Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Palladium Motorized Screen Tilt Kit

Which kit would you prefer? See post for details.

• Mechanical

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Switches

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Simple Integration

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Full Integration

Votes: 60 60.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you provide a link or screenshot to the page you're talking about? I can't seem to find a description of the tilt screen from the June 2021 order page.
The page will be relative to your order date. The Wayback machine does not record every single webpage, but there are many saved and most likely you can find a previous tesla.com webpage that is close in timeframe to when you ordered. Also, I think any page showing the tilting screen option will get the message across. The idea is to say to Telsa, "Hey you promised us this feature, WTF!! Don't be a douche and renege (yes that is spelled correctly, I didn't think so either so I looked it up) on your promise. Hey Elon don't be a tease, just spend a tiny bit of that crazy bank on a few of your extremely loyal customers and give us our tilting screen!!

The page will be relative to your order date. The Wayback machine does not record every single webpage, but there are many saved and most likely you can find a previous tesla.com webpage that is close in timeframe to when you ordered. Also, I think any page showing the tilting screen option will get the message across. The idea is to say to Telsa, "Hey you promised us this feature, WTF!! Don't be a douche and renege (yes that is spelled correctly, I didn't think so either so I looked it up) on your promise. Hey Elon don't be a tease, just spend a tiny bit of that crazy bank on a few of your extremely loyal customers and give us our tilting screen!!
I succeeded in finding the order page for my June 13 order. But I could not find any reference to a tilting screen on that order page. That's why I asked for a link or a screenshot to find out if I'm perhaps looking in the wrong place.

Searching again, I find that place where it should be mentioned if it is mentioned does not mention it.

Three Displays​

With 2200x1300 resolution, ultra-bright colors and exceptional responsiveness, the new center display is an ideal touchscreen for entertainment and gaming anywhere. A second display in front of the driver shows various vehicle information, and a third display provides entertainment and controls for rear passengers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Great White
I succeeded in finding the order page for my June 13 order. But I could not find any reference to a tilting screen on that order page. That's why I asked for a link or a screenshot to find out if I'm perhaps looking in the wrong place.

Searching again, I find that place where it should be mentioned if it is mentioned does not mention it.

Three Displays​

With 2200x1300 resolution, ultra-bright colors and exceptional responsiveness, the new center display is an ideal touchscreen for entertainment and gaming anywhere. A second display in front of the driver shows various vehicle information, and a third display provides entertainment and controls for rear passengers.
Tesla scrubbed all references to the screen from the website. And it’s not something that would be listed on the order page. But the language was there at the time they began taking orders. It is mentioned on numerous websites after the unveiling:

Three Displays​

“With 2200×1300 resolution, ultra-bright colors with exceptional responsiveness and left-right tilt, the new center display is an ideal touchscreen for entertainment and gaming anywhere. A second display in front of the driver shows critical driving information, and a third display provides entertainment and controls for rear passengers.”

Reactions: Great White

Three Displays​

So it appears by the time you ordered they had already decided to de-list the tilt screen feature.
I recommend sending them the next newest web page showing the tilt screen as part of the new design. They know it was offered and the idea is to let them know that you knew about it and you were expecting it and they need to do the right thing and get you a tiling screen.

• Love
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I tried setting up a service appointment, and included the photos of what the website said when I ordered it. They cancelled the appointment and said they have no instructions from headquarters on how to retrofit.
Maybe can someone start a petition for this retrofit as it was clearly there on the website for a while and all it is missing is the motors for the functionality to work?

• Funny
Reactions: lbowroom
I tried setting up a service appointment, and included the photos of what the website said when I ordered it. They cancelled the appointment and said they have no instructions from headquarters on how to retrofit.
That’s a BS response from Tesla.

The solution is: order missing parts, install them, update software. They shouldn’t need any instructions from HQ.

Maybe can someone start a petition for this retrofit as it was clearly there on the website for a while and all it is missing is the motors for the functionality to work?
The missing motors would be required. But the real issue would be the software update to make it all work via the touchscreen. Again, it’s something Tesla could easily do. But they just will not.

That’s a BS response from Tesla.

The solution is: order missing parts, install them, update software. They shouldn’t need any instructions from HQ.
I don't know about HQ but it will need Tesla Engineering to get involved to get that option in the toolbox for Service technicians to enable it.. I think HQ will need to first consider Retrofits, Than Engineering will have to make that available to Service tech to enable that switch. As of rite now I don't think Service tech at service center has even an option to enable it even if they say install the hardware which is needed.

I agree though Tesla should make this Retofit going ... for the model S/x which are missing these parts.

I am probably in the minority but I don't really care if Tesla offers it if I could just get the motors and get it working myself.

