Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Palladium Motorized Screen Tilt Kit

Which kit would you prefer? See post for details.

• Mechanical

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Switches

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Simple Integration

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Full Integration

Votes: 60 60.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very early first pass of powered tilt. Final gears will be smoother and quieter.

I'm about halfway through creating a kit for those of us who wish to retrofit tilting capabilities to our Palladium S's and X's. This is a result of an intense hunt for motors matching the complete mechanism, and months working with an aerospace gear cutter to create a proper worm drive interface for the tilt mechanism in our cars. But I have a question for you, the community who may be interested in this kit.

What features do you want?

There are four possible options, each of varying complexity and cost. I may offer more than one - and possibly every - option later, but for now I'd like to focus development efforts on a single solution. The feature breakdown, as well as ballpark prices, is as follows:

Mechanical. ~$250. Non-powered. This would be akin to the hand tilt mechanism kits currently offered for 3's/Y's. I'm still considering different methods of affixing the screen at the mechanism endpoints in such a way that facilitates easy movement, but stays fixed when the screen is touched, likely using detents or magnets. Would likely only be affixed at mechanism endpoints and center.

Switches. ~$500. Powered, in the same way shown in the video. Discrete switches would be integrated into the small grill panel just below the screen/just above the Qi charging pads. One switch for tilting toward the driver and back, the other for tilting toward the passenger and back. There would be no motor controller other than your finger, so stopping at endpoints and returning to center before changing tilt direction is your responsibility. Screen would stay affixed at any given travel position.

Simple Integration. ~$750. Powered, with the same characteristics as Switches, but direction input is now controlled with Yoke buttons. Which ones, TBD.

Full Integration. ~$1,000. This would theoretically match the feature characteristics as intended by Tesla. Automatic endpoint stops and direction management. Tilt direction automatically determined by seat occupancy as well as Yoke control. Automatic return to center after leaving the car. Will require time for coding the controller and ensuring reliability.

So vote and let me know.

In case anyone asks - OEM reintroduction of screen tilting isn't looking so hot. I've been hunting and collating information on the mechanism for months, and it's been a complete mess. Some sources say it was withheld due to reliability issues, Elon's own comments indicate part availability issues. The EPC has been extremely inconsistent this whole time, and just today the tilt mechanism part number was scrubbed from the S/X EPC entirely. Seriously, check for yourself. It was part #6 in the Model S Dash Support Frame parts list but the list now skips from #5 directly to #7.

Completely changes the feel of the car.

This is the mechanical implementation. It's easy to implement but proving tricky to implement reliably and repeatedly - the mechanism was designed to be powered, after all. As such I highly recommend one of the powered options. A second pass of the gears are being produced by the cutter, and once I have them, I'll likely be focusing on the simple and full integration packages as I feel they'll provide an experience much more worthy of a $100k+ car.

Attachments

• F799D985-E8D3-4CEC-9F7A-B983961D9C01.jpeg
    F799D985-E8D3-4CEC-9F7A-B983961D9C01.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 1,620
  • 4278D1FF-AC54-440C-AF97-4B900AA03B37.jpeg
    4278D1FF-AC54-440C-AF97-4B900AA03B37.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 366
  • 5D876160-200A-4D1D-865A-9D9FD9312122.jpeg
    5D876160-200A-4D1D-865A-9D9FD9312122.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 367
  • F8E1FEE8-994B-4823-A9A5-2B30801B728B.jpeg
    F8E1FEE8-994B-4823-A9A5-2B30801B728B.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 361
  • E0F181DA-CB65-46B3-8D79-BEC40640D347.jpeg
    E0F181DA-CB65-46B3-8D79-BEC40640D347.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 364

This is the mechanical implementation. It's easy to implement but proving tricky to implement reliably and repeatedly - the mechanism was designed to be powered, after all. As such I highly recommend one of the powered options. A second pass of the gears are being produced by the cutter, and once I have them, I'll likely be focusing on the simple and full integration packages as I feel they'll provide an experience much more worthy of a $100k+ car.
Take my money.

Definitely more interested in the mechanical implementation. Not a matter of money, it's just a matter of the user interface. I'd much rather push or pull on the screen to get it to where I want it instead of pressing a button. Are gears necessary for the mechanical option? Wouldn't a simple friction mechanism work?

