense for the S and 3 to have any price overlap. A refreshed interior and/or battery bump may also come with a price bump.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Interesting promise they made and broke there. Retrofit lighted mirrors to all Model S... wow. I guess the over-promise, under-deliver mantra was already forming early...

Right. But the promise isn't quite broken yet unless they start adding lighted vanity mirrors to the S and DON'T retro fit existing S's.

Although if they only do those that ask for it, it may just be in the noise.

My P85D still has the light connector behind the headliner where the visor is but I think they removed this from production at one point.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
My P85D still has the light connector behind the headliner where the visor is but I think they removed this from production at one point.

I heard it had been removed (even before the D's came out), then reinstated. My paper Owners Manual (yes, they originally gave you a paper booklet) even shows a fuse in the fuse blocked labelled "Vanity Mirrors".

One thing which I don't think has been mentioned here is the possibility of a price bump to the S and X. When the Model S came out, it was heavily promoted as "starting under $50,000" and it actually was priced at something like $49,990 for 15 minutes or so. Sure it was a stripped 40 kWh version, but the price has just steadily climbed since then. I wonder (fear) that the 3 may suffer the same fate and it certainly wouldn't make sense for the S and 3 to have any price overlap. A refreshed interior and/or battery bump may also come with a price bump.
At double the price of a Model 3 already, I don't see how Tesla can justify even the current price points of S/X. They will have to seriously upscale the cars to justify the existing price points, let alone raising them.

A Model S is not equivalent to an AMG or BMW M series. Except for the difference in acceleration, there is nothing "sport" about the Model S - not even the P100D. No sport suspension, no special sport driving bits, nothing.

I mostly agree but have you drive a P85+ I went from a 2010 M5 to my P85+ and feel it was an upgrade. But all the other Teslas I have driven (as loaners) have made me feel like I was driving a FAST Camry.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
At double the price of a Model 3 already, I don't see how Tesla can justify even the current price points of S/X. They will have to seriously upscale the cars to justify the existing price points, let alone raising them.
Seems like they will rather lower the price than adding any big updates, although they sem to want to.match the 3 when it comes to lacking features. From a Reddit call summary:

Capex on S and X is minor, but there is continued improvement to keep pace with Model 3. Deepak notes they are continued to improve on cost reduction, Elon says that they will be passing some of those on to customers.

I mostly agree but have you drive a P85+ I went from a 2010 M5 to my P85+ and feel it was an upgrade. But all the other Teslas I have driven (as loaners) have made me feel like I was driving a FAST Camry.

I don't think it's just the P85+. I have an early-vintage P85D, where the suspension tuning was like the P85+. It's a great car on twisty country roads, and amazing considering the weight. I'll never understand why they softened the suspension of P models.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
Status
Not open for further replies.