(nothing against those that want the full solution, I do think its wrong they showed it on the website but never delivered... For me it wasn't even showing on the website when I ordered anyway.)

Again, for me though, not even worried about it showing up in the software...
In fact, the original Tesla design just gives you 3 locations, far left, centered, far right. You cant put it in between....

I would be fine installing a hidden switch some where that I could just hold and move it in / around to ANY location and it stay.

Very early first pass of powered tilt. Final gears will be smoother and quieter.

I'm about halfway through creating a kit for those of us who wish to retrofit tilting capabilities to our Palladium S's and X's. This is a result of an intense hunt for motors matching the complete mechanism, and months working with an aerospace gear cutter to create a proper worm drive interface for the tilt mechanism in our cars. But I have a question for you, the community who may be interested in this kit.

What features do you want?

There are four possible options, each of varying complexity and cost. I may offer more than one - and possibly every - option later, but for now I'd like to focus development efforts on a single solution. The feature breakdown, as well as ballpark prices, is as follows:

Mechanical. ~$250. Non-powered. This would be akin to the hand tilt mechanism kits currently offered for 3's/Y's. I'm still considering different methods of affixing the screen at the mechanism endpoints in such a way that facilitates easy movement, but stays fixed when the screen is touched, likely using detents or magnets. Would likely only be affixed at mechanism endpoints and center.

Switches. ~$500. Powered, in the same way shown in the video. Discrete switches would be integrated into the small grill panel just below the screen/just above the Qi charging pads. One switch for tilting toward the driver and back, the other for tilting toward the passenger and back. There would be no motor controller other than your finger, so stopping at endpoints and returning to center before changing tilt direction is your responsibility. Screen would stay affixed at any given travel position.

Simple Integration. ~$750. Powered, with the same characteristics as Switches, but direction input is now controlled with Yoke buttons. Which ones, TBD.

Full Integration. ~$1,000. This would theoretically match the feature characteristics as intended by Tesla. Automatic endpoint stops and direction management. Tilt direction automatically determined by seat occupancy as well as Yoke control. Automatic return to center after leaving the car. Will require time for coding the controller and ensuring reliability.

So vote and let me know.

In case anyone asks - OEM reintroduction of screen tilting isn't looking so hot. I've been hunting and collating information on the mechanism for months, and it's been a complete mess. Some sources say it was withheld due to reliability issues, Elon's own comments indicate part availability issues. The EPC has been extremely inconsistent this whole time, and just today the tilt mechanism part number was scrubbed from the S/X EPC entirely. Seriously, check for yourself. It was part #6 in the Model S Dash Support Frame parts list but the list now skips from #5 directly to #7.
Full integration for me.

Reactions: Krash
Since mine, like all refresh X's produced, already has the mechanicals, I just need the motors. Even the harness is already there to plug the motors in once they become available. The question then is does the controller detect the motors and turn on in software automatically or does it require service manually enable the feature in service mode.

As soon as the motors show up in the EPC, I'll be ordering them and installing them myself. Then if the software doesn't detect them, I'll have to pay tesla to turn it on...although if the service password remains the same as it is now, I might just see if I can do it myself in service mode which requires it be turned on when geo located near a service center.

Last edited:
Reactions: glide and Bull
Since mine, like all refresh X's produced, already has the mechanicals, I just need the motors. Even the harness is already there to plug the motors in once they become available. The question then is does the controller detect the motors and turn on in software automatically or does it require service manually enable the feature in service mode.

As soon as the motors show up in the EPC, I'll be ordering them and installing them myself. Then if the software doesn't detect them, I'll have to pay tesla to turn it on...although if the service password remains the same as it is now, I might just see if I can do it myself in service mode which requires it be turned on when geo located near a service center.
This won’t work. Save yourself the trouble.

This won’t work. Save yourself the trouble.

If you're referring to the swap video, there was lots not tried in that. First, he didn't even change the wheel size in settings which resets WAY more module state that a typical software update does.

Secondly, there are tons of flags that can only be set in engineering mode.

There's also the possibility that his particular X has a wiring problem.

Reactions: glide
If you're referring to the swap video, there was lots not tried in that. First, he didn't even change the wheel size in settings which resets WAY more module state that a typical software update does.

Secondly, there are tons of flags that can only be set in engineering mode.

There's also the possibility that his particular X has a wiring problem.
I’m still going to say no chance. But I’d love to be proven wrong, of course.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Guys the too requires config changes like, matrix headlight or taillight. They are open (not like supercharger) but still nobody got it done yet. I agree by motor and wire is there that is quick but like for the headlight everything have been tried, reboot software update and so on.