Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S to 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went from an S to a 3 last year. I'd say the noise level is comparable but the ride on the 3 is definitely a bit stiffer. I had the air suspension on the S and it felt somewhat smoother but almost mushy when compared to the 3. It's personal preference but I love the drive of the 3. It's so much more responsive and easier to get around in and park. Make sure you get a test drive and compare for yourself.

Went from a 75D to a 3 LR AWD in December. My S had the standard suspension and 19" wheels, so similar in that regard to the 3.

Pro S:
1) The S had a much more refined ride... quieter, less bumpy and I didn't feel the speed as much. I'm not sure this is better but could be important for some.
2) I remember thinking the 3 was slower off the line (different motors and it takes longer to get the energy to the 3 motor).. there was some article on this a while back).
3) I very much liked having both screens and the vertical screen in the S is more useful. The 3 requires more taking eyes off the road to play adjust things and is poorly designed in this aspect.
4) I think the S looks better
5) I miss the sunroof (just for easy venting... don't think that's even an option now)
6) I got better average range with the S. I have no idea why since I'm an aggressive driver in both.

Pro 3:
1) I like the 3 size better... both width and length.
2) I prefer the way the 3 handles... probably due to the size
3) Probably the best value on the car market all things considered
4) The steering column has a larger movement options (out and up)
5) I think the visibility while driving is better
6) The cup holders in the front armrest of the S never made sense to me (less important now but I still think they are stupid)
7) Better storage compartments

Same:

1) I'm mixed on the seats as both have different strengths.

I’ve never ridden in an S, and it doesn’t matter. Those that transitioned may have had similar experiences but, there’s always another dimension of “take” on their experience. My advice, go test drive one and see for yourself. What better comparison?!

I currently have both 75D and SR+.
Both are great cars in their own respects.
MS has a more refined/plusher ride and is definitively more quiet.
M3 has a stiffer ride and you feel all the bumps.
MS does feel "heavier" when driving while M3 is more nimble and feels "light" in comparison.
Given models I have, MS is much faster.
M3 is easier to park and maneuver in tight spaces though (obviously due to its size).
Love the trunk size and the automatic hatch of MS - comes in handy when moving larger cargo.
Personally, prefer the dash layout of MS (dual screens), but it's very easy to get used to one screen of M3.
For what you get, M3 represents much better value for your money.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
Any owners who went from an S to 3? I have an S and considering getting a 3 and selling the S.
Beyond the obvious (size etc.), how is the interior noise level, ride quality? Thanks!

I still have both. When I went from ICE to S, that experience was mindblowing. Loved the S. When I got my 3, it was yet another mindblowing experience. The handling on the 3 is amazing. And I love the smaller steering wheel.

S is still nice for family vacations. It's definitely smoother and quieter (about 5 dBs based on my testing). I recently got Tesla's roof rack for the 3, so it now has more utility for vacations. My LR RWD is also really efficient and I get less range anxiety than in the S85.

• Informative
I went from an S to a 3 last year. I'd say the noise level is comparable but the ride on the 3 is definitely a bit stiffer. I had the air suspension on the S and it felt somewhat smoother but almost mushy when compared to the 3. It's personal preference but I love the drive of the 3. It's so much more responsive and easier to get around in and park. Make sure you get a test drive and compare for yourself.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

I went from a P100DL to a P3D. Wasn't my original intention, wife got a P3D and after driving it a month realized that the 3 would do almost everything I wanted, minus the large rear hatch for occasionally carrying bigger items. I had been in an S since 2014, and now the 3 for 10 months. Glad I made the switch.

Do you miss the ludicrous or the performance of your p100d @Firewired ?

Do you miss the ludicrous or the performance of your p100d @Firewired ?

My 17 year old thought I was crazy at first, but now has seen the light. The P100D has an amazing amount of forward acceleration, but after a while is like a one trick pony versus I get to enjoy the better handling much more often. Along with that are the other improvements in the 3 in general and the P3D specifically such as the better brakes, the more performance oriented suspension. This includes all the other benefits of better visibility, better headlights, better sound system, better AC (I'm in Texas), faster computer, right now faster charging opportunity when supercharging, better overall efficiency and surprisingly much better screen.

I was in the Showroom last week and sat in P100D and found the new version of the seats more comfortable with better lateral support than my P3Ds and my prior P100D, though surprisingly I had to do a double take of the center screen. I thought at first that there was something wrong with it. After having been in the 3 and going back and looking at the S, the Model S screen appears to be a lower resolution and not nearly as crisp, and less responsive.

