Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S Sportwagen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My favorite car so far for our family in terms of space has been the Jetta TDI sportwagen with panoramic sunroof, we got rid of it to buy the Leaf and have been hoping to eventually move into something like it but EV. After test driving the S, it's clear that it's the next best thing for now, but since then I've been wondering if there are any rumors of Tesla creating a family Wagon. the headroom in the back seat of the S was cramped and the view out the windshield was low, even with the seat all the way down (my wife and I are both 6'+). The X is a logical consideration but the falcon wings makes utilizing the roof next to impossible, which is a must for our road trips. An S with a little more head room and a wagon configuration would be very appealing to us! I wonder if there would be much interest in this configuration?

A wagon shape has more aero drag when compared to the hatchback. Tesla took a hit on range with Model X (order of 10%) and, as a consequence, abandoned the 40kWh battery there. I doubt they want to go on in that direction.
Roof racks will add to drag, making road trips even more impractical. I recommend to wait for the "smart" solution that Tesla announced WRT roof racks on Model X.

A wagon shape has more aero drag when compared to the hatchback. Tesla took a hit on range with Model X (order of 10%) and, as a consequence, abandoned the 40kWh battery there. I doubt they want to go on in that direction.
Roof racks will add to drag, making road trips even more impractical. I recommend to wait for the "smart" solution that Tesla announced WRT roof racks on Model X.

Or wait for the range extended plug-in Q7 from Audi which is rumored for 2015. We drive 900+ miles in a a few times a year and have our eye on that model to replace our GL450 so we can be all EV for local driving but still make our long hauls.

But on your point I would love to see a shooting brake design based on the Model S, something like the new CL63 AMG:

2013_mercedes-benz_cls-63-amg_actr34_ns_71012_717.jpg

A wagon would have less drag than the Model X. Just that in the US, wagons are still considered boring and people want SUVs to fill that roll. A sport wagon would make sense in the future, though. Perhaps more for the European market. I'd like to see other vehicle types first, though.

yeah, I guess we are in that boring family phase of our life :scared:. we want something sexy, which the S is, but something relatively normal looking, which the S is, but also wagon like, even if we also owned an X (with boring standard doors). while putting stuff on top of the car would reduce drag, require more frequent charging, I just don't see that as such a big deal considering we have so many DCQC's here in the northwest (presuming the rumors of a CHAdeMO adapter are true... a deal breaker for us!). We only need a roof rack a few times a year typically, a slower drive would be fine... sheesh, I've driving the Leaf hundreds of miles in a day and know what it's like to have to modify my driving technique to make it work.

For the mass market car which I believe comes after the Model X, I would be willing to bet the car will do what ever it takes (within reason) to get the best range for the buck. I'm guessing it will therefore be the most spacious high performing 4 door 4 wheel compact. That makes more sense to me than a sportwagon as much as I like the form factor of the Jetta sportwagon. After the the mass market car, I would love to see a Tesla sportwagon.

My favorite car so far for our family in terms of space has been the Jetta TDI sportwagen with panoramic sunroof, we got rid of it to buy the Leaf and have been hoping to eventually move into something like it but EV. After test driving the S, it's clear that it's the next best thing for now, but since then I've been wondering if there are any rumors of Tesla creating a family Wagon. the headroom in the back seat of the S was cramped and the view out the windshield was low, even with the seat all the way down (my wife and I are both 6'+). The X is a logical consideration but the falcon wings makes utilizing the roof next to impossible, which is a must for our road trips. An S with a little more head room and a wagon configuration would be very appealing to us! I wonder if there would be much interest in this configuration?

Sorry not electric, but another diesel alternative to the Jetta sportwagon:
2012 Chevrolet Cruze Wagon