Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S to Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The comparison Porsche doesn’t want you to make is that against the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Same performance specs, similar charging speeds, track rated, longer EPA range(?), amazing handling characteristics, same general body size - only with more interior room particularly the back seat, and likely almost 2x cargo space... for about half the estimated price. Not to mention autopilot, Tesla’s integrated supercharger network, and rapid frequency of OTA upgrades. Mind you, I’m glad there is finally some good competition, but I would love to see this same test with the Performance Model 3.

The comparison Porsche doesn’t want you to make is that against the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Same performance specs, similar charging speeds, track rated, longer EPA range(?), amazing handling characteristics, same general body size - only with more interior room particularly the back seat, and likely almost 2x cargo space... for about half the estimated price. Not to mention autopilot, Tesla’s integrated supercharger network, and rapid frequency of OTA upgrades. Mind you, I’m glad there is finally some good competition, but I would love to see this same test with the Performance Model 3.

Exactly. I have been saying all along that the Taycan is a Model 3 competitor, not a Model S competitor.

Since we have all waited so long for some solid info, I will now just sit back and hope the specs are better than anticipted based on the mule intelligence to date. Actually I am kind of liking my Cayenne and will most likely keep it to keep the Taycan company in the next bay just in case little Taycan catches a cold or has some hiccups from being born to soon. Good luck to all of us !

I don't think anyone would try to decide between a $60k Model 3 Performance, and a $120k Porsche Taycan. The price spread is just too big!

I totally agree with the Tesla advantages, such as interior/cargo space, OTA updates, range and supercharging.

The traditional Porsche buyer is not used to any of this, and doesn't necessarily expect it. They are more likely focused on ultimate performance, including on the track, customized options, and status ("I drive a Porshhh" - most can't even pronounce the name correctly). And I believe the Taycan will deliver.

We have already seen that the Taycan's performance is impressive. Not when it comes to drag racing a few times, but overall. I have no doubt that the car will feel phenomenal, as Porsches always do. I also believe it will be very, very well made. You won't see finish quality issues like on a Tesla. Then they usually have a large book of options to choose from, and if that's not enough, their Exclusive department will pretty much fulfill any wish right there at the factory, with warranty. It will be the ultimate luxury item that does incredibly on the track.

So, will I trade my Porsche and the Model S for a Taycan? Probably not.

Right now, I only drive my Porsche when I want to go slow. The Model S offers more performance than I ever need - particularly considering that I don't drive on the track. What's much more important to me is:

- The flexibility of the hatchback layout (the Macan will have a regular trunk, which is not practical for me and the reason I don't have a Model 3). I have carried two rolled-up IKEA mattresses in the trunk of my Model S. Plus boxes and small furniture filling the whole back. Hard to believe what you can transport with this car!
- I'm a geek, so I love the OTA software updates. It's not clear what Porsche will offer in that regard.
- I drive 500 mile trips a few times a year, and the supercharger network has worked wonderfully for me. It is mega convenient, not requiring any charge cards, credit cards or mobile apps to start charging!
- The Taycan is out of my price range, though it will be interesting to see how many people dump it with a big loss when they realize how difficult it is to find fast chargers for it.

Still, I can't wait to feel and drive one. Who knows - maybe it will make me forget everything I love about Tesla? Unlikely, but I'm keeping an open mind.

I don't think anyone would try to decide between a $60k Model 3 Performance, and a $120k Porsche Taycan. The price spread is just too big!

I totally agree with the Tesla advantages, such as interior/cargo space, OTA updates, range and supercharging.

The traditional Porsche buyer is not used to any of this, and doesn't necessarily expect it. They are more likely focused on ultimate performance, including on the track, customized options, and status ("I drive a Porshhh" - most can't even pronounce the name correctly). And I believe the Taycan will deliver.

We have already seen that the Taycan's performance is impressive. Not when it comes to drag racing a few times, but overall. I have no doubt that the car will feel phenomenal, as Porsches always do. I also believe it will be very, very well made. You won't see finish quality issues like on a Tesla. Then they usually have a large book of options to choose from, and if that's not enough, their Exclusive department will pretty much fulfill any wish right there at the factory, with warranty. It will be the ultimate luxury item that does incredibly on the track.

- The Taycan is out of my price range, though it will be interesting to see how many people dump it with a big loss when they realize how difficult it is to find fast chargers for it.

Still, I can't wait to feel and drive one. Who knows - maybe it will make me forget everything I love about Tesla? Unlikely, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Your points are valid. Most of the buyers (I believe) will not be Tesla converts (as Porsche is suggesting), but diehard Porsche owners/fans... who have yet to experience the EV performance advantages (or know the difference with Tesla). And the quality no doubt will be superb.

Drag racing comparison vids will show up soon enough. Let the chips fall/schooling begin then.

Most don’t know how to pronounce Taycan (Ti-kan) either.

Your points are valid. Most of the buyers (I believe) will not be Tesla converts (as Porsche is suggesting), but diehard Porsche owners/fans... who have yet to experience the EV performance advantages (or know the difference with Tesla). And the quality no doubt will be superb.

Drag racing comparison vids will show up soon enough. Let the chips fall/schooling begin then.

Most don’t know how to pronounce Taycan (Ti-kan) either.
Hopefully Taycan owners won’t be silly enough to drag race S and X Performance models. Races with the M3P should be close with the result dependent on battery SoC of each vehicle.