Despite all the initial reports of Model 3 build quality, I have found that Tesla resolved a lot of the issues I had come up in my P85DL and P100D. I always thought the doors on the S lacked that solid close thunk, and almost seemed to double hit like not exactly perfectly aligned. In both our P3Ds the doors close solidly and perfectly. I also had the door handle mechanism fail several times. I think making that mechanism manual is perfect. It will never brake. I had several of the screens hit with the yellow edging from the adhesive delimitation. This is not an issue with the 3. I think it will be really fascinating to see what Tesla brings over from the 3 with the September Model S redesign.

Really the only thing I missing from the S is the rear trunk opening when I have to put something larger in the trunk. Be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I went from a P100DL to a P3D. Wasn't my original intention, wife got a P3D and after driving it a month realized that the 3 would do almost everything I wanted, minus the large rear hatch for occasionally carrying bigger items. I had been in an S since 2014, and now the 3 for 10 months. Glad I made the switch.
Similar story here, except my first S was in 2012. Also, I'll add that what tipped it for me was that the track experience (autocross and lapping, in my case) are dramatically better for me in the 3.

• Informative
Similar story here, except my first S was in 2012. Also, I'll add that what tipped it for me was that the track experience (autocross and lapping, in my case) are dramatically better for me in the 3.

I am considering the unplugged performance sway bars just to add a bit more torsional rigidity in the corners. Have you had any experience with those? They seem like a great value to me.

I am considering the unplugged performance sway bars just to add a bit more torsional rigidity in the corners. Have you had any experience with those? They seem like a great value to me.
I'm "suffering" (1st world?) through two problems: tire wear (shoulder) and brake pad wear. The former is a much bigger problem than the latter.

A shop that comes well recommended suggested the following upgrades (that I'm considering):
MCS 2 Way None Remote Damper Set
MCS FSA MCS Front Spring Adapter Set
MCS Sway Bar Bracket Set
Eibach 6inch 2.25ID 800lb Spring (Front)
Eibach 6inch 2.5ID 1000lb Spring (Rear)

Opinions from people that know this stuff definitely welcome. :)

I think it will be really fascinating to see what Tesla brings over from the 3 with the September Model S redesign.

I'm betting the S refresh will be underwhelming. It'' be more like bringing it on par with the 3 on various things and the changes just might even be incremental. For instance, the screen, the faster computer, door handles, key card + phone entry, the AC system, and yes perhaps even the single screen design .. etc.

The main reason I feel this way - it makes very little business sense for Tesla to invest heavily in S. Any amazing things they do there, will be sold to much fewer people, simply because of it's price point.

Most car manufacturers, do the reverse, introduce higher end features on higher end cars as test, and then trickle them down to their fleet. Tesla will be doing the reverse I bet because they are trying to capture a market than to sustain it.

Thank you for all your answers.

My S is a 2015 AP1. Today I test drove the latest 100D and 3 dual motor long range.

Here are my impressions,
  1. S hasn't really improved much since 2015, the two main things that stuck out were seats are newer (head rest is now adjustable), and AP2. There may be other improvements, but none that matter to me day to day.
  2. AP2 is finally better than AP1.
  3. Navigate on AP is nice, but in it's current form not worth $6000. Yeah I know the promise of "It'll be awesome in a year", but to each their own, I don't feel like giving an interest free loan to Tesla with no maturity date. AP is perhaps the biggest selling point in a Tesla.
  4. Tesla's reps make me groan sometimes. The guy kept telling me about how their neural network is growing exponentially now. I'll remain anonymous here but my day to day work is AI and Security, I just nodded at everything he said, but seriously man!
  5. I'll say the S's ride is smoother and quieter, but it does feel like driving a boat. 3 does feel nimble but you do feel the bumps and noise far more than S. I can see why the 3 can be a lot more fun.
  6. 3's AC was surprisingly nice - with an S I had grown accustomed to a poor AC and poor heat. AC that sounds like a helicopter, heat that always keeps my feet cold.
  7. 3 and S parked side by side, y'know the 3 is smaller, but it's not a small car. It's not a compact, it's more like a mid sized car. But 3 people sitting in the rear of the 3 will be tight. Possible, but tight.
  8. 3's 15" screen felt so small after getting used to S's 17" screen, but the screen quality and responsiveness felt better.
  9. Subjective: But S is the prettiest car Tesla has ever made. X looks like a toad, 3 looks like the love child of Toad and pretty S. The 2020 roadster is super sexy, but totally impractical for my needs.
  10. I wish Tesla offered nicer smaller sized wheels on the 3. It's either ugly or big.
  11. 3's rear seats are surprisingly uncomfortable.
Probably a few other things I am missing, but as much as I like the cars, the uninformed sales folks, and the overall poor service + repair story that hasn't really improved over the past 4 years despite numerous promises do make me hesitate getting another Tesla. I think I'll drive a few non Tesla EVs before making the final decision, especially since today there is more choice than there was 4 years ago.

Added later:
Elon has said these cars will appreciate. Given the deprecation I have seen on my S, I'll eat my hat if this statement is correct.

Last edited: