Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Palladium Motorized Screen Tilt Kit

Which kit would you prefer? See post for details.

• Mechanical

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Switches

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Simple Integration

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Full Integration

Votes: 60 60.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did this using the DIY and love the result so far. A couple of notes:

It took me probably 3 hours. This is about right as anytime I do a car project and there is a time estimate I usually double it for my slow self.

My wireless phone charger had 3 plugs instead of 2 as in the DIY. The cable noted as being "unused" in the DIY that was behind the restraint loop as plugged in on mine.

My drill (Black and Decker) would not lock its chuck onto the shaft to change the orientation of the screen. I ended up using vice grips and that worked just as well. There are small torx screws that surround the shaft that got in the way of the vice grips so I removed them and then reinstalled when I was done.

Finally, if you tilt to a severe angle the plastic vanity cover thing that hides the mechanism that you snap on and off of the back fo the screen will prevent the screen from bolting back in correctly. You have to have a little bit of clearance between the bolt hole on the tilt mechanism and the side of the plastic cover. Not much, a little will do.

Reactions: nhaneezy
My wireless phone charger had 3 plugs instead of 2 as in the DIY. The cable noted as being "unused" in the DIY that was behind the restraint loop as plugged in on mine.
AH ! I am so sorry for not updating the DIY to correct this point. I use my phone only to access the car and drive via BT. Some time after doing the project I noticed in the app under connectivity it was showing a yellow caution triangle and saying something about ‘diminished performance’. I did not pay attention for a few more weeks and then I tried the fob and key card in the phone holder and they did not work ! It dawned on me then that something was wrong so I pulled the holder off and reinspected and realized that there was an open connector and yes, it was for the cable that was secured by the loop. That is the card reader connection ! I will update the DIY this weekend and thank you for noting this 😎

Last edited:
The internet
Great. So you come here and tell people that the mechanisms are not there and it depends on build date with nothing to back up the information you are spreading...that is super helpful.

I can say definitively that my early March build has the mechanism, just no motors. That is a re-fresh-re-fresh. So I doubt very much that any cars have been delivered without the screen tilt mechanism.

Fact check my friend, the internet is not a great source of truth. (he says on the internet, the irony is not lost on me)

• Funny
Reactions: lbowroom
Great. So you come here and tell people that the mechanisms are not there and it depends on build date with nothing to back up the information you are spreading...that is super helpful.

I can say definitively that my early March build has the mechanism, just no motors. That is a re-fresh-re-fresh. So I doubt very much that any cars have been delivered without the screen tilt mechanism.

Fact check my friend, the internet is not a great source of truth. (he says on the internet, the irony is not lost on me)
I'll be more careful with issues that are so important.

I'll be more careful with issues that are so important.
Its all good. This is a spicy topic as the mechanism is there but not the motors. This was fairly recently discovered so a few of us manually tilted the screen to an optimum position however we remain hopeful that there will be a retrofit that adds the designed functionality. Honestly, if it is never going to happen then Tesla are fools to continue to ship with the mechanism as it is an engineering work of art and complexity just to hold a screen flat to an IP !

Reactions: Bull and Daniel454
Here is the DIY guide.
Did the manual pivot this last weekend, thanks again for the how to!

A heads up for those with a refresh / refresh. My March build had different wiring / connections behind the panel beneath the screen...

Blue connector on the right appeared to be the same, but the middle / black connector did not have a push button release (at least not one I could find)....

I ended up just removing the screws to the fan and letting it hang rather than remove that connector.

And the left green connector was replaced with another black connector that was connected to a RJ45 (network cable) port....

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 83