Reactions: outdoors
Keep in mind the Taycan does have 2 gears. Making mid/high-range acceleration superior to Tesla.

Below are approximate 0-125 mph time:
~14.1 seconds - Model 3 Performance
~11.2 seconds - Model S P100D
~9.9x seconds - Porsche Taycan (pre-production)​

Having said that, the Supercharging network is something Porsche adopters won't be able to compete on (yet). For that reason, Tesla makes far more sense for the majority of us, sans the track warriors.

I own both MACAN Turbo and P85 model s....the interior quality and craftsmanship on theTesla is way behind and very poor...compare to Porsche.

1) no vented seat...and not very firm seats
2) apple CarPlay on porsche and not on Tesla
3) too much plastic on door trim compare to porsche

Performance wise...you can’t be Tesla

Reactions: pilotSteve
Spoke with a friend who works at one of the companies mentioned in this thread as an engineering manager. He says they never look at the competition - he has never even driven a competitive product! Rather, they push forward with what they believe offers the most benefit for their customers while preserving the character of the brand.

He never mentioned any fear of competition, or trying to kill a competitor. Instead, he feels that there should be multiple brands that represent different characters of products for different types of buyers. One example he mentioned are Easter Eggs. Tesla and Porsche owners will likely perceive them very differently.

Take that for what it's worth...

Last edited:

So, will I trade my Porsche and the Model S for a Taycan? Probably not.

Right now, I only drive my Porsche when I want to go slow. The Model S offers more performance than I ever need - particularly considering that I don't drive on the track. What's much more important to me is:

- The flexibility of the hatchback layout (the Macan will have a regular trunk, which is not practical for me and the reason I don't have a Model 3). I have carried two rolled-up IKEA mattresses in the trunk of my Model S. Plus boxes and small furniture filling the whole back. Hard to believe what you can transport with this car!
- I'm a geek, so I love the OTA software updates. It's not clear what Porsche will offer in that regard.
- I drive 500 mile trips a few times a year, and the supercharger network has worked wonderfully for me. It is mega convenient, not requiring any charge cards, credit cards or mobile apps to start charging!

If you are charging twice the price I would think you would be throwing in lots of options and high, high end materials. I like a lot of Porsche's styling in general (not really in love with the front of this vehicle though) but let's face it the Taycan is a 4-seater car not intended for family use. I watched the Fully Charged video when it came out and kind of came away with the best part of it was that it could do multiple launches. I thought that was something that Tesla's P3 could do (which I assume will be carried over to the Model S/X when that is updated).

BTW I thought during the video, maybe near the end, they mentioned that the Taycan will have a number of different configurations which I assumed meant lower end trim models of it at reduced prices. Wonder how they will do the badging for those.

If you are charging twice the price I would think you would be throwing in lots of options and high, high end materials. I like a lot of Porsche's styling in general (not really in love with the front of this vehicle though) but let's face it the Taycan is a 4-seater car not intended for family use. I watched the Fully Charged video when it came out and kind of came away with the best part of it was that it could do multiple launches. I thought that was something that Tesla's P3 could do (which I assume will be carried over to the Model S/X when that is updated).

BTW I thought during the video, maybe near the end, they mentioned that the Taycan will have a number of different configurations which I assumed meant lower end trim models of it at reduced prices. Wonder how they will do the badging for those.
I heard that the higher end version will be called "Taycan Turbo". No turbo, but following the naming of the other top models in the family.

You sure? Any reference, to confirm?
Absolutely sure, as I have been following the Taycan development with great interest. Honestly I'm bewildered the 2-speed transaxle has been more prominently covered by most publications. It's a real performance advantage, although impact to reliability is unknown (additional point of failure). The next gen Tesla Roadster will surely have at least 2-speed as well, in order to achieve low-end performance without compromising top-end.

Here's one reference off the top of my head ...
Porsche Taycan 2-Speed Rear Transaxle: Performance Modeled

Absolutely sure, as I have been following the Taycan development with great interest. Honestly I'm bewildered the 2-speed transaxle has been more prominently covered by most publications. It's a real performance advantage, although impact to reliability is unknown (additional point of failure). The next gen Tesla Roadster will surely have at least 2-speed as well, in order to achieve low-end performance without compromising top-end.

Here's one reference off the top of my head ...
Porsche Taycan 2-Speed Rear Transaxle: Performance Modeled

Your posts make me want to check the bottoms of my shoes.

-The Tesla Roadster will NOT have a 2 speed gearbox, we tried that with a much less powerful first gen roadster and it was an unnecessary disaster. Let's revisit in 2021 to see who's right?
-Walk me through the scenario where a mid to high 11 second Taycan (that supposedly does 0-60 in 3.?? seconds), goes 0-125 mph in 9.9 seconds?

Now for some speculation of my own..... Once the Taycan is FINALLY released, you may find yourself perusing through YouTube. You click on a race video, featuring the Taycan vs the P100DL, on the popular CarWow channel.

They both take off at the same time but the Tesla crosses the 1/4 mile line 10 car lengths ahead of the Porsche. How do I know? Because I watched Porsche, obsessively benchmark the Taycan, against the P85D ( not the P90D and not the P100D). They rented, borrowed or bought virtually every available P85D in Germany. Ten car lengths is exactly how the race goes between my P85D and my P100DL.