Definitely more interested in the mechanical implementation. Not a matter of money, it's just a matter of the user interface. I'd much rather push or pull on the screen to get it to where I want it instead of pressing a button. Are gears necessary for the mechanical option? Wouldn't a simple friction mechanism work?
+1 would much rather have mechanical for simplicity and ease of use. Would rather not mess with the existing wiring to integrate it and I’d likely just tilt it my way and leave it there 99% of the time.

+1 would much rather have mechanical for simplicity and ease of use. Would rather not mess with the existing wiring to integrate it and I’d likely just tilt it my way and leave it there 99% of the time.
Understood, but to clarify, the integration options would require connecting a single plug from the kit into a connector in the dash. That's all. No messing with wires necessary.

Just a status update. Still waiting on v2 of the custom gears from the gear cutter. Will likely have them next week. Sources have confirmed to me these gears are why tilting wasn't shipped in the cars; their design is faulty and leads to inevitable failure. Unfortunately this was discovered too late in production and Tesla is burning through their existing inventory before revisiting the design.

That being the case, Tesla has now made the mechanism itself a restricted part. I can no longer order them, and as such I can no longer shipped pre-assembled tilting mechanisms. I can either ship out the individual parts and instructions, or charge a refundable core fee as I do have a few of the mechanism cores on hand.

Just a status update. Still waiting on v2 of the custom gears from the gear cutter. Will likely have them next week. Sources have confirmed to me these gears are why tilting wasn't shipped in the cars; their design is faulty and leads to inevitable failure. Unfortunately this was discovered too late in production and Tesla is burning through their existing inventory before revisiting the design.

That being the case, Tesla has now made the mechanism itself a restricted part. I can no longer order them, and as such I can no longer shipped pre-assembled tilting mechanisms. I can either ship out the individual parts and instructions, or charge a refundable core fee as I do have a few of the mechanism cores on hand.
I’d be good with the core fee, but depending on complexity, parts and instructions would be fine as well. Which version are you planning to make available first?

Reactions: JimBob 909
When viewing the video that Sandy Munro did, it looks like you can run the mechanism (on either side) in and out with a drill. If one wanted to just slightly tilt out the right side say two inches, could that not just be done ? It looks like the trim piece is in there that hides the mechanism when it retracts etc. I certainly cannot speak for others but have to believe that the most common use case would be just to tilt the display towards the driver a bit for ergonomics and that's all. Ideally (with your kit @Casey_S) it would be nice to be able to just hand pull/push into position. That is a kit I would line up for. Electric actuation seems eloquent but complex/overkill for the use here.

I'd be fine with installing the parts myself with a basic set of instructions

I’m all in for the fully integrated version and I know another Plaid owner who’d be interested in that as well.

In fact you beat us to the punch. We were meeting next weekend to figure out how we can motorize the mechanism.

Also agree with @SUPRKAR. Fine with DYI installation provided instructions are provided. Maybe a video is all that’s needed for instructions.

If you can do it, screen controls on the yoke would a fantastic feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja
Armed with the info provided in the Munro video, I am planning to remove my screen this weekend and manually adjust the mechanism to bring the right side out two inches for a slight tilt towards the driver seat. I am anticipating that the trim piece will be there so it will look like an OEM finish. If I am able to get to this, I will not do a video of it but will take photos and will create an application document and upload. I am going to explore how hard it would be to rig the mechanism that would enable a manual pull/push on either side to allow adjustment. In the Munro video, it appears that they simply had to loosen the hardware to allow the screen to articulate and then tighten it up. This motivates me to think that Plan A of just repositioning permanently would be straightforward. I am also then wondering if I can add plastic washers on either side of the hardware that keeps the screen locked in place and not totally tighten it if it could allow enough freedom to grab/pull/push and hold the position so that would be Plan B outcome. There is some gearing hardware in place that is designed to connect to the motors (one either side) and that may or may not need to be removed or freed up.

I am not trying in any way to take away business from anyone planning to offer/commercialize a solution and believe there is a much much larger market for that custom solution however I think there are maybe a few of us around with some technical prowess that may be interested in some further approaches or especially a simple process that would allow a tilt towards the driver and then locked in place for good. More to follow.