Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S tire lease return issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returning a 2019 model S at lease end in about a month. Will be picking up a Plaid. Noticed some unusual highway noise and had my tires inspected by my tire guy, the rears are completely shot, starting to see some of the metal threads. Obviously not eager to buy a set of 4 tires for a car that I am returning in a month. I do have a set of snow tires which are probably not very good for the snow anymore because they have been used for 3 winters. Do you think that Tesla would be okay with me returning the vehicle with snow tires on it? If not, anybody have any advice or should I just bite the bullet and by the new tires. Can't drive the car the way it is right now which is also a problem for me.

I would go by teslas specific guidance on excess wear, as anything other than that is not definitive:

Tires​

Tire tread must be 4/32” or greater. Use a penny to determine if the tire tread meets our requirements by placing the coin upside-down in the lowest tread on the tire. If the tread passes Lincoln’s face, the tread should be acceptable.

Wear & UseNormalExcessive
TiresTread depth 4/32” or greater and all tires must meet Tesla size and rating (speed and seasonal)Tread depths less than 4/32”; tires that do not meet Tesla’s standards for size and/or rating (speed and seasonal); mismatched tires (other than brand); or dry rot, cupped, cut or sidewall plugs
WheelScratches, gouges, chips or dents less than 3” per wheel (maximum of two per wheel)Any bent or broken part, missing or corroded wheel covers; mismatched wheels; three or more scratches, gouges or dents per wheel

Your car was likely not delivered with winter tires, so I wouldnt expect those to pass (or said another way I would expect you to be charged for tires at some point, possibly "later" if you turn the car in with winter tires).

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for someone selling their newly delivered tires because they were switching, or some used tires from a tesla owner, that were enough over the threshhold to still be viable on lease return.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would go by teslas specific guidance on excess wear, as anything other than that is not definitive:

Tires​

Tire tread must be 4/32” or greater. Use a penny to determine if the tire tread meets our requirements by placing the coin upside-down in the lowest tread on the tire. If the tread passes Lincoln’s face, the tread should be acceptable.

Wear & UseNormalExcessive
TiresTread depth 4/32” or greater and all tires must meet Tesla size and rating (speed and seasonal)Tread depths less than 4/32”; tires that do not meet Tesla’s standards for size and/or rating (speed and seasonal); mismatched tires (other than brand); or dry rot, cupped, cut or sidewall plugs
WheelScratches, gouges, chips or dents less than 3” per wheel (maximum of two per wheel)Any bent or broken part, missing or corroded wheel covers; mismatched wheels; three or more scratches, gouges or dents per wheel

Your car was likely not delivered with winter tires, so I wouldnt expect those to pass (or said another way I would expect you to be charged for tires at some point, possibly "later" if you turn the car in with winter tires).

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for someone selling their newly delivered tires because they were switching, or some used tires from a tesla owner, that were enough over the threshhold to still be viable on lease return.
Thank you!

Upvote 0