Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S100D Air Conditioner Cuts out on Humid Days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nov 2016 75D here (AP2) - i had the same problem with the louvers stuck and they fixed it (go outside car and look for the vents in the lower grille either side.

the blower speed even on recirc at 11 speed seems very weak? is that the general consensus or should i have that checked as well?

Similar graph on my Dec. 17 S:

Untitled.jpg

Brought it in for service a few weeks ago and they found faults and replaced some AC valves, but didn't actually fix it.

Got 2018.26 installed this morning, and coincidentally had an appointment at the service center. They say that they found the faults again (post-service, pre-.26) but got on the phone with "engineering" and were assured that .26 contains a fix.

Service folks seemed excited about it and claimed they were "meeting" about it. In Florida, so will know in a day or two if it's a real fix.

79EB7061-505C-4149-ABB0-CE34797AB4F8.jpeg

Earlier this week it hit 109 in my car while I was driving before the A/C came back online.

Also, I should point out this almost always happens in the first 5 min of a drive after pre-cooling the car. It is not the same as when the car diverts A/C to cool the battery on long trip.

Last edited:
I had this exact same issue with a non-Tesla car (Subaru). When it was really humid out, especially raining, the AC compressor would cut out and be intermittent. I'd toggle the AC button a bunch and it would eventually come back on for a bit before cutting out again.

The dealer said it was the AC compressor clutch but I had my doubts.

I had them replace the AC relay for $10 since it was in the shop anyway and the problem was 100% fixed. It never re-emerged.

Try toggling the AC compressor button to see if you can get the compressor to turn on when decides to click off. If you can, it may be a sticky relay which you can replace yourself in 5 minutes for about $10 or less.

Try toggling the AC compressor button to see if you can get the compressor to turn on when decides to click off. If you can, it may be a sticky relay which you can replace yourself in 5 minutes for about $10 or less.

Highly doubt it's just a relay. If the AC compressor would completely cut out the car would throw a bunch of error messages out. In an old ICE car the AC is non critical. The car runs fine with or without it. In a Tesla it is crucial to cool the battery and other parts. A non working AC compressor on a Tesla has serious consequences and the car will tell you.

I don't think there is a "relay" for the AC in a Tesla. There might be a contactor to control the ~350-400v that goes to the compressor, but they normally cost much more than a normal 12v relay.

Similar graph on my Dec. 17 S:

View attachment 318206
Brought it in for service a few weeks ago and they found faults and replaced some AC valves, but didn't actually fix it.

Got 2018.26 installed this morning, and coincidentally had an appointment at the service center. They say that they found the faults again (post-service, pre-.26) but got on the phone with "engineering" and were assured that .26 contains a fix.

Service folks seemed excited about it and claimed they were "meeting" about it. In Florida, so will know in a day or two if it's a real fix.

Been a couple 90+ and humid days with 2018.26 and still good, so fingers crossed it's really fixed!

I think we had our A/C ice up a week ago on a long trip. It was out for maybe an hour, slightly cool air and low airflow. Worked again after the next Supercharger. Turning it off for a while would probably work best to de-ice if it's not doing it itself. Haven't had this problem before, and have never seen so many complaints on TMC, so maybe something a fairly recent firmware update screwed up.
Same problem after long hot day... camping mode ... the they are working on firmware fix. If it’s muffled air, it’s likely frozen.

Had this issue a couple times driving to/from California on a long road trip. Having the A/C go out, in Nevada, in July is no-beuno. It would randomly go out for a few minutes and then kick back in. Before reading this I thought maybe the compressor was starting to go out but it seems like a louver issue. I'll ask about it when it goes it for its annual. I don't like the "Cool the battery before the passengers" mentality. This should not happen, especially when it's 108 degrees out. Car heats up like an oven with the glass roof.

Reactions: cybergates
Your radiator louvers are probably stuck in the closed position. Very common problem that causes reduced AC performance. Have service run a thermal stress test, it should reveal any issues.

I traded in my Model S for an X earlier this year, but last summer, I noticed the louvers were not opening on my S like they used to. When I took it in to Service, they said that they had updated the software such that the louvers hardly ever open any more. The Tech said it seems counter-intuitive, but somehow the condensers are supposed to get a more optimal airflow somehow like this. I left skeptical, but the guy was pretty adamant and seemed to know what he was talking about.

If the car battery gets too hot the car will choose to cool the battery first before you.

That's right but when it does that, it throws up a warning message to tell you it's doing so.

My 2018 P100D does this all the time. I often find that I have no AC for the first 5-10 minutes of my drive. I occasionally "lose" AC during a drive. In all cases, it eventually comes back but not before I've got the windows down to deal with the heat...

Received 26.3 update last night for my ‘16 MS75.
The Airconditioning is now working great and the battery usage is much better - low 300’s compared to mid 400’s. Lots of sweating and talking to the Lexus dealer about going back to their products after much frustration.

I don't think there is a "relay" for the AC in a Tesla. There might be a contactor to control the ~350-400v that goes to the compressor, but they normally cost much more than a normal 12v relay.

Good point. The relay in the ICE is to engage/disengage the compressor clutch which is needed because the engine is always turning. Obviously not needed in a Tesla but the compressor does cycle on and off